Started by SkillfulBill, September 23, 2013, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Sidney on September 25, 2013, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 25, 2013, 10:48:32 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 06:10:38 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 24, 2013, 06:07:56 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 06:01:57 PM
I think it should be knocked and a proper 3 tier seated stand put in.
I've always thought Croke Park looks unfinished the way it is now.
cant be knocked due to the railway line

We can put a man on the moon but we can't divert a railway line...

Railway line is no excuse. Past time they finished the stadium properly. The railway should be an asset to get fans in and out of the place.

I know we like to think that GAA fans can mix but there was some abuse on the Hill last day. How some on The Hill would have reacted if Mayo had won and our fans went giddy I don t know - but there was abuse even in victory.  I mean it was not Mayo fans problem that they had Hill tickets - so why were they told to f**k off over to the stands. As if a Mayo fan would choose to stand on a hostile hill for 2 matches if stand tickets were available!

And f**k atmosphere. Fairness and safety more important. Opposition fans being abused, intimidated and threatened is not on, even if the decent Dublin fans in shining armour put the gurriers in their place and save the day. Time to get rid of The Hill.
I would suggest that the GAA could put the many tens of millions (probably well over 100 million) it would take to "complete" Croke Park to better use.

Abuse happens at every match. A Kilkenny man had no problem in turning around to abuse me when I clapped when Dublin were awarded frees during the replay in Portlaoise this year. On a terrace, you can at least move away from any idiot who is beside you. If the Hill was seated, you'd still have had Mayo fans on it. I'd rather be standing beside an idiot than sitting beside one.

As for the booing of freetakers  which other people have complained about, I have no problem with it whichever set of fans are doing it.

Look Sidney, I know well that Dublin football people are as sound as from anywhere but a tanked up hill is a different kettle of fish. I remember back on the old hill when I went in and kept my mouth shut as a neutral there would be fights and stuff among Dubs themselves. Yeah there s a share of Mayo lads that you wouldn t want to be around at a match. I ve has issues with Rossies. Galways and Sligos etc in the past. But the Dublin thing is so enormous. You might think there all decent skins but it can be be iffy enough with kids and all. I shook hands with a few Dubs after the game. They were sound. A middle class couple with lovely kids. One guy was also sound but lost the rag at one stage when a Mayo fan was raging about the obvious foul on Cunniffe that almost led to a McAuley goal and a pointed 45 that gave Dublin another foothold. This guy s reaction left a sour taste ' it's not dis ref s fault that yiz are shite since 1961 @(sic). Look, I come from a place where we know how to rip the piss - but we choose to do it with people we know. Maybe it is that lack of assertivness in our county as a whole that is keeping us in our box. We dont like to offend people we dont know.

Even where I parked there was a protection racket going on- after the match! . Played the game and gave a few hoodlums a few euro -  just to get rid of the f**kers. Did not want to engage them and if I did and reacted then it would have got nasty and God knows what these guys were carrying.  My young lads were raging and probably rightly so but didn t I wan t the hassle. I mean anybody that demands money for that kind of thing, and you overhear telling another driver that his windows will be smashed next time is some chancer. I ve been doing this for years and I ve always been able to drive home.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: moysider on September 26, 2013, 01:17:14 AM
Quote from: Sidney on September 25, 2013, 11:38:00 PM

Railway line is no excuse. Past time they finished the stadium properly. The railway should be an asset to get fans in and out of the place.

I know we like to think that GAA fans can mix but there was some abuse on the Hill last day. How some on The Hill would have reacted if Mayo had won and our fans went giddy I don t know - but there was abuse even in victory.  I mean it was not Mayo fans problem that they had Hill tickets - so why were they told to f**k off over to the stands. As if a Mayo fan would choose to stand on a hostile hill for 2 matches if stand tickets were available!

And f**k atmosphere. Fairness and safety more important. Opposition fans being abused, intimidated and threatened is not on, even if the decent Dublin fans in shining armour put the gurriers in their place and save the day. Time to get rid of The Hill.
I would suggest that the GAA could put the many tens of millions (probably well over 100 million) it would take to "complete" Croke Park to better use.

Abuse happens at every match. A Kilkenny man had no problem in turning around to abuse me when I clapped when Dublin were awarded frees during the replay in Portlaoise this year. On a terrace, you can at least move away from any idiot who is beside you. If the Hill was seated, you'd still have had Mayo fans on it. I'd rather be standing beside an idiot than sitting beside one.

As for the booing of freetakers  which other people have complained about, I have no problem with it whichever set of fans are doing it.

Look Sidney, I know well that Dublin football people are as sound as from anywhere but a tanked up hill is a different kettle of fish. I remember back on the old hill when I went in and kept my mouth shut as a neutral there would be fights and stuff among Dubs themselves. Yeah there s a share of Mayo lads that you wouldn t want to be around at a match. I ve has issues with Rossies. Galways and Sligos etc in the past. But the Dublin thing is so enormous. You might think there all decent skins but it can be be iffy enough with kids and all. I shook hands with a few Dubs after the game. They were sound. A middle class couple with lovely kids. One guy was also sound but lost the rag at one stage when a Mayo fan was raging about the obvious foul on Cunniffe that almost led to a McAuley goal and a pointed 45 that gave Dublin another foothold. This guy s reaction left a sour taste ' it's not dis ref s fault that yiz are shite since 1961 @(sic). Look, I come from a place where we know how to rip the piss - but we choose to do it with people we know. Maybe it is that lack of assertivness in our county as a whole that is keeping us in our box. We dont like to offend people we dont know.

Even where I parked there was a protection racket going on- after the match! . Played the game and gave a few hoodlums a few euro -  just to get rid of the f**kers. Did not want to engage them and if I did and reacted then it would have got nasty and God knows what these guys were carrying.  My young lads were raging and probably rightly so but didn t I wan t the hassle. I mean anybody that demands money for that kind of thing, and you overhear telling another driver that his windows will be smashed next time is some chancer. I ve been doing this for years and I ve always been able to drive home.

Ive had issues with this numerous times bucko.........................these are spawn of the lowest kind, I wouldnt even call them dubs or Irish, just kn**ker parasites...........................shame on the garda too for not cleaning this up when they in some case are only yards away from this intimidation

Dirk Diggler

Only in Dublin would you have to pay 'protection money' to park your car in a free parking space. I believe the, ah, enterprising Dubs are known as 'lockhards'.

Dirk Diggler

"Atmosphere" is what a crowd of drunken skangers say they bring when they invade any place. And the decent Dubs say they keep the skangers in place -  they do in me bollix. The decent Dubs mightn't approve of the skangers and their antics, but their tut-tutting doesn't  do a single shagging thing to stop them.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dirk Diggler on September 27, 2013, 01:34:10 AM
Only in Dublin would you have to pay 'protection money' to park your car in a free parking space. I believe the, ah, enterprising Dubs are known as 'lockhards'.
what does this point have todo with the title of the thread?

Michael Schmeichal

In fairness Moysider we are meant to be discussing DUblin Football Supporters and Hi 16 here. Bringing lockhards into it is like us blaming Mayo Football Supporters for Beverly Flynn or any other undesireable from your good county.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dirk Diggler on September 27, 2013, 01:38:00 AM

"Atmosphere" is what a crowd of drunken skangers say they bring when they invade any place. And the decent Dubs say they keep the skangers in place -  they do in me bollix. The decent Dubs mightn't approve of the skangers and their antics, but their tut-tutting doesn't  do a single shagging thing to stop them.
not nearly as many scumbags on the hill as there used to be!

easytiger95

Let's follow the arguments here

1. Should Hill be Dublin only (trolling opener, anyone who knows anything about GAA ticketing knows that all counties are allocated Hill tickets and usually swap them back)

2. Feck the Dubs - how dare they think they own a spot in Croke Park! (see above, and also it was Dublin fans who first gave it the identity it has by deciding to congregate there - back in the day a full Canal End of Meath men was a brilliant counterpoint to it)

3. Anyway Hill 16 is full of scumbags, who'd want to go there? ( bit of a circular argument here, it is the preponderance of dubs fans which gives it the identity and force that it has, which means that opposition fans want to go there to plant a flag, silence/taunt the locals, which in turn leads to hassle with the local fans. Perhaps then remove all Dublin fans, thus leaving Hill 16 country only, so in five years time a Dub can start trolling this topic from the opposite point of view?)

5. Sure aren't all dubs knackers anyway, look at the booing, and the parking. (In a previous life my work took me to nearly every major GAA ground in the country, and one thing that fans have in common is that they boo kickers - not all of them but a lot of them. GAA fans are not rugby fans and the attempt to clothe them in the Munster Rugby respect - type blather is snobbery and insecurity. As for the parking situation, if you had a stadium in Limerick, Cork, Galway which every Sunday from July onwards was guaranteed a crowd of 40k plus in the middle of a largely residential tract of the inner city, I don't think it would be too long before the locals scum bags came out to play.)

6. They treat it like their home ground and it is a big advantage to them. (Lads for various historical reasons, Dublin is the capital city. And any sports organisation worth it's salt would want their headquarters there. So until we find a different way of organising ourselves other than as counties, then yes, we will be playing at home more than others. And by the way, every time a road trip is suggested in Leinster, the ugly truth rears its head - there is nowhere big enough to hold the crowd we will bring. The Leinster Council could ignore this if they liked, but for financial and health'n'safety reasons, they choose not to. And as for Croke Park being an advantage to us may I please refer you all to the 16 years between 1995 and 2011? And for the really hard of learning, please look at the 12 years between 1983 and 1995. And for the truly dumb, please look back at the period between 1958 and 1974 - one All Ireland title in 16 years.)

It's truly disheartening to see the level of bile spat at not only the team, but my county after this win. I don't know why the fact that I come from a city rather than a rural background would make a difference to my pride as a county man - it doesn't, especially as, for a lot of reasons, there is a large amount of people in Dublin to whom the concept of county pride doesn't occur. A fair amount of contributors on this thread would need to grow up - ironically, least of all the Mayo fans, who like their team, did their county proud last Sunday. You will be back, fired by the same pride in place and achievement that we have in Dublin. And when ye beat us, as you have done before, I hope it will be in front of a Blue Hill, silenced by a better team.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 27, 2013, 08:52:29 PM

1. Should Hill be Dublin only (trolling opener, anyone who knows anything about GAA ticketing knows that all counties are allocated Hill tickets and usually swap them back)

2. Feck the Dubs - how dare they think they own a spot in Croke Park! (see above, and also it was Dublin fans who first gave it the identity it has by deciding to congregate there - back in the day a full Canal End of Meath men was a brilliant counterpoint to it)

3. Anyway Hill 16 is full of scumbags, who'd want to go there? ( bit of a circular argument here, it is the preponderance of dubs fans which gives it the identity and force that it has, which means that opposition fans want to go there to plant a flag, silence/taunt the locals, which in turn leads to hassle with the local fans. Perhaps then remove all Dublin fans, thus leaving Hill 16 country only, so in five years time a Dub can start trolling this topic from the opposite point of view?)

5. Sure aren't all dubs knackers anyway, look at the booing, and the parking. (In a previous life my work took me to nearly every major GAA ground in the country, and one thing that fans have in common is that they boo kickers - not all of them but a lot of them. GAA fans are not rugby fans and the attempt to clothe them in the Munster Rugby respect - type blather is snobbery and insecurity. As for the parking situation, if you had a stadium in Limerick, Cork, Galway which every Sunday from July onwards was guaranteed a crowd of 40k plus in the middle of a largely residential tract of the inner city, I don't think it would be too long before the locals scum bags came out to play.)

6. They treat it like their home ground and it is a big advantage to them. (Lads for various historical reasons, Dublin is the capital city. And any sports organisation worth it's salt would want their headquarters there. So until we find a different way of organising ourselves other than as counties, then yes, we will be playing at home more than others. And by the way, every time a road trip is suggested in Leinster, the ugly truth rears its head - there is nowhere big enough to hold the crowd we will bring. The Leinster Council could ignore this if they liked, but for financial and health'n'safety reasons, they choose not to. And as for Croke Park being an advantage to us may I please refer you all to the 16 years between 1995 and 2011? And for the really hard of learning, please look at the 12 years between 1983 and 1995. And for the truly dumb, please look back at the period between 1958 and 1974 - one All Ireland title in 16 years.)

It's truly disheartening to see the level of bile spat at not only the team, but my county after this win. I don't know why the fact that I come from a city rather than a rural background would make a difference to my pride as a county man - it doesn't, especially as, for a lot of reasons, there is a large amount of people in Dublin to whom the concept of county pride doesn't occur. A fair amount of contributors on this thread would need to grow up - ironically, least of all the Mayo fans, who like their team, did their county proud last Sunday. You will be back, fired by the same pride in place and achievement that we have in Dublin. And when ye beat us, as you have done before, I hope it will be in front of a Blue Hill, silenced by a better team.
great post

SkillfulBill

Not overly happy with the direction this thread has taken.  Firstly the thread was not trolling in anyway.  I genuinely believe the hill should remain a predominantly Dublin area and I feel that last Sunday the atmosphere was the worse for the fact that Mayo County Board chose not to swap their allocation of tickets for the hill as various other counties have done in the past. I believe it was an attempt to gain some advantage on the pitch. What surprised me most about the thread is the level of hostility held towards the Dublin supporters and the lack of toleration towards a tradotion which goes back a considerable length of time which has brought great colour and atmosphere to past finals.

moysider

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 27, 2013, 10:41:17 PM

Not overly happy with the direction this thread has taken.  Firstly the thread was not trolling in anyway.  I genuinely believe the hill should remain a predominantly Dublin area and I feel that last Sunday the atmosphere was the worse for the fact that Mayo County Board chose not to swap their allocation of tickets for the hill as various other counties have done in the past. I believe it was an attempt to gain some advantage on the pitch. What surprised me most about the thread is the level of hostility held towards the Dublin supporters and the lack of toleration towards a tradotion which goes back a considerable length of time which has brought great colour and atmosphere to past finals.

I doubt that dynamic was happening tbh. My own club was allocated 50 Hill tickets week of the final. Not like board was in a position to negotiate to get stands instead. Stand tickets go everywhere for a final and some filter back to fans but it s all ad hoc. The best seats go to season ticket holders, 10 year ticket holders and are cherry picket by senior club blazers for themselves and their families. There are no cheap tickets anywhere except The Hill and I cant imagine Croke Park reducing The Davin by 50% and putting Dublin s opponents in there.

When CP do a review of last weeks match they have to reach the conclusion that that seating arrangement cannot be continued. They shit themselves about pitch invasions ( I m not for pitch invasions either) and they somehow think that the Hill 16 arrangement was safe ::) The reality is that the Hill has to be Dublin only for health and safety reasons alone. Local stewards and a few guards on The Hill as some kind of security is a joke.

f**k the atmosphere. You d swear there was never an atmosphere there unless Dublin were playing. Savage atmosphere there for loads of games, hurling and football.

moysider

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 27, 2013, 09:23:02 AM

In fairness Moysider we are meant to be discussing DUblin Football Supporters and Hi 16 here. Bringing lockhards into it is like us blaming Mayo Football Supporters for Beverly Flynn or any other undesireable from your good county.

Jaysus, you re a gas man Peter. What kind of analogy is that? I m very fornunate that I ve never encountered Miss Beverly and I doubt you will either. Lockhards however - hell they were not even there to help me park! just got the shake down after - are part of the rare old experience of parking a car in Phibsboro or Drumcondra or Mountjoy Square etc. on the day of a match. Part of the occasion I suppose.

Apologies for going off the point. I know I should embrace the 'lockhard' as  examples of a surviving but harmless and enterprising minority culture. Part of a great day out.

The substantive issue is a no-brainer. From a safety angle, Hill 16 can never be allowed to be managed again as an integrated location for fans,for a final with Dublin involved. In fact there should be an inquiry as to how it was allowed to happen last Sunday. No use having one after a bad thing happens.

BennyCake

The Orange Order excuse - its tradition. Tradition me hole.

I've been to many big games in CP where Dublin isn't involved and the atmosphere has been fantastic. In fact, in my opinion, I can't stand that shite that Dubs bring to big games. With their soccer chanting, pointing, clapping, booing etc.

Mayo were fully entitled to be on the hill. The way you Dubs go on is like, if Dublin aren't in an AI final, sure we might as well just close the hill. Other counties can create great atmospheres too!

armaghniac

QuoteThe substantive issue is a no-brainer. From a safety angle, Hill 16 can never be allowed to be managed again as an integrated location for fans,for a final with Dublin involved. In fact there should be an inquiry as to how it was allowed to happen last Sunday. No use having one after a bad thing happens.

If the Dubs cannot behave themselves, then do not allocate them any Hill tickets.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on September 28, 2013, 12:07:41 AM

The Orange Order excuse - its tradition. Tradition me hole.

I've been to many big games in CP where Dublin isn't involved and the atmosphere has been fantastic. In fact, in my opinion, I can't stand that shite that Dubs bring to big games. With their soccer chanting, pointing, clapping, booing etc.

Mayo were fully entitled to be on the hill. The way you Dubs go on is like, if Dublin aren't in an AI final, sure we might as well just close the hill. Other counties can create great atmospheres too!

Horse sh@t I ain't no Dub I am Tyrone man and for what it's worth I think the Dubs bring a unique atmosphere to CP and I feel they are the best supporters in the country bar none.