Whatever became of.....

Started by Gaffer, February 19, 2014, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Just thinking an idea for a new thread.

Ever think of someone who had been in the news/ spotlight and then disappeared of the radar. You remember them about 2 years later and wonder what ever became of them and what they are doing now.   

Someone mentioned Bernard McHugh (ITV Blind Date) recently and it just got me wondering. Whatever became of him?

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Asal Mor

Your man with the big afro who played for Everton.

nrico2006

I suppose you get that question into your head every so often when you see an old film or something too.  Was watching a recent enough film the other night and Bill Pullman was in it, until I watched it I was wondering what he had been up to as he was pretty big around the mid to late nineties and then just went off the radar.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 19, 2014, 08:16:18 AM
I suppose you get that question into your head every so often when you see an old film or something too.  Was watching a recent enough film the other night and Bill Pullman was in it, until I watched it I was wondering what he had been up to as he was pretty big around the mid to late nineties and then just went off the radar.
Could say the same for Josh Hartnett who turned up on The Late Late Show a while back.

seafoid

Showbiz careers tend to be quite short. Harry Enfield was top dog for a while but he's back in the peleton now.

deiseach

I always wonder what actors do when they are, uh, resting between jobs. I'm watching Babylon 5 having regretfully missed it the first time around all those years ago and there isn't an episode where you don't think "whatever happened to...?". Some chap called Jim Norton played three different roles. I'd love to know what he got up to when B5 stopped providing him with regular work.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 19, 2014, 08:33:12 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 19, 2014, 08:16:18 AM
Could say the same for Josh Hartnett who turned up on The Late Late Show a while back.

Aye, hes in Dublin at the minute filming apparently.  Think he has been in some big enough shows up until recently enough, but nothing compared to what he was doing ten years ago. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I tell you what is interesting/sad. A where are they now of old soccer players. Especially those guys from the days of early professionalism, but not yet big money. All they had was football, they were heroes to thousands, probably including a good few of us, and now a lot of them are either living or dying in near poverty.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2014, 09:34:54 AM
I tell you what is interesting/sad. A where are they now of old soccer players. Especially those guys from the days of early professionalism, but not yet big money. All they had was football, they were heroes to thousands, probably including a good few of us, and now a lot of them are either living or dying in near poverty.

The testimonial was their big pension pay day.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of the Div1 one players back in the 70's and 80's would have bought pubs, invested in something or other and at least a third were declared bankrupt at some stage.

a far cry from the wages being pulled in by some very average footballers plying their trade in the EPL.

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/29/jorge-cadete-portugal-celtic-state-benefits

Tony will be along shortly to say Celtic are different....

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on February 19, 2014, 09:39:10 AM

The testimonial was their big pension pay day.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of the Div1 one players back in the 70's and 80's would have bought pubs, invested in something or other and at least a third were declared bankrupt at some stage.

a far cry from the wages being pulled in by some very average footballers plying their trade in the EPL.

Even the testimonial was granted to a select bunch. Long serving, big names. I know there were a lot of 'shared' testimonials and some guys didn't even get that.

BennyHarp

The Kenny Sansom story is quite sad too, many might say it's his own fault but there plainly was no support in place to stop his life going out of control. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23821613
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Ray Kennedy's story was very sad as well. I know he got a bit of a dig out, but I think that was because his Parkinson's story became big news. The fact he had to sell everything was very sad.

deiseach

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 19, 2014, 09:47:28 AM
The Kenny Sansom story is quite sad too, many might say it's his own fault but there plainly was no support in place to stop his life going out of control. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23821613

I remember talking to an old school Scouser and for some reason Kenny Sansom came up. "Kenny hasn't backed a winner since the old king died", he snorted. Everyone knew of Kenny's problems yet no one lifted a finger to help him. Sad is right.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...