Don't give up hope yet. Dublin can be beaten.

Started by Banter Panther, April 30, 2014, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banter Panther

Dublin tend to polarise opinion, let's put it that way. Let me just make it clear that this is not an anti-Dublin thread, although it may give hope to many out there who are. I am simply stating that their invincibility may not be as pronounced as many feel it is.

Dublin are an excellent team. I have stated on another thread that I think they're as good as Kerry or Tyrone were in the 00's, if not better, although they will have to prove it by tagging on a few more titles. Which I have no doubt they will do. For all the talk of perceived home advantage, which I think is a legitimate cause for concern, they would still be big favourites. Why? Because, quite simply, they are the best team in the country.

However, there is always a tendency to look at All-Ireland champions as infallible. Their weaknesses are overlooked. Going into last year's championship, Donegal were perceived by many to be unbeatable. It proved to be way off the mark.

Firstly, let's look at this. Were Dublin there for the taking last year? Yes. If Declan O'Sullivan's effort had gone over the bar, it could have all been so different. Dublin had to be at 100%, and they were. Could Mayo have taken them in the final? Well, they came within a point, and were far from their best, so why not? Dublin may not have been brilliant themselves, but that's another story.

Their last defence in 2012 was shaky throughout, and, ultimately, Mayo put them out. Tyrone had weaknesses that were overlooked before their title defences, and they were beaten by teams like Laois, Meath, Cork and Mayo. They were a fine team, but on their day they could be beaten.

It's easy to forget that Dublin were beaten more than once during the league proper, and Cork should really have beaten them from the position they held. If Cork had finished the job, would we be talking about Dublin as the hottest favourites in at least recent championship history.

I think they will win it, but don't assume Championship 2014 is a foregone conclusion. If Dublin have a bad day, Cork, Mayo, maybe Kerry can take them. Who knows? Let's look forward to the Championship. May the best team win, and if that team is Dublin, so be it.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

Asal Mor

Dublin are priced at evens, which must make them the shortest priced pre-Championship favorites since the great Kerry team of the 70s and 80s. I won't be backing them at that price(won a few quid on them last year though) but I think they'll win it. So much pace and goal threat, and a really strong panel that can cope with injuries too.

Aaron Boone

No chance, Dubs have it sewn up.

Most managers deep down are preparing for 2015 at this stage.

Banter Panther

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 01, 2014, 07:50:12 PM

Cute hoor building them up for a fall? :P

muppet

If some of them don't deliver in 2014, 'most managers' among the serious 2015 contenders could be new managers.

Donegal, Mayo, Kerry & even Tyrone could be interviewing in the winter if they have poor seasons.
MWWSI 2017

Banter Panther

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2014, 08:49:02 PM

If some of them don't deliver in 2014, 'most managers' among the serious 2015 contenders could be new managers.

Donegal, Mayo, Kerry & even Tyrone could be interviewing in the winter if they have poor seasons.
Interesting view. However, you'd have to wonder if, just because those managers haven't won All-Irelands, or haven't won any recently, does that mean that they're not the best men for the job? Not necessarily. You've to do the best with what you have.

Drummerboy

This time last year Donegal were red hot favourites and look what happened to them.

haze

I have this a few times but far from like for like. For one, this time last year Donegal had just been relegated while Dublin won the League. Hindsight is great of course but hard to see how Donegal would have been equally as fancied to win All Ireland last year as Dublin are now.

heffo

Quote from: Drummerboy on May 01, 2014, 10:25:44 PM
This time last year Donegal were red hot favourites and look what happened to them.

We're they?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: haze on May 01, 2014, 10:35:22 PM
I have this a few times but far from like for like. For one, this time last year Donegal had just been relegated while Dublin won the League. Hindsight is great of course but hard to see how Donegal would have been equally as fancied to win All Ireland last year as Dublin are now.

Well said, Donegal were not red-hot favourites. Certainly not in my estimation anyway. Dublin this year look unstoppable.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Banter Panther on May 01, 2014, 09:15:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2014, 08:49:02 PM

Interesting view. However, you'd have to wonder if, just because those managers haven't won All-Irelands, or haven't won any recently, does that mean that they're not the best men for the job? Not necessarily. You've to do the best with what you have.

That is a different question entirely.
MWWSI 2017

Thisonegoesto11

The market has Dublin evens which means it's 50-50 whether they'll win.
This is correct.  They are not odds on which reflects that anything can happen in the long hot summer (on some days it can be hot) ahead.

An evens horse is considered the best horse in a race on form and pedigree. It is not a sure thing as it has to face obstacles, possible injury , a lapse in concentration  and of course the sudden discovery of a form of another horse.
So in a nutshell, Dublin probably won't win the Epsom Derby

Banter Panther

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on May 02, 2014, 08:17:57 AM
This is correct.  They are not odds on which reflects that anything can happen in the long hot summer (on some days it can be hot) ahead.

An evens horse is considered the best horse in a race on form and pedigree. It is not a sure thing as it has to face obstacles, possible injury , a lapse in concentration  and of course the sudden discovery of a form of another horse.
The best team I've seen were the Kilkenny hurlers. Were they unbeatable? Close, but they eventually got turned over in their biggest ever game. They're an extreme example, and as good as Dublin are, I don't see them being close to that. That's why you're on the mark with the 50-50 thing. That's a much better shot than most get at the All-Ireland (akin maybe to Kerry between 2004 and 2009), but still not a foregone conclusion.

DennistheMenace

Donegal won because of a system, Dublin have the best players, physicality and pace in abdundance, a hell of a lot of things would need to go wrong for them to be beaten this year in my opinion. I just can't see it happening.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Banter Panther on May 02, 2014, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on May 02, 2014, 08:17:57 AM

The best team I've seen were the Kilkenny hurlers. Were they unbeatable? Close, but they eventually got turned over in their biggest ever game. They're an extreme example, and as good as Dublin are, I don't see them being close to that. That's why you're on the mark with the 50-50 thing. That's a much better shot than most get at the All-Ireland (akin maybe to Kerry between 2004 and 2009), but still not a foregone conclusion.

Kilkenny in hurling was a differnt story. Definitely an odds on team. They'v dipped and other improved which makes it more exciting. No one in football has been that far ahead of the chasing pack.