Don't give up hope yet. Dublin can be beaten.

Started by Banter Panther, April 30, 2014, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Another difference  with Dublin and Donegal is in 2012 like Donegal last year both teams had a very definite all Ireland champions hangover. Dublin hadn't won in 16 years and Donegal 20 years. The mindset of Dublin is different this time round, they have an opportunity to go down as one of the great gaa teams and they know it and seem to have a lets go for it attitude. Great days for us dubs!

larryin89

Bust up in the Dublin camp? McMahon, Connolly, kev mac?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

heffo

Quote from: larryin89 on May 12, 2014, 07:56:07 PM

Yeah all three, Cluxton too & Jim Gavin.

moysider

Dublin have to be hot favourites and should win. But they are not unbeatable even if there are very few teams that could rattle them.
I suppose it strengthens their position that the team that seems to present the greatest threat - Mayo - don t win AIs, even when they can or even when they should. Mayo might not be as good this year as they should be but they can still show up with a decent game if the intent is there. Unfortunately tactical nous is not a strong point. So it's a shoot out and in a shoot Mayo do not have the numbers for the end game. We saw that in the semi in 2012.
If Mickey Harte has/had the personne of old, then yeah you'd expect he would find a way. Cork are mentioned because they have 2 of the best forwards in the country but I thought they ve been burned up around the middle and the backs would not fill me with confidence either. Then there s Kerry and a lot will depend on Declan and Darren and Donaghy being ready again.

The thing about Dublin is that they always look scary when they get a run on a team. That has always been the case going back the years to Keith Barr, Eamonn Heery, Paul Curran etc., yet they didn t win as much as they were expected to win. There were Meath bucks back then to soften a cough I suppose, while Leinster now is a parade for the Dubs.

rrhf

Having seen Dublin in two all Ireland finals which they just about deserved to win. I find the comparisons with Tyrone and kerry of the naughties laughable. Yes they deserve credit for their effort and consistency but they train 3 times a day and are prepared in a level copied from Jimmy me Guinness which is not sustainable long term. Only for the demise of
Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2. There hasn't been a serious challenger to them. Even meath their traditional leinster rivals are a sham.  Nothing to stop them does not make a team comparable to great.  They will be found wanting this year.  Alan brogan in his prime wasn't a feature against Tyrone and kerry yet he walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.

Syferus

rrhf

Johnnybegood

Quote from: rrhf on May 12, 2014, 11:15:21 PM
Having seen Dublin in two all Ireland finals which they just about deserved to win. I find the comparisons with Tyrone and kerry of the naughties laughable. Yes they deserve credit for their effort and consistency but they train 3 times a day and are prepared in a level copied from Jimmy me Guinness which is not sustainable long term. Only for the demise of
Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2. There hasn't been a serious challenger to them. Even meath their traditional leinster rivals are a sham.  Nothing to stop them does not make a team comparable to great.  They will be found wanting this year.  Alan brogan in his prime wasn't a feature against Tyrone and kerry yet he walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.
how long does it actually take for grapes to sour ?

screenexile

Quote from: Johnnybegood on May 12, 2014, 11:38:51 PM
how long does it actually take for grapes to sour ?

Jees its good to see the Tyrone headcases still around the place!!

moysider

Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2.
There hasn't been a serious challenger to them. Even meath their traditional leinster rivals are a sham.  Nothing to stop them does not make a team comparable to great.  They will be found wanting this year.  Alan brogan in his prime wasn't a feature against Tyrone and kerry yet he walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.

No demise in Kerry and Tyrone. Kerry regularly produce teams that can win and Tyrone did pretty ok with a golden-age team. Before that Tyrone came up short even though they had good teams individually brilliant players like McGuigan and McKenna. But no team lasts for ever. Even the Armagh posters are probably realising that now.
Not an average era imo. If it was the Tyrones and Armaghs would have been able to compete better with non-vintage teams, with the structures they have in place. But Dublin have cranked it up a bit more again and it s up to others to respond. As regards performance goes and the summit level gaelic football still has a way to go.

Jell 0 Biafra

Only for the demise of
Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2.
  e walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.

Totally agree. If the two teams who had been the best in the country were still the best in the country, and if some other team had not been able to become the best in the country, then the team that actually is the best in the country wouldn't have done as well as they have done.

larryin89

Quote from: heffo on May 12, 2014, 08:28:40 PM

I take it from your sarcastic response you're denying any physical confrontation took place at training between any of the players I mentioned above?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Thisonegoesto11

I recall Tyrone cynically taking Alan B out of a game early on when he was playing very well. Then he was injured, again early on, in 2008 . Hard to be an influence when you don't play.

Your post is just the repetitive and embarrassing sour grapes . If a Dub came up with such rubbish , about AIs that their rivals won, folk like you would be having a field day.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: larryin89 on May 13, 2014, 05:46:48 AM

I take it from your sarcastic response you're denying any physical confrontation took place at training between any of the players I mentioned above?

But why ask someone on here to deny something you posted?  The onus is on you to back up your source. You must have got it from somewhere or is it a 'I heard' story. If yes, name the source.

heffo

Quote from: larryin89 on May 13, 2014, 05:46:48 AM

Physical confrontations happen at every training session. It's a physical game.

Why don't you provide details of this 'bustup'?