Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club Rossa

maddog

From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british bastards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM
A comment on another thread made me think. Would you support your neighbours/greatest rivals in a game like an All Ireland, or would that be a step too far? In what circumstances would you shout for them?

I know there is a strong Ulster and Connacht tradition of wishing their 'representatives' well, but I get a sense that is diluting a little bit in Ulster's case as they've gotten more successful individually. It's never really been a Leinster thing, although I'd have always shouted for Kilkenny in hurling on the basis that I wanted everyone else to see what we had to deal with. In the football I'm not sure I've ever shouted for a Leinster team just because they are Leinster. I've leant towards Meath in a couple of big games because I admire their tradition and the fact that you used to be able to hit and get hit without a war crimes tribunal being called for.

So, in a Vox Pop, state your county, your rival neighbour(s) and if you would support them in an All Ireland against a county other than your own (or if there are special circumstances)

In a county like Offaly, we have several neighbours and depending on your location within the county you may or may not be that affected by the rivalry. I'm from the West, so our local Football rivals would be Westmeath. I'd never have even considered supporting them in the past, unless a relation was playing, but I think these days I've softened to them and I would wish them well at this stage.

In hurling Galway would be closest to ourselves, and I have no problem shouting for Galway unless they are playing someone with a painful history like Limerick or Waterford.

I know lads in Gracefield that will never shout for Laois, Edenderry for Kildare, Coolderry for Tipp, etc.  What about in yer neck of the woods?

I don't understand this provincial camaraderie shite. Would Cork be shouting for Kerry? Would the Royals be backing the Dubs?

The answer is NO and NO. Full stop.

I'm from Down, I support Down. Sin é.

(Apart from a wee sneaking admiration for Kerry ;))
The Aristocrat Years

maddog

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2013, 02:32:34 PM
A comment on another thread made me think. Would you support your neighbours/greatest rivals in a game like an All Ireland, or would that be a step too far? In what circumstances would you shout for them?

I know there is a strong Ulster and Connacht tradition of wishing their 'representatives' well, but I get a sense that is diluting a little bit in Ulster's case as they've gotten more successful individually. It's never really been a Leinster thing, although I'd have always shouted for Kilkenny in hurling on the basis that I wanted everyone else to see what we had to deal with. In the football I'm not sure I've ever shouted for a Leinster team just because they are Leinster. I've leant towards Meath in a couple of big games because I admire their tradition and the fact that you used to be able to hit and get hit without a war crimes tribunal being called for.

So, in a Vox Pop, state your county, your rival neighbour(s) and if you would support them in an All Ireland against a county other than your own (or if there are special circumstances)

In a county like Offaly, we have several neighbours and depending on your location within the county you may or may not be that affected by the rivalry. I'm from the West, so our local Football rivals would be Westmeath. I'd never have even considered supporting them in the past, unless a relation was playing, but I think these days I've softened to them and I would wish them well at this stage.

In hurling Galway would be closest to ourselves, and I have no problem shouting for Galway unless they are playing someone with a painful history like Limerick or Waterford.

I know lads in Gracefield that will never shout for Laois, Edenderry for Kildare, Coolderry for Tipp, etc.  What about in yer neck of the woods?

I don't understand this provincial camaraderie shite. Would Cork be shouting for Kerry? Would the Royals be backing the Dubs?

We know 5 sams, you fancy yourselves as somehow similar. :o

blanketattack

From Kerry.

Cork. No, not a hope, not in any sport.
If any Cork team were taking on a team made up of the soldiers that took part in Bloody Sunday, the police responsible for the false convictions of the Birmingham six and the Guildford four, Fred West (back from the dead), Oliver Cromwell (back from the dead) and a who's who of the most vile human beings that ever lived, I'd shout for the latter.

Our other bordering county is Limerick, would shout for them alright, sure didn't they give us Ger Power and Ogie Moran.

We've no other bordering counties in Ireland, but on the other side of things New York could be considered our neighbour to the west and in that regard I hate the Yankees and Giants with a passion.
I don't mind the Mets, Rangers, Knicks, Nets, Red Bulls or Jets though.

That being said if Cork were taking on a team that were going for the 5-in-a-row, I might actually shout for Cork, as every Kerryman knows it's Kerry's divine right to achieve it first! 3 near misses so far.

5 Sams

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2013, 02:32:34 PM

We know 5 sams, you fancy yourselves as somehow similar. :o

I call it mutual respect.
The Aristocrat Years

Walter Cronc

What about club level? Is the hatred as strong in other counties?? In Derry its pretty fierce!

Being from Glen I hate seeing Slaughtneil, Lavey and Screen do well. Always liked Dungiven, Ballinderry and more recently Coleraine.

Thats maybe down to distance though, given that they are far enough away :)

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2013, 09:28:15 PM1993 must have been an awful year in Tyrone.

Try being a 14 year old from Tyrone and going to school in Derry at the time  >:(

1995 was sweet though  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 24, 2013, 02:41:53 PM
What about club level? Is the hatred as strong in other counties?? In Derry its pretty fierce!

Being from Glen I hate seeing Slaughtneil, Lavey and Screen do well. Always liked Dungiven, Ballinderry and more recently Coleraine.

Thats maybe down to distance though, given that they are far enough away :)
I'd say counties with higher levels of club hatred  have fewer intercounty all Irelands.

Feckitt

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 02:30:41 PM
From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british b**tards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

I forgot about Laois.  The 2005 All Ireland Quarter Final is long forgotten because it was such a one sided game.  Basicly Armagh (at their peak) absolutely just stuffed Laois.  It was like boys against men.  At no point in the game was it even close, and Armagh who were famed at that time for hard hitting football never really had to up the ante.

This description of the match and circumstances makes the atmosphere at the game all the more remarkable.  The Laois fans were horrible, bitter, and aggressive.  They were foul mouthed and partitionist.  I've never seen the like of it before or since.

Rudi

Ros man here

Leitrim -Would always wish them well and have huge admiration for them, although they hate us.
Sligo - Wish them well, can be cocky at times. Generally play nice brand of football.
Galway - Can come from no-where to win an All Ireland at any level, wish them well.
Mayo - Would wish them well and generally would shout for them against Galway. Can be bitter as f"ck though.
Westmeath - Have loads of buddies in the county, can't stand them when it comes to footie.
Longford - Strangely have no great love for them, would not wish them bad.
Offaly - Best of all, could not fault the biffos, don't take themselves seriously, very successful none the less.

Outside of that would have good time for Cavan and Donegal.

JP

From Armagh.

Love the days when you beat Tyrone or Down. But at the same time support them outside Ulster. Was delighted for Monaghan winning Ulster this year.

Agree with the other Armagh lads from before. Would hate to see Laois win anything.

AZOffaly

I didn't realise there was such antipathy from Armagh to Laois

muppet

Seeing as I live in Dublin I should point out that, despite the bad press, the vast majority of Dublin supporters are great craic to be around.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

My county: Sligo.

Neighbours:

Mayo - would never cheer for them. Can't stand them. Going round all depressed after winning a minor All-Ireland and losing the senior final narrowly - grow up FFS, ye have it good.

Leitrim - would cheer for them against Mayo only.

Roscommon - would cheer for them against Mayo only. Would prefer them to beat Laythrum if playing them but wouldn't be all that bothered.

Other counties in province:

Galway - would not mind them really. Would cheer for them against a lot of counties.

London - Would cheer for them against everyone bar Sligo and Tyrone.

New York - shouldn't be in it but would cheer for them against everyone but Sligo and Tyrone.