Suicide - why can't we just name it?

Started by Eamonnca1, November 05, 2013, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Recent reports of young Irish people who took their own lives had one glaring omission: the cause of death.  When someone dies of a heart attack, stroke, cancer, car accident or whatever, we always hear the cause of death.  But in the case of suicide it's different. It's reported as a "sudden" death.  And when I heard the news about Niall Donohue I was listening to the report on Newstalk about it and waiting for the cause of death, but it never came.  It was hidden in a tangential reference to counseling, phone numbers for organizations like the Samaritans, and other riddles that leave it up to the listener to figure it out.  I've looked back at written news reports and all I can see is that "sudden death" has become a euphemism for suicide.  It seems like no media outlet wants to spell out the cause, almost as if it's a matter of shame and they want to spare the family some sort of embarrassment.

I just don't get it.  Why are we so reticent to talk about this? 

I don't buy the argument that it'll lead to copycat suicides.  The cause of death is going to become public knowledge one way or another, so why not come out and say it?  Suicide clusters have many causes, but openly talking about the issue is not one of them.

By looking down at our feet and shuffling around uncomfortably, muttering some code-words to imply suicide without actually using that word, we reinforce the perception that this is a taboo subject that must not be talked about, and we perpetuate the "keep it all bottled up" culture that makes it so hard for people to reach out and ask for help when they need it most. 

Call it what it is.

It was suicide.

It was caused by mental health problems, and this is a serious medical condition that can be addressed.  It is possible to prevent this sort of tragedy, but keeping our mouths shut about it and talking in riddles is not going to help.

gallsman

Very good post and something I've noticed becoming increasingly prevalent.

trileacman

I posted "best not to speculate on the cause of death." and I take affront to the accusation that I am reinforcing anything.

Guys had made suggestions of SADS and other heart problems when in reality sudden death in men at that age has one highly likely cause. Unless you wanted a thread where we all threw in our 2 pence suggestions until someone said "I heard he killed himself".

There is a clear distinction between not wanting to talk about suicide and not wanting to speculate on the cause of death of a 23-year old GAA player on a GAA forum when none of us had the facts. So take my quote out of that OP, what I said has nothing at all to do with this thread.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

When I heard about the Galway lad, I did assume it was suicide, as it didn't state the cause.

I know alot of cases of suicide can be prevented, if people get the right help. But some are determined to go through with it. I knew of someone last year who took their own life. They'd tried it before a few times, and failed for different reasons, but eventually did it. How do people stop it if some people just have had enough of life? Can it be prevented?

muppet

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 05, 2013, 11:39:57 PM
At least part of it is to do with life insurance - coroners are often asked by the family of the deceased to record something other than suicide e.g. open verdict, as the insurance companies will often not pay out if the cause of death is recorded as suicide.

That needs to be changed right away.

The financial industry is largely to blame for the recent rise in suicides in Ireland. It can start taking responsibly for some of its own mess.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

At least part of it is to do with life insurance - coroners are often asked by the family of the deceased to record something other than suicide e.g. open verdict, as the insurance companies will often not pay out if the cause of death is recorded as suicide.

Actually, unless it's a recently taken out policy, most large life companies will pay a claim (subject to any policy exclusions) in the event of suicide.

Corner Forward

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2013, 05:21:38 AM

The financial industry is largely to blame for the recent rise in suicides in Ireland. It can start taking responsibly for some of its own mess.

Could actually lead to more suicides. Those who are contemplating suicide due to finanical worries may be encouraged to do so if they felt their family would gain financially from it. But do agree that financial institutions and those who cause someone to want to end their lives need to be held more accountable.

Cold tea

My friends suicide was recorded as death through misadventure and to be honest I think this was a comfort to his parents as it didn't stipulate suicide on his death register.

nrico2006

I always think the same when someone kills themselves.  There seems to be this taboo over actually stating the cause of death.  Joe Brollys article was the first I have read that used the word 'hanging', and it is a strong word.  The way these type of deaths are swept under the carpet are not going to help bring the issue to the publics attention. 

Was there or is there some kind of different treatment with regards to funeral/burial for people who committ suicide?

I recall a few years ago that a high profile GAA player committed suicide and there was a full set of fixtures played soon after.  I remember at the time somebody telling me that they would have been called off had it been a death that wasn't caused by suicide, not sure of how accurate this is/was though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

I agree with the main post and said as much after recent events. The 'sudden death' term is widely used to report suicide across all media streams and I just don't understand it. It's nearly an unwritten rule you cannot state the death was suicide when it is already confirmed, I can't fathom the long term benefits of this personally but i'm certainly no expert.

nrico that word struck a chord with me when reading Brolly's article, first time i've seen it too used.

macdanger2

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2013, 05:21:38 AM

Has there been a rise in suicides since the start of the recession? Wouldn't have thought finances would be a big cause among young people, probably more the 35-55 age group would be worst affected by the financial end of things

AQMP

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Actually, unless it's a recently taken out policy, most large life companies will pay a claim (subject to any policy exclusions) in the event of suicide.

gallsman is correct here.  The vast majority of life insurance policies now cover suicide unless it happens within 12 months of taking out the policy or if the person taking out the policy fails to declare e.g. pre-existing mental health problems, previous suicide attempts.

north aontroim gael

I would of thought that another reason was to not pubiclise it (suicide) too widely.

You will find that one suicide can trigger the same action in other people who may be in difficulties.  I know West Belfast and my own area in North Antrim have had times when it was very prevalent.

deiseach

No one is stopping anyone calling it suicide. But - and God help me for saying this - I think it is to the credit of the media in Ireland that they are collectively capable of demonstrating some subtlety in this matter. I can't imagine there is any more difficult death to deal with than suicide as the survivors (for want of a better term) agonise over what they might have done differently, the signs they missed that might have averted disaster. The last thing they need is their trauma being blared out in print/over the airwaves.

brokencrossbar1

While it is important not to hide from the word it is also important to appreciate the impact that this type of death has on the family that are left behind.  We do need to face the issue of suicide head on but how do you think that Niall O'Donaghue's family might have reacted to reading a paper and seeing the details of their son's death in print or saw it on the television?  Dealing with death is exceptionally hard, dealing with losing a member of your family through suicide is beyond comprehension.  When someone dies in a car crash or by a heart attack or through cancer you can't really say 'what if'.  With suicide those what ifs are there all the time.  Why exacerbate the pain the families are going through.  They know, and everyone else who is important or cares know what has happened, it is very difficult to deal with the whole thing without it being broadcast. 

Suicide is very much an issue that needs to be addressed but it is not the taboo it was years ago.  Reporting of it needs to be very sensitive because at the end of it all there are families trying to pick up broken lives with questions that can never be answered and pain that can never leave you.