Doire v Tir Eoghain, Celtic Park, Sat 1st Feb & on Setanta Sports 1

Started by Fuzzman, January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Very enjoyable game despite the poor conditions and whilst both teams will feel they could have won it but a draw was probably a fair outcome. Colm won some good ball around the middle after coming on and provided leadership, but once again he didn't always use it as well as he might. Suppose he hasn't had much football so far this year. Morgan and McCurry exellent. If these boys continue to develop and we can get the likes of Gormley, Joe and big Sean etc back to fitness over the next couple of months then we will be looking ok for the summer.

screenexile

A draw probably fair on reflection although we dominated the last 20 mins and probably should have won ...

Anyway I'm a bit disappointed as that was effectively a Tyrone reserve team but a point is better than none. Sean Leo was superb!

ziggysego

Great game of football, especially considering the weather conditions and the time of the year. Would have been a difficult game to lose, but was a fair enough result at the end of the day.
Testing Accessibility

BennyHarp

Decent game but I'm struggling work out the advantage rule. It was applied twice for Derry but on two occasions Colm Cavanagh was fouled with men bursting through with clear a advantage to be had but the play was called back. Also, if during the period of advantage the attacking team has a clear shot on target but misses, should this be called back? Surely having a clear shot mean you took advantage of letting the play go? Especially if it's a goal chance.
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2014, 08:47:13 PM
A draw probably fair on reflection although we dominated the last 20 mins and probably should have won ...

Anyway I'm a bit disappointed as that was effectively a Tyrone reserve team but a point is better than none. Sean Leo was superb!

Tyrone were not full strength but that's far from a reserve team. I was impressed with derry. With 20mins on the clock could see nothing but an away win!
Conor Clarkes toughest 70 in a Tyrone Jersey
Tierney did well, certainly best of the debutants
Pj lavery, Shea McGuigan, McNiece all struggled
McCurry was excellent. Didn't get enough ball tho, but some operator
Grugan did well but played outta position. Will do well at 10 or 12
Niallmckenna struggled after shipping a big hit too.

Plenty for tyrone to work on.

sam03/05

Think Mattie Donnelly is wasted in Full Forward. He is not really a full forward and will be easily marked by a good full back. Much more effective out the field (His brother is a better option at FF)
Thought McNeice was poor, but Ronan O'Neill and McCurry were excellent.
We struggled to win breaking ball at times, and need to find some tight marking corner backs.

The big question is this?
Has Mickey Harte changed his tactics?
7 points ahead with 15 minutes to go, most times we would see one or two sweepers
Drop back to fill up that space, but it didnt happen.
Full back line was left wide open.

tyroneman

Quote from: God14 on February 01, 2014, 09:46:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2014, 08:47:13 PM

Tyrone were not full strength but that's far from a reserve team. I was impressed with derry. With 20mins on the clock could see nothing but an away win!
Conor Clarkes toughest 70 in a Tyrone Jersey
Tierney did well, certainly best of the debutants
Pj lavery, Shea McGuigan, McNiece all struggled
McCurry was excellent. Didn't get enough ball tho, but some operator
Grugan did well but played outta position. Will do well at 10 or 12
Niallmckenna struggled after shipping a big hit too.

Plenty for tyrone to work on.

Any time you are 7 points up you should be fit to close out a game. End of.

Thought Shea did well to be honest. Put some lovely ball in. Plenty others deserved the curly finger before him.

Too many forwards wanted to shoot from inside the 20. Have a go from distance ffs rather than run up blind alleys, which was all we seemed to do for the last 20.

Too many kick outs won by a Derry man without a Tyrone player within 10 yards. Colm and Grugan bullied all second half.

Very disappointing to come away with a draw given the position we were in.

McQuillan awful as usual.

SuperHo

ah lads. dire stuff. derry are a bad team other than the good ball in to the forwards.tyrone 7 pts in front n threw it away. read report derry won 7 kick outs in a row.  how many times did morgan kick the ball straight to an unmarked derry man. how often did the ball come straight back out the field in the last 15. would use excuse of lack of experience but derry are in the same boat. thank god skinner picked filthy lucre.

Fuzzman

I'll second all of that Tyroneman. At seven up I genuinely thought we would win handy enough against the bulky Derry men. So many of them look more like body builders that footballers. Was very disappointed with lavery and thought Mattie had a quiet game though he was often double marked. Thought McCurry was very sharp and loved Grugan's sliced point though he should have had the winner near the end. I've probably not saw enough of him but have yet to see what Mickey sees in McNeice.
Still I'd taken a draw at the start and in such bad conditions a point is a great achievement with your reserve team

Club Rossa

Very happy with a point,I honestly thought Derry would have won comfortably against that Tyrone team but credit to our boys they stepped up to the mark tonight against a strong Derry team.
Draw was a fair result and both teams deserve huge credit on a difficult night to play football.Tierney played rightly,Grugan is a real threat going forward and McCurry when he gets good ball put in will give any defence trouble.Would have liked to have seen McAliskey on earlier.Shay and PJ will be the better for that tonight,it's all well and good starring in McKenna cup football but league football is a different ball game.It will take them a wee bit of time to find their feet.
McKaigue is a class footballer,marked Matty very well and SL McGoldrick was very good again tonight as he was in Omagh a few weeks ago.

on the sideline

Cheers for the directions skeog, great to miss out the city.

Enjoyed that, exciting last 10 or 15 and decent game given conditions. What a save by Morgan. Would love to see it again but my initial reaction was that it was one I beat saves I've ever seen in Gaelic football

ONeill

McCurry can score but he needs to cut out the Hollywood pass. Almost cost the game twice late on.

Tierney was the most impressive of the defenders, as he was v Armagh. After a ropey start McGinley played ok.

McNabb never got going for some reason and apart from a couple of possessions McKenna was AWOL. I'd still persist with both.

Thought Cavanagh, O'Neill and McAliskey were used at the right time.

Derry missed a few frees that should have seen 2 league pts in their favour.

What did ye think of McBride's black? I thought he stupidly bought it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Club Rossa

I think the black was deserved O'Neill,he had no need to run into Kielt but would like to see it again.What about Kielt's challenge on McKenna,accidental or deliberately high?I hadn't the best view of it.

ONeill

I thought Kielt was honest.

McBrides - ok, even if it was his fault, for me it showed how some will take advantage - purposely run towards an opponent and hit the deck.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Did ye see Patsy Bradley trying to shoulder/push Grugan into the crowd. Without Colm Cav we would have lost I think. Thought the black card was very harsh.