Don't give up hope yet. Dublin can be beaten.

Started by Banter Panther, April 30, 2014, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Sure in Kerry it's not a proper championship at all if fellas are not beating the shite out of one another in training.

easytiger95

Quick word on Alan Brogan - he has three All Star Awards, two of them won in 2006 and 2007, the middle of the decade that Kerry and tyrone dominated. The last was won in 2011, as well as the Footballer of the Year award.

Stephen O'Neill has three All Star Awards and one Player of the Year award. Tyrone would have happily welcomed a player of Alan's quality at any time over the past decade.

Thank you.

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on May 12, 2014, 11:15:21 PM
Having seen Dublin in two all Ireland finals which they just about deserved to win. I find the comparisons with Tyrone and kerry of the naughties laughable. Yes they deserve credit for their effort and consistency but they train 3 times a day and are prepared in a level copied from Jimmy me Guinness which is not sustainable long term. Only for the demise of
Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2. There hasn't been a serious challenger to them. Even meath their traditional leinster rivals are a sham.  Nothing to stop them does not make a team comparable to great.  They will be found wanting this year.  Alan brogan in his prime wasn't a feature against Tyrone and kerry yet he walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.

How dare you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2014, 08:50:42 AM
Sure in Kerry it's not a proper championship at all if fellas are not beating the shite out of one another in training.

In the QFs and SF successes in 2011, Dublin's preparation involved a high level physical contest in their training (the intensity of the A V B team that is now well known).  Nothing to see hear.

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 13, 2014, 09:40:18 AM
Quote from: rrhf on May 12, 2014, 11:15:21 PM
Having seen Dublin in two all Ireland finals which they just about deserved to win. I find the comparisons with Tyrone and kerry of the naughties laughable. Yes they deserve credit for their effort and consistency but they train 3 times a day and are prepared in a level copied from Jimmy me Guinness which is not sustainable long term. Only for the demise of
Tyrone and kerry these guys would not have 2. There hasn't been a serious challenger to them. Even meath their traditional leinster rivals are a sham.  Nothing to stop them does not make a team comparable to great.  They will be found wanting this year.  Alan brogan in his prime wasn't a feature against Tyrone and kerry yet he walks back onto the greatest Dublin team ever.  Average era.

How dare you.

2014 - from sham to champagne.

imtommygunn

The problem with Dublin and this three times a day training, or whatever number, is that when they have boys who get sick of it they will have adequate replacements come in to fill their place. The likes of donegal and other counties don't have that depth. The rest about maximum 18 or 19 quality players whereas Dublin have 30+.

To say they are only winning because they train more is nonsense though.

To me you need 3 scoring forwards to win an AI. Donegal had Murphy McFadden and McBrearty when he was on. Dublin have that in Brogan, Connolly and then pick another from several. Cork could have it with Hurley, Goulding and O'Connor or replacements which is why I think they could challenge.  The rest don't have that or near it.

Tyrone had O'Neill, Mulligan, Canavan and Cavanagh to depend on and Kerry had gooch, donaghy and declan o'sullivan always got a good few. Neither have those resources now.

thewobbler

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 13, 2014, 11:53:46 AM
The problem with Dublin and this three times a day training, or whatever number, is that when they have boys who get sick of it they will have adequate replacements come in to fill their place. The likes of donegal and other counties don't have that depth. The rest about maximum 18 or 19 quality players whereas Dublin have 30+.

To me you need 3 scoring forwards to win an AI. Donegal had Murphy McFadden and McBrearty when he was on. Dublin have that in Brogan, Connolly and then pick another from several. Cork could have it with Hurley, Goulding and O'Connor or replacements which is why I think they could challenge.  The rest don't have that or near it.

Tyrone had O'Neill, Mulligan, Canavan and Cavanagh to depend on and Kerry had gooch, donaghy and declan o'sullivan always got a good few. Neither have those resources now.

Tommy you're buying too much into the hype.

Dublin's game, like Donegal the previous year, is based upon ball-winning full forwards who can operate in isolation, who act as fulcrums to counter-attacks into space. These forwards have to be able to take a score, as a lot of the time it's a case of minimal support coming through.

Dublin might have a dozen useful forwards, but you can't replace Bernard Brogan. You actually can only downgrade from a player of that quality. If he's missing, then Dublin  have a selection headache, because O'Gara - for all his ball-winning and ball-carrying qualities - kicks the ball like a corner back, and isn't going to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Whoever replaces Brogan is not going to run amok in the same fashion, and would most likely need a scoring threat alongside him. So Dublin might need major surgery on their FF line.  Which could weaken their ball-winning ability.

heffo

Dublin haven't trained twice a day since Pat Gilroy in 2012 but don't let facts get in the way.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on May 13, 2014, 10:35:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2014, 08:50:42 AM

In the QFs and SF successes in 2011, Dublin's preparation involved a high level physical contest in their training (the intensity of the A V B team that is now well known).  Nothing to see hear.

Anything to feel though, or more specifically to throw a punch at?  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on May 13, 2014, 12:05:32 PM

Tommy you're buying too much into the hype.

Dublin's game, like Donegal the previous year, is based upon ball-winning full forwards who can operate in isolation, who act as fulcrums to counter-attacks into space. These forwards have to be able to take a score, as a lot of the time it's a case of minimal support coming through.

Dublin might have a dozen useful forwards, but you can't replace Bernard Brogan. You actually can only downgrade from a player of that quality. If he's missing, then Dublin  have a selection headache, because O'Gara - for all his ball-winning and ball-carrying qualities - kicks the ball like a corner back, and isn't going to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Whoever replaces Brogan is not going to run amok in the same fashion, and would most likely need a scoring threat alongside him. So Dublin might need major surgery on their FF line.  Which could weaken their ball-winning ability.

I think that's a bit harsh on O'Gara wobbler. I'd have agreed with you in recent years, but he seems to have worked a lot on his kicking for scores. In the league semi final and final he looked like he could easily chip in with 3 or 4 a game.

Jinxy

Quote from: heffo on May 13, 2014, 12:08:41 PM

Dublin haven't trained twice a day since Pat Gilroy in 2012 but don't let facts get in the way.

Yeah, they're training three times a day.
With heavy balls.
And they all have lead weights sewn into their socks to increase their vertical jump height.

larryin89

Quote from: heffo on May 13, 2014, 08:48:33 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 13, 2014, 05:46:48 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 12, 2014, 08:28:40 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 12, 2014, 07:56:07 PM
Bust up in the Dublin camp? McMahon, Connolly, kev mac?

Yeah all three, Cluxton too & Jim Gavin.

I take it from your sarcastic response you're denying any physical confrontation took place at training between any of the players I mentioned above?

Physical confrontations happen at every training session. It's a physical game.

Why don't you provide details of this 'bustup'?

Either my source is full of it or one of them players will not be on the Dublin panel.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

orangeman

Dublin backroom team are a serious outfit.

The Dublin footballers look set to lose a key member of their backroom team when performance expert Fergus Connolly takes up a job with the San Francisco 49ers this weekend. The 37-year-old from Monaghan, who was one of Jim Gavin's key advisors during Dublin's march to last year's All-Ireland, will head up the sports science programme at the five-time Super Bowl champions beginning this Sunday.
It is unclear how this will affect his role with the Dublin squad but since it is a full-time position demanding him to be based on America's west coast for the next year, his opportunities to interact with the Dubs are likely to be few.
"Fergus has been abroad on business with his other clients, so I've not spoken to him since the NFL final," said Gavin last night. "As far as we are concerned he's still available to fulfil his role as an advisor to the Dublin Football team, so business as normal."
Connolly's new role will be to oversee the physical side of performance at the 49ers, similar to what he did with Liverpool and the Welsh rugby team in the past. He has previously worked with a broad spectrum of teams across the world as a consultant, ranging from Chelsea and Bolton in soccer to Munster in rugby to the Chicago Bulls and various NFL teams including the Cleveland Browns.

Tubberman

Quote from: orangeman on May 30, 2014, 08:49:47 AM
Dublin backroom team are a serious outfit.

The Dublin footballers look set to lose a key member of their backroom team when performance expert Fergus Connolly takes up a job with the San Francisco 49ers this weekend. The 37-year-old from Monaghan, who was one of Jim Gavin's key advisors during Dublin's march to last year's All-Ireland, will head up the sports science programme at the five-time Super Bowl champions beginning this Sunday.
It is unclear how this will affect his role with the Dublin squad but since it is a full-time position demanding him to be based on America's west coast for the next year, his opportunities to interact with the Dubs are likely to be few.
"Fergus has been abroad on business with his other clients, so I've not spoken to him since the NFL final," said Gavin last night. "As far as we are concerned he's still available to fulfil his role as an advisor to the Dublin Football team, so business as normal."
Connolly's new role will be to oversee the physical side of performance at the 49ers, similar to what he did with Liverpool and the Welsh rugby team in the past. He has previously worked with a broad spectrum of teams across the world as a consultant, ranging from Chelsea and Bolton in soccer to Munster in rugby to the Chicago Bulls and various NFL teams including the Cleveland Browns.

How much are they paying this guy? Probably more than the entire Leitrim annual budget.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

We're probably all being paid more than that.