Cardinal O'Fiaich Cup

Started by BennyCake, November 20, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

What's this all aboot then? I've never heard of it before. I assume it was played before, because it mentioned in the Irish News of its 'reprisal'. When was it last, or first, played?

Armagh, Down, Derry and Louth? Why those teams?

Throw ball

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2013, 06:13:24 PM
What's this all aboot then? I've never heard of it before. I assume it was played before, because it mentioned in the Irish News of its 'reprisal'. When was it last, or first, played?

I am not sure when it was played before but it was for teams in the archdiocese of Armagh. I assume Tyrone opted out or were not asked.

brokencrossbar1

It was played for a good few years and is played by the counties within the Diocese. Tyrone have normally played in it so I am not sure, I actually think Peter Canavan made his competitive senior debut against Armagh playing in this tournament and gave Ger Reid the mother and father of all roastings!   

Feckitt

Down must be in instead of Tyrone, even though no part of county Down is in Armagh Archdiocese.

This tournament is best remembered for a match between Armagh and someone else (Louth?) going to penalties after extra time because nobody wanted a replay.

rrhf

Did Tyrone not bate Armagh in it one time it ended in a fight and big Harry mc Clure bate the grimley s black and blue.

Gaffer

Quote from: Feckitt on November 20, 2013, 07:56:26 PM
Down must be in instead of Tyrone, even though no part of county Down is in Armagh Archdiocese.

This tournament is best remembered for a match between Armagh and someone else (Louth?) going to penalties after extra time because nobody wanted a replay.

I recall Tyrone being involved in a penalty shoot out in a match in Crossmaglen.

That would have been in the 97/98 period.

I wonder was that in the O Fiach Cuo?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Gaffer

Quote from: rrhf on November 20, 2013, 11:16:56 PM
Did Tyrone not bate Armagh in it one time it ended in a fight and big Harry mc Clure bate the grimley s black and blue.

Paul was bate black and Mark was bate blue!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

under the bar

Harry was one hard, hard man.  One Grimley brother in those days was a tough enough never mind taking them both on and coming out the better side.

Club Rossa

Armagh beat Tyrone in a penalty shootout in Crossmaglen,was either late 97 or early 98.

BennyCake

Quote from: under the bar on November 21, 2013, 12:38:57 PM
Harry was one hard, hard man.  One Grimley brother in those days was a tough enough never mind taking them both on and coming out the better side.

The Grimleys were big girls blouses. There was one Armagh league fixture they rarely togged out for. This was well known at the time, and have heard quite a few people remark on it.

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on November 21, 2013, 01:08:02 PM
Quote from: under the bar on November 21, 2013, 12:38:57 PM

The Grimleys were big girls blouses. There was one Armagh league fixture they rarely togged out for. This was well known at the time, and have heard quite a few people remark on it.

Was it 50 years ago today?
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: Throw ball on November 20, 2013, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

I am not sure when it was played before but it was for teams in the archdiocese of Armagh. I assume Tyrone opted out or were not asked.
Tyrone aren't allowed so that the others can have a chance.

T Fearon

First played in 1985 (my late brother featured in the first Armagh team to play in it,against Louth if memory serves me right).The late Cardinal initiated the competition (all games held in Crossmaglen and he attended them all) and put up a trophy for the tournament involving the four counties in his Diocese.At the time football was at a low ebb in Crossmaglen (teams like Keady were winning Armagh Senior titles in the mid 80s) and I think the late Cardinal saw the tournament as a way of reviving football in the Crossmaglen area, and the way things panned out,he was right.

The tournament died the death as Crossmaglen's fortunes soared and with County Finals and NFL games being played at Crossmaglen.It's revival would commemorate the memory of a great Gael

Farneylawd2011

I think the tournament is confirmed for the 15th December ? Does anybody know if this is correct and can anyone confirm the teams taking part ?

Throw ball

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on November 23, 2013, 09:45:49 PM
I think the tournament is confirmed for the 15th December ? Does anybody know if this is correct and can anyone confirm the teams taking part ?

From what I understand Armagh, Derry, Down and Louth are playing. I read that Armagh were to play Down on dec 5th and that the final was on 15th.