Suicide - why can't we just name it?

Started by Eamonnca1, November 05, 2013, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

You would like to think the Samaritans would have a good brief of how this should be reported . The do's and don't sections of the link below covers a lot of what has been mentioned above

http://www.samaritans.org/media-centre/media-guidelines-reporting-suicide

On average, more than 6,000 individuals take their own lives by suicide each year
across the United Kingdom (UK) and Republic of Ireland (ROI). Some of these deaths
attract media attention. Suicide is a complex topic and presents a distinct set
of challenges for the journalists who report on it. They have to balance a range
of factors including what is in the public interest and the risk of encouraging
imitative behaviour. At the same time they must guard against intrusion into the
grief and shock of the bereaved while considering industry regulation and codes
of practice.
Research shows that inappropriate reporting of
suicide may lead to imitative or 'copycat' behaviour.
For example, if vulnerable groups such as people with
mental health problems and young people are provided
with details about the method of suicide used, it can
lead to more deaths using the same method.
Similarly, a vulnerable person who might not otherwise
have attempted suicide could strongly identify with a
particular characteristic of a person who has died by
suicide, and this may lead them to take their own life.
Through working closely with the media to promote
responsible reporting of suicide, we have seen signs
of significant progress over the years. One of the ways
coverage of suicide can have a positive effect is by
encouraging people to seek help. Sensitive coverage
can also help reduce the taboo around talking about
suicidal feelings as well as challenging stigma.

Hardy

The copycat phenomenon does appear to be real and media reporting appears to have a major influence on it. So it may be reasonable to assume that media conventions in reporting and naming suicide may, at least in part, for once, be well motivated. My primary reason for this speculation is the The Viennese experience 1980–1996.

gallsman

Quote from: ludermor on November 06, 2013, 09:58:49 AM
They have to balance a range
imitative behaviour. At the same time they must guard against intrusion into the
of practice.

That's something I find strange about the Niall O'Donoughue case. Whilst an inter-county hurler, his unfortunate death was certainly not a matter in the national interest that required national media reporting - word would have travelled soon enough without it being splashed all over the papers. Did the media need to report on it? Did Anthony Cunningham need to make statements? Would it be better if we left the families to grieve without publishing anything?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 11:29:52 AM
of practice.

That's something I find strange about the Niall O'Donoughue case. Whilst an inter-county hurler, his unfortunate death was certainly not a matter in the national interest that required national media reporting - word would have travelled soon enough without it being splashed all over the papers. Did the media need to report on it? Did Anthony Cunningham need to make statements? Would it be better if we left the families to grieve without publishing anything?

Yes

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
The copycat phenomenon does appear to be real and media reporting appears to have a major influence on it. So it may be reasonable to assume that media conventions in reporting and naming suicide may, at least in part, for once, be well motivated. My primary reason for this speculation is the The Viennese experience 1980–1996.
I wouldn't have thought it but that Viennese experiment study has been repeated and basically the similar conclusions were held. The extensive media reporting had a trigger effect, though there has to be an underlying cause but seeing how there's no comeback from the trigger and  a latent desire to commit suicide is more than likely to be replaced by something better at a later stage,  then it's beyond debate.
Furthermore  was there not some discussion in the public domain on whether the profuse adulation a teenage suicide casualty received  via  online tributes, church eulogies, truckloads of flowers, having the effect on some teenagers as  glamorising the whole event, reinforcing a decision to commit suicide in another teenager in similar circumstances?

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2013, 11:28:58 AM
I believe Kildare has a much higher than usual attempted suicide figures among teenage girls, which may have a substantial copycat element. It hasn't got much media coverage, but you can't stop word of mouth.
And of course regarding any of the poor unfortunates who are successful, the natural reaction is to speak glowingly of them, and putting them on a pedestal (mostly in an effort to comfort those left behind). But does that unwittingly encourage the copycat element.

I don't know diddly, but in my opinion the more talk about it the better. More communication and more education of young people. Letting them know where you go for help if you or someone you know needs it.  And letting them know of the pain and tragedy left behind when suicides occur.

seafoid

Copycat suicide is an old phenomenon . Goethe wrote "the sorrows of young Werther" in the 1700s . The character in the book died by suicide and there was a wave of suicides across Europe after the release of the book. That was when Romanticism was really flying.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2013, 03:07:21 PM
Copycat suicide is an old phenomenon . Goethe wrote "the sorrows of young Werther" in the 1700s . The character in the book died by suicide and there was a wave of suicides across Europe after the release of the book. That was when Romanticism was really flying.

Malcolm Gladwell had a chapter in The Tipping Point on the subject as it occurred in Micronesia.

Here is another piece on it: http://guampedia.com/contemporary-guam-suicide-in-micronesia/
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 06, 2013, 11:35:54 AM
of practice.

Yes

I'd be inclined to agree - his story made national headlines as he was an inter county hurler. Let's be honest though, he'd hardly have been the most prominent sportsman in the land so why do the media report it all? Do we as a society particularly want to hear about it, even though 99% of us didn't know the lad or his family? Suicides happen all over the place all year long and are never reported on.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 08:31:18 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 06, 2013, 11:35:54 AM
of practice.

Yes

I'd be inclined to agree - his story made national headlines as he was an inter county hurler. Let's be honest though, he'd hardly have been the most prominent sportsman in the land so why do the media report it all? Do we as a society particularly want to hear about it, even though 99% of us didn't know the lad or his family? Suicides happen all over the place all year long and are never reported on.

This might sound funny but we seem to be more likely to watch the funeral of some famous person we never met, in preference to attending a funeral of a person who lived nearby or we knew, but we 'only' met <insert number> of times.
MWWSI 2017

glens abu

Was at discussion one night on suicide and aMother of a child who had taken his own life got very annoyed with the term"committed suicide ".have been very careful not to use it since.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2013, 08:34:35 PM
This might sound funny but we seem to be more likely to watch the funeral of some famous person we never met, in preference to attending a funeral of a person who lived nearby or we knew, but we 'only' met <insert number> of times.

Meh, speak for your self. I've never sat down and watched a funeral on the telly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Worker

Quote from: glens abu on November 06, 2013, 08:38:43 PM
Was at discussion one night on suicide and aMother of a child who had taken his own life got very annoyed with the term"committed suicide ".have been very careful not to use it since.

Attended a suicide awareness seminar recently by pips newry and mourne and they stressed that we should not use the term 'committed' in this context as it relates back to a time when suicide was illegal in the eyes of the law.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: The Worker on November 07, 2013, 07:22:58 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 06, 2013, 08:38:43 PM

Attended a suicide awareness seminar recently by pips newry and mourne and they stressed that we should not use the term 'committed' in this context as it relates back to a time when suicide was illegal in the eyes of the law.

Not trying to be awkward, but how else would you say it - carried out suicide? killed himself?
Hasta la victoria siempre

haveaharp

Not trying to deflect from the subject matter but i remember a time when someone died of cancer that "cancer" wouldn't be said. Like there was some sort of shame in it. Anyone else get this ?