Cardinal O'Fiaich Cup

Started by BennyCake, November 20, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Is it not because Tyrone don't play in Challenge games under Mickey Harte? Suppose this is a tournament but still really challenge games before Christmas

T Fearon

Back in the day Tyrone would have been happy to play in this or any other tournament to get their hands on a trophy.It has just struck me,that every county in the Armagh diocese is now an All Ireland Senior Football title winner.How delighted must the late Cardinal O'Fiaich be about that!

Agent Orange

Armagh and Down supporters in football limbo, with all interests for the year ended in both the club and county scene until the January McKenna Cup, have been thrown a pre–Christmas bonus following the decision to restore the Cardinal O'Fiaich Cup to the footballing calendar.
With Tyrone excluded through the "two month rule" the four teams competing in the O'Fiaich Cup are Armagh, Down, Louth and Derry. My understanding is that all the scheduled "night games "will be played at the Athletic Grounds commencing on Dec 5 when Armagh host Down and the daylight games will take place in the traditional home of the competition Crossmaglen. The final of the competition is on Sun Dec 15.
The Armagh manager has added a dozen new faces, all in their early 20s to his panel. The Orchard boss also has the vastly experienced Andy Mallon and Charlie Vernon, plus the returned Jamie Clarke to add to his squad. With his formidable backroom team in place and a raft of new faces to view, it has heightened expectancy amongst Orchard supporters who will relish the early opportunity to see their team in action.
Pitted with Donegal, Tyrone and Queens in the McKenna Cup following games with Down, Derry and Louth is ideal preparation for the Div Two league campaign which commences on Feb 1 away to neighbours Louth.

supersarsfields

What's the story with training for this? Was there not some rule that teams couldn't collectively train in Nov and Dec? Or did I dream this??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 25, 2013, 02:22:29 PM
What's the story with training for this? Was there not some rule that teams couldn't collectively train in Nov and Dec? Or did I dream this??

I've seen teams training away this past 2 months ffs, so that's a load of balls
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersarsfields

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2013, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on November 25, 2013, 02:22:29 PM

I've seen teams training away this past 2 months ffs, so that's a load of balls

Possibly but I'm nearly sure there's a rule regarding it.

supersarsfields

Quick google and it seems I didn't dream it.

QuoteMotion 27: Collective Training/Closed Period

Motion 27, which proposed a compromise to the ban on collective training in November and December, was carried by a significant majority.

Eighty-four per cent of delegates voted to change the current timetable for inter-county teams returning to training over the winter months.

"Senior Inter-County panels may return to training for a following year on a timetable determined by their time of exit from the All-Ireland Championships in a current year as follows:

Exit June; Commence Training November 15th
   Exit July; Commence Training December 1st
   Exit August; Commence Training December 8th
   Exit September; Commence Training December 29th

There shall be a mandatory closed period for games and collective training of all Senior Inter County panels from December 21st to 28th inclusive. The months of November and December shall be closed months for games and collective training for all other Inter County panels.

armaghniac

QuoteI've seen teams training away this past 2 months ffs, so that's a load of balls

Antrim are allowed start before everyone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 25, 2013, 03:47:12 PM
Which county teams have been training for next year since before the AI Final, milltown? That's crazy.

October and November, as far as I'm aware the AI are played in September but maybe I've missed that.

Maybe this team really fancies themselves this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 25, 2013, 04:00:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2013, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 25, 2013, 03:47:12 PM
Which county teams have been training for next year since before the AI Final, milltown? That's crazy.

October and November, as far as I'm aware the AI are played in September but maybe I've missed that.

Maybe this team really fancies themselves this year
Oh, I thought you meant end of September to end of November.
Who are they anyway?

That would be telling, they weren't training in Belfast that's for sure

rodney trotter

Collective training in October doesn't count Milltown. If a team exited the Championship in June they are allowed back in November 15th, team exits in July its December 1st,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2013, 04:11:18 PM
Collective training in October doesn't count Milltown. If a team exited the Championship in June they are allowed back in November 15th, team exits in July its December 1st,

I've no problems with it in fairness, some teams need to get together early as they haven't done anything since June, they are at a disadvantage because the Tyrones Donegal's of this world have trained right up to the quarters/semis with a lot more intensity to it

rodney trotter

They aren't breaking any rules doing a few sessions in October. November and December were the months for the closed season. Then it was changed last  years to let some Counties back earlier in November 15th and early December 1st, and all Counties by the 8th.

BennyCake

Whats the entrance fee tomorrow for the Armagh v Down match?

T Fearon

Nothing beats being there... in front of your own computer watching it on Armagh TV. ;D

Amazed by the confusion caused by this and lack of knowledge of GAA journalists. This cup is not named after the late Cardinal O'Fiaich, it was presented by him and named  after his late brother, Dr Patrick Fee.