Doire v Tir Eoghain, Celtic Park, Sat 1st Feb & on Setanta Sports 1

Started by Fuzzman, January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Derry will be sporting their new strip for this exciting first round encounter. Playing under Tyrone man McIvor no doubt Derry will be looking forward to the visit of their near neighbours Tyrone who haven't beaten Derry at Celtic park for ? number of years?
With most of their big guns back playing and no Bradleys to distract them as Skinner is still playing ground ball then Derry will be hoping to use the league as a good springboard this year and could surprise a few people, including having a special welcome for the Dubs on Paddy's weekend, 16th.

Tyrone have got off to their usual flying start of the year, unbeaten so far in the McKenna cup with all the Uni boys controversially on board to add to our already popularity in Ulster.
Most of us have forgotten the post match blues and feeling on inevitability after last years defeat to Mayo. The new year brings new hope with all the fresh faces and excitement of a new dawn with only a few all Ireland winners left in the squad.
It will be interesting to see what team Mickey lines out, especially with so little of the older heads playing so far this year. You would expect both Cavanaghs, Mark Donnelly, Conor Gormley and Mattie Donnelly being the main team leaders now although if big Joe is fit to play he too will prove a big help.
History would point to a Derry win but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Tyrone to show their new attacking force and to win in a very open game for a change.

clarshack

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM
Tyrone who haven't beaten Derry at Celtic park for ? number of years?

pretty sure tyrone (seniors) have never won in celtic park. think the minors won there in 1992.

Estimator

Quote from: clarshack on January 22, 2014, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM
Tyrone who haven't beaten Derry at Celtic park for ? number of years?

pretty sure tyrone (seniors) have never won in celtic park. think the minors won there in 1992.

I hate stats like that.  How many games would that extend to? 5/6? 
The last championship encounter played at the venue between the to sides was probably in 1992.
Ulster League Champions 2009

drici

AnAlligatorWouldn'tSwallowThis

Kelly defends GAA pay-per-view deal

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

By Jim O'Sullivan

THE GAA did not appreciate that a significant number of supporters would be precluded from watching live NFL games when it signed an agreement with Setanta Sports, President Sean Kelly said yesterday.

However, he stressed the channel had only been given "minimal" rights to six games. He argued having Setanta involved in the last "auction" of rights strengthened the GAA's hand in negotiating with RTÉ.

Kerry fans were upset when they learned last week that they would not be able to see Saturday night's floodlit game with Mayo unless they were subscribers to Setanta.

"People were annoyed because they were used to TG4 coverage," said Mr Kelly.

Interestingly, however, it's believed to have swelled the attendance in Tralee and the same factor is likely to come into play for Saturday's floodlit game between Cork and Kerry in Páirc Uí Rinn, which will also be shown on Setanta.

Mr Kelly accepted it would not be in the GAA's interests if young people were being drawn into pubs to watch live games.

Mr Kelly said there had been "no real competition" to RTÉ until Setanta entered the market.

"Setanta were able to bid for all the rights the last time. It meant we were in a position to bargain with RTÉ and do as good a deal as we did. We owed it to Setanta to give them something."

EC Unique

Garvaghy training complex will be open from 9 until 12 the day of the match for any travelling Tyrone supporters wanting immunisation injections.

rrhf

J OGorman

Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2014, 11:57:33 PM
Garvaghy training complex will be open from 9 until 12 the day of the match for any travelling Tyrone supporters wanting immunisation injections.

as usual, dont forget to bring your paypackets

tbrick18

Plenty of travellers in tyrone alright (I think it's something to do with the widespread practice of inbreeding in Tyrone making them feel more accepted).
Very kind of Club Tyrone to fund immunisations for them.

sheamy

Be careful taking those things at such high altitude.

orangeman

Has anybody here got Setanta sports channel ?

Is it worth getting ?

Redhand Santa

Any predictions for the Tyrone team for this one? Based on the McKenna Cup I'd like to see something like this:
Morgan
McKenna
Clarke
Tierney
McGinley
Harte
McNabb
Grugan
McBride
PJ Lavery
McGuigan
S Cavanagh
McCurry
Donnelly
McAliskey

Exciting enough team which rewards boys who did well in McKenna Cup. Ronan O'Neill would be unlucky not to start but great option to come off the bench. Sean Cavanagh is the one player who if fit I'd throw straight back in due to the difference he'd make. Would be interesting to see how midfield would do and McGuigan and PJ Lavery would be exciting additions to the half forward line. Still not sure about the full back line.

God14

The bookies have this one relatively even matched
Derry 5/4
Tyrone 4/5
Draw 15/2

Normally I wouldn't touch this game for a bet, but the 4/5 for Tyrone is very tempting - even at Celtic Park. Celtic Park has been a graveyard for us down the years but especially if the Cavanagh's are available as is rumoured, I reckon its a good bet

I thought Derry showed a lot more of their hand in the McKenna game the last day. Fergal Doherty & Niall Holly ought to win the midfield battle once more in terms of primary possession, but I cant see us getting cleaned out on breaking ball to the same extent.
Niall Morgan is normally worth a few points plus his accuracy from kickouts can at least temper the influence of big Fergal.

sensethetone

having tyrone up first in the league suits derry, they'll have been focused on this fixture for a while had their homework done on possible tyrone tatics and personell. last year they got caught by galway in the first round they'll not want to start the league with  a defeat, tyrone will really have to be a step ahead to win in celtic park.

Under Lights

Sean Cavanagh won't play any part. Hasn't returned to training with the county yet.