Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Itchy

Quote from: heffo on April 20, 2014, 08:58:54 AM
Some people in Cavan really let themselves down yesterday not least this joker

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/gaa/cavan-boss-maybe-dublin-is-a-team-the-gaa-want-to-win-628329.html

Dubs need their shooting boots on for the next day or the mighty Ros will steamroll us

Peter Reilly is one of Cavans finest servants and is no joker. The GAA is gone money mad and milking the dubs is top of their agenda. Total joke that game was fixed for portlaoise and if u listen to the audio interview you will hear that is what Peter was referring to.

Throw ball

Myles I can understand your frustration but the actions at the end cannot be excused because no one got hurt. You cannot wait for someone to get hurt until doing something. I cannot remember all the decisions you talk about. However, the Cavan black card is a black card if the referee thinks it is deliberate. I would have preferred a yellow. As for the McHugh yellow if the referee cannot be certain it was a deliberate pull down then he gives a yellow. Replays show it was not deliberate. The fault is the rules not the referee. The last free the referee was right in the way he applied the rule too. When the rules were introduced one of the senior referees in Armagh said he did not worry about the black card but the advantage rule in such a case. He was proved right here.

As for the Cavan managers comments I would not worry too much as it was straight after the game. His point on Dublin though is one many many people agree with. Right or Wrong.

heffo

Quote from: Itchy on April 20, 2014, 09:08:19 AM

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/gaa/cavan-boss-maybe-dublin-is-a-team-the-gaa-want-to-win-628329.html

Dubs need their shooting boots on for the next day or the mighty Ros will steamroll us

Peter Reilly is one of Cavans finest servants and is no joker. The GAA is gone money mad and milking the dubs is top of their agenda. Total joke that game was fixed for portlaoise and if u listen to the audio interview you will hear that is what Peter was referring to.

His behaviour and comments after the game were a disgrace. He might be doing fine work in Cavan but would want to cop himself on

Shrewdness

I felt sorry for Cavan yesterday. I only stayed for the first half of that game, but had been a bit surprised at how mediocre Dublin had looked in the first half, considering all the hype we hear about them. Cavan looked like a team that were carrying out a gameplan to perfection. Victory would have meant more to Cavan people, proof of which was the size of the Cavan support compared to that for the Dubs....As for the final, there's no doubt that Ros will need to tighten up in defence, but it should be mentioned that they were up against some very highly rated Cork forwards.. On the flip side of the coin is the question of how Dublin's defence will fare when they face Roscommon's forwards, the best forwards they will have met so far this year. This final has the makings of a high scoring shootout. Are there any Dublin minors from last year on this U-21 team? The Ros team that started against Cork had four minors from last year, Diarmuid Murtagh, Sean Mullooly, Ronan Daly and Ultan Harney who does his Leaving Cert in a few weeks.

Itchy

Quote from: heffo on April 20, 2014, 09:15:26 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 20, 2014, 09:08:19 AM

His behaviour and comments after the game were a disgrace. He might be doing fine work in Cavan but would want to cop himself on

I'll tell the next time I meet him. I'm sure he's awful concerned what the boys in Dublin think about him. Hard to take all the money and advantage Dublin get and then they get the venue and the calls from the ref too.

tommysmith

After seen it on tv I don't think it was even a free at end.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Throw ball on April 20, 2014, 09:12:01 AM
Myles I can understand your frustration but the actions at the end cannot be excused because no one got hurt. You cannot wait for someone to get hurt until doing something. I cannot remember all the decisions you talk about. However, the Cavan black card is a black card if the referee thinks it is deliberate. I would have preferred a yellow. As for the McHugh yellow if the referee cannot be certain it was a deliberate pull down then he gives a yellow. Replays show it was not deliberate. The fault is the rules not the referee. The last free the referee was right in the way he applied the rule too. When the rules were introduced one of the senior referees in Armagh said he did not worry about the black card but the advantage rule in such a case. He was proved right here.

As for the Cavan managers comments I would not worry too much as it was straight after the game. His point on Dublin though is one many many people agree with. Right or Wrong.

I'm not saying I excuse the actions. I am just saying it was not that serious of an issue, there was no physical threat to the ref as far as I could see. Its not like the Louth Meath incident a few years ago, not near the same level. Some of the reporting and comments are sensationalist and are blowing it out of proportion.

The last 2 frees, neither were frees to start with. Second I agree the rule of advantage was applied correctly in both cases (if we say they were frees). However, it was not applied correctly for Cavan earlier - that is my point. The ref does not get away with it because the rules are too vague, if he has a brain in his head he knows what to do. Why could he not add onto the 2mins of injury time?? The guy was too inexperienced and incompetent for this game and in a tight match you can see he makes the difference between the two teams. The guy in the first game was also atrocious. Seems U21 is seen as some sort of training ground for referees, well the fans want fair play not the ridiculous spectacle of yesterday.

The Hill is Blue

Pitiful comments from an county manager - disgraceful.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

mylestheslasher

The hill is blue - more like the hill is full of pissed scumbags. Ye have some neck criticizing Cavan fans and management. The last time I was at a Dub game in Croke park they were throwing bottles towards the pitch from the wonderous hill.

tommysmith

Fair play to Peter Reilly for coming out and saying in public what he said about time someone said it.

Can those that disagree state what they disagree with?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 20, 2014, 08:28:10 AM
Devastated for our lads yesterday. They played the right tactics no matter what Indiana says, the Dubs had pace and quality all over the pitch and I have no doubt if it became a shoot out Dublin would have won with ease. Unfortunately a number of key things went against us. Conor Moynagh was the best player on the pitch for 15 mins before he got injured, that was a brutal blow to us. Then the key calls the referee made went against us (please save me the bullshit that he had a good game)

1 - Dillon gets fouled 30m straight in front of the posts, ref is behind the play and puts his hand in the air. There is no advantage as Cavan have no one inside but they play on as they dont know the ref has his hand in the air. 5s later, Cavan have gone nowhere and the clown puts his hand down. There was no bloody advantage, its a free in and a gimme point to Cavan. Cavan kick a wide under pressure.

2- Black card to Dillon. While he did pull the guy down I don't think this was why the rule was brought in as it was hardly cynical, the ball was loose and both men were running towards it. Dillon jumped over the defender and pulled him down. By the letter of the law, yes a black card, but if you  exercise a bit of cop on then its not. A ref with cop on seems to be banned.

3 - No Black card to McHugh. This is the foul the rule was brought in for. Player beats his man and runs with intent toward the Dublin half and is pulled down. If the ref decides its a foul to Cavan then it is a black card. If he decides Moynagh pulled the Dublin player down then it is a free to Dublin and a black card to Moynagh. Because he hasn;t the balls to make a call he decides free to Cavan and yellow card. McHugh scores the equaliser and gets man of the match.

4 - Advantage rule to Dublin for McHughs equaliser. There was no foul and he gets his advantage and then misses, the ref gives him the tap over free. Compare to No 1 above. No consistency.

5 - Winning free. Harsh free but surely given the Dublin player emerged with the ball he should have put his hand up and played advantage, allowing the Dublin player to play on like he did for No 1 above. Nope, he correctly decided a free in was a scorable chance and there could be no advantage. No consistency.

6- 2 mins of injury time called during which there are 30-40s of injury time. This bright hope of a referee cannot add on this time.

I don't mind being beaten by the better team, and Dublin were, but I am seriously pissed off where a referee has such a bearing on a game in which only a last minute free separated the teams. The GAA powers that be that selected this referee should also be ashamed. This was an All Ireland Semi final and a quick look at the refs pen picture in the program will tell you this referee was too junior. Last referred an U21 match 13 months ago, the 1/4 final in Munster! This year refereed a Few McGrath cup games, a railway cup semi and a few national league games (no doubt in lower divisions). Does that sound like a fella ready for an AI semi final. The guy in the 1st game was also abysmal.

As for the cavan fans. Yes it was not pretty at the end of the match but for f**k sake we were all pissed off with him and tempers were frayed. He had a bearing on the result he should not have had. No one was injured in the incident so lets not blow it out of proportion. I've no doubt he will be fast tracked now to referee bigger games and be just as woeful as your Marty Duffy's and Maurice Deegans.

Roscommon played a great game, have some really nice footballers but seem to have a weak defense. It was an exciting game against Cork. I think though Dublin will be a much tougher test for them if they continue to be as open defensively. Such make for a good spectacle anyway and good luck to both teams.

With all due respect Myles your "forensic" analysis of the referee's performance yesterday is something we get here after every close game. It's so easy (and also so misleading) to focus on the perceived "bad calls" against one team while ignoring the "bad calls" against the other team. Every game is made up of many refereeing calls which over the whole game will balance out.

Bottom line is that the better team almost invariably wins.

Management is doing no favours to the young lads of Cavan by making them feel that they were robbed. Failure of tactics as well as the quality of the opposition should be acknowledged. Blaming the referee is a cop out.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 20, 2014, 10:16:51 AM
The hill is blue - more like the hill is full of pissed scumbags. Ye have some neck criticizing Cavan fans and management. The last time I was at a Dub game in Croke park they were throwing bottles towards the pitch from the wonderous hill.

With that comment your credibility to argue anything is zero.

You got beaten yesterday in a game you could have won but didn't have the balls to go and try and win. Your manager, your mentors and your supporters disgraced yourselves after the match with 'sc**bag' behaviour. Now take your beating and back off to the backwaters with you!

theticklemister

I found myself going for the Dubs due to the savage and vile hatred shown to the Dublin free-takers

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 20, 2014, 07:54:11 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2014, 12:51:08 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 20, 2014, 12:42:34 AM
I have a lot time for ros folk on here but I cydtnt ignore the shite that went on today good luck in the. Final ladds hope tee do it, I'm on a stag and I'm saying g that on a stag , pls beat the dibs

Post of the decade, Sligonian!

We'll do our best to do a Galway and not a Mayo.
Do a Ros...it'll feel better if ye manage it.

Arrah Farr you know well it's only met for lads who are are as wound up as Bod Mor, ye boys know how to win these sorts sorts of finals..

Zulu

Quote from: tommysmith on April 20, 2014, 10:36:17 AM
Fair play to Peter Reilly for coming out and saying in public what he said about time someone said it.

Can those that disagree state what they disagree with?

McHugh didn't deserve a black card for a start, the Cavan player should have got a black as he pulled down McHugh. I thought the Dublin free to win it was soft but I wouldn't agree that it wasn't a free, the Cavan player definitely pulled Ivory's arm. While I can well understand the frustration of supporters  I don't think Cavan are coming out well here.