Best footballer ever from your county.

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2014, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Bets footballer from my county and Ill include Derry, Armagh and most others was Peter the Great Canavan. 

trileacman

Surprised Nudie rules the roost over Eamon Mc Aneneny in Monaghan, thought he'd at least get a mention.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ross4life

Threads like this our most famous son Dermot Earley will nearly always get our only mention, fair fcuks to Lar,Rosfan for giving O'Malley a mention but its a shame the likes of Aidan Brady,Harry Keegan,Pat Lindsay,Danny Murray,Gerry Connellan,Eamonn Boland,Jimmy Murray,Tony McManus,Bill Carlos,Phelim Murray etc get ignored even though all were outstanding footballers.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on February 23, 2014, 07:02:04 PM
Threads like this our most famous son Dermot Earley will nearly always get our only mention, fair fcuks to Lar,Rosfan for giving O'Malley a mention but its a shame the likes of Aidan Brady,Harry Keegan,Pat Lindsay,Danny Murray,Gerry Connellan,Eamonn Boland,Jimmy Murray,Tony McManus,Bill Carlos,Phelim Murray etc get ignored even though all were outstanding footballers.

Keegan was mentioned only days ago in a similar thread and O'Malley is hardly an obscure figure in GAA lore, Ross.

See no mention of Francie in the above either..

timmyot501

Nudie with 3 all stars over ten years from 79 to 88, one as a corner back and 2 as corner forward is going to get the farney nod every time. The 80s team had some other great players like mceneney mccarville David Byrne the Murrays ray mccarron and big Eamonn murphy. But I think nudie will always get the nod as the best of that era

Schkite

Quote from: trileacman on February 23, 2014, 05:25:00 PM
Surprised Nudie rules the roost over Eamon Mc Aneneny in Monaghan, thought he'd at least get a mention.

This topic may cause some debate in other counties, but Nudie will always be a clear winner when it comes to discussing Monaghans greatest player.

Had a good laugh at the post saying Kieran Hughes was the best Monaghan player they'd seen. Is last year's Ulster final the only Monaghan game they've seen? Even at that I thought Dessie was better.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

Keegan was mentioned only days ago in a similar thread and O'Malley is hardly an obscure figure in GAA lore, Ross.

Never said he was & not the point i was making. Francie as in Grehan? he would make it onto our best team of the last 20 years however i doubt he would be in the bracket as those named above.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on February 23, 2014, 09:00:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

Never said he was & not the point i was making. Francie as in Grehan? he would make it onto our best team of the last 20 years however i doubt he would be in the bracket as those named above.

Francie was very versatile. If you were making a real team he'd easily make the first 15 because he could be a quality player in six or eight positions and you'd need to be switching players if something is going wrong.

Wildweasel74

Always thought Derek Dougan was a very good roscommon player, or was the long range point against mayo in the 91 final the reason i remember so much when thinking of roscommon players, still have that game on tape, might point

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 23, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
Always thought Derek Dougan was a very good roscommon player, or was the long range point against mayo in the 91 final the reason i remember so much when thinking of roscommon players, still have that game on tape, might point

Derek suffered a lot of injuries after '91, never got to showcase his talents properly. Was still lining out for Castlerea up until around ten years ago.

Ohtoohtobe

Surely Kevin O'Brien or Leighton Glynn for Wicklow, in my tiem anyway.

JD a fair call for Kildare though couldn't argue if someone went with Glenn Ryan. Nuckser probably more talented than both.

trileacman

Quote from: Schkite on February 23, 2014, 08:27:59 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 23, 2014, 05:25:00 PM

This topic may cause some debate in other counties, but Nudie will always be a clear winner when it comes to discussing Monaghans greatest player.

Had a good laugh at the post saying Kieran Hughes was the best Monaghan player they'd seen. Is last year's Ulster final the only Monaghan game they've seen? Even at that I thought Dessie was better.

Yeah even with the excuse of "in my time" anyone over the ages of 15 would have to give the nod to Tommy Freeman who achieved alot.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 23, 2014, 11:59:34 PM
JD a fair call for Kildare though couldn't argue if someone went with Glenn Ryan. Nuckser probably more talented than both.

I think Glenn and Johnny were the only two of our most talented players of the last 30 years or so who reached their true potential in a Kildare jersey.

Nuxer was injured after the Leinster Final in 98 and was then lost to emigration when he should have been at his peak. He was the most naturally talented Kildare footballer I have seen apart from Martin Lynch who was almost unplayable as a midfielder when he was in the right mood. He won an All Star at midfield as a 20 year old. I don't think he ever scaled those heights again afterwards because we had to make a forward out of him where he was never as influential. 

Cork saw Larry's best years rather than Kildare. He never got a chance to shine on a poor Kildare team in the eighties but could have made a big difference on the team during Micko's first stint in the early nineties. Fahy likewise.

Dermot Earley probably only had two injury free years in his entire career and won an All Star in both of those years.

As consistently excellent as Johnny has been for 14 years I would have to go with Glenn as the best Kildare footballer I have seen. I think Glenn was one of the best players in his position of his generation but I'm not sure I could say the same about Johnny. Micko said that Glenn's display against Laois in 97 was the greatest performance from a centre half back that he had ever seen in Croke Park. That's good enough for me.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Billys Boots

QuoteLongford - Paul Barden

Or Dessie Barry?  Or Sean Donnelly?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Club Rossa

You can make a very strong case for both McGuigan and Canavan.Peter contributed more to Tyrone's cause over the years.Frank spent a good few years in the States but for sheer footballing ability I would say Frank.
I met Micheal O'Muireheartaigh a few years ago and asked him if there was one place left in the full forward line who would he pick at no.15,Frank or Peter.He replied"Thats an easy one to answer.It would be Peter as Frank would be wearing 14"
He covered himself well with that answer lol.