Who will be U-21 Champions in 2007?

Cork
27 (75%)
Laois
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 08, 2007, 10:59:36 PM

Fishead_Sam

Anyone been following any of the above teams, and how do you rate their chances?

darbyo

I'd very surprised if Cork don't win this year, they have an extremely strong team, quality backs, a good, big strong mid-field and plenty of physically big scoring forwards. 

armaghniac

Lone Shark's view on Ladbrokes

Mayo     7/4
Cork    2/1
Armagh    3/1
Laois    5/1
Monaghan 14/1
Offaly    16/1

what are the AI semi-final lineups for this?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fishead_Sam

Connacht V Leinster
Ulster V Munster
I think.

Thats why I think Mayo have such a great chance, avoid the other big two of Armagh & Cork

Ryano

Mayo. They were awesome in their destruction of Roscommon on Saturday. The speed with which they moved the ball was electric to watch. Superb support play from the HB line and midfielders who drove forward at every single chance with speed. A big physically strong team with buckets of skill and ability. JOM must be drooling at the thought of Pierce Hanly on the Senior team next year. He will be bigger then Jesus sorry, no- that other tanned long haired lad who walks on water....... McDonald ;)

Tubberman

QuoteThats why I think Mayo have such a great chance, avoid the other big two of Armagh & Cork

Well, they'll still have to beat one of them if they're to win!
I think Mayo will be very hard to beat, high praise like that from Ryano doesn't come cheaply from a Rossie! ;)
Pearse Hanley has unbelievable talent, and wouldn't look out of place in the senior team this year, but JOM is right to leave it til next year, he's only out of minors after all. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

FarneyMan

Fixtures from the website........
21st April 2007
Connacht v Munster
Leinster v Ulster

sam03/05

westmayo

I presume the AI semi-final's will be moved if Mayo make the NFL Division One final and Monaghan make it through Ulster and to the NFL Division Two final, as it's penciled in for the day after that.

full back

Armagh have a few injury worries ahead of the Ulster final on Saturday which could have a major bearing on the game.
Lavery would be a huge loss

Onlooker

I think that Cork have been the bookie's favourites for some time.  They are obviously a very strong team with so many of the team that played in the All Ireland Final last year.  Unusually for a Cork team, the forwards, who are very good, are the strongest part of the team. I would not agree with Darbyo that they have quality backs.  After all, Tipperary scored 3-12 in the Munster Final.  Tipp have some very good forwards on that Under 21 team, but they were also a very young team and the weaknesses shown in the Cork defence could cost them the All Ireland..

haze

I was at the Laois Westmeath Leinster semi final and i will be surprised if this Laois team can win the All Ireland. Without Brendan Quigley, it will be a massive achievement to get over a very strong Offaly side in the Leinster final. Laois are just too small in my opinion, Cork would be my tip.

cavanmaniac

If Monaghan come out of Ulster they'll be hard enough to stop I reckon.

They have one hell of a big side for this age group, biggest U21 side I've ever seen. They have a couple of smaller nippy fast lads that came off the bench against us and they blended well to beat us out the gate in 15 mins after half time.

The size might not count for as much on drier sod and better conditions but if they get out of Ulster I wouldn't discount them either, despite not having seen Mayo or any of the other contenders.

Redgreenery

I reckon there'll be no stopping Mayo this year. They absolutely rattled Roscommon in the Connaught Final and some of the players on the team such as P Hanley, B Moran were very impressive.

TacadoirArdMhacha

It pretty much impossible to give a real assessment of whose likely to wint he All Ireland since so few have seen all the contenders in action. All I would say is that, since we were discussing size, the Armagh lads certainly won't fall down on this score. They were noticeable bigger and stronger than their Derry counterparts last week. Hopefully this will stand them in good stead.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead