Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

A comment on another thread made me think. Would you support your neighbours/greatest rivals in a game like an All Ireland, or would that be a step too far? In what circumstances would you shout for them?

I know there is a strong Ulster and Connacht tradition of wishing their 'representatives' well, but I get a sense that is diluting a little bit in Ulster's case as they've gotten more successful individually. It's never really been a Leinster thing, although I'd have always shouted for Kilkenny in hurling on the basis that I wanted everyone else to see what we had to deal with. In the football I'm not sure I've ever shouted for a Leinster team just because they are Leinster. I've leant towards Meath in a couple of big games because I admire their tradition and the fact that you used to be able to hit and get hit without a war crimes tribunal being called for.

So, in a Vox Pop, state your county, your rival neighbour(s) and if you would support them in an All Ireland against a county other than your own (or if there are special circumstances)

In a county like Offaly, we have several neighbours and depending on your location within the county you may or may not be that affected by the rivalry. I'm from the West, so our local Football rivals would be Westmeath. I'd never have even considered supporting them in the past, unless a relation was playing, but I think these days I've softened to them and I would wish them well at this stage.

In hurling Galway would be closest to ourselves, and I have no problem shouting for Galway unless they are playing someone with a painful history like Limerick or Waterford.

I know lads in Gracefield that will never shout for Laois, Edenderry for Kildare, Coolderry for Tipp, etc.  What about in yer neck of the woods?

ONeill

Would always want to see Fermanagh win. But if they started winning things, fcuk them.

Armagh and Derry - I'd rather run me balls along a lane of broken glass. Indifferent to Donegal although McGuinness put me off them a bit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GalwayBayBoy

Don't mind our neighbours doing well. I draw the line at Tipp though.

I'm not from any border areas though so rivalries can be a lot more bitter along the county divides.

muppet

County - Mayo.

Nearest rivals - Galway.

Would I support them outside Connacht - Yes.
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

Donegal - Yes
Antrim - Yes
Tyrone - absolutely NOT. Complete lunatics down there (when talking about or participating in football).

Any other Ulster county - Yes

Walter Cronc

Anyone bar Tyrone in any sport!!!

Shamrock Shore

Cavan - all the success in the world
Leitrim - ditto
Roscommon - semi ditto
Westmeath - eh.....no.

Aristo 60

rodney trotter

Would probably support them all at some stage , Longford, Westmeath, Meath, Monaghan, Leitrim, and Fermanagh.

Although Monaghan and Meath to a lesser extent for obvious reasons. I was supporting Monaghan against Tyrone though. And Meath any time they play the Dubs.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 23, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
Cavan - all the success in the world
Leitrim - ditto
Roscommon - semi ditto
Westmeath - eh.....no.

Ditto on all counts.  Except Roscommon - I wish them well until they get the smell of themselves; then they become the Dubs/PRC. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Ohtoohtobe

Kildare. I'd wish Carlow well. Laois, Offaly, Meath, Dublin, Wicklow: no. Just no.

Feckitt

County - Armagh

For much of county Armagh there is no 'real' rivalry with Tyrone.  Our biggest rivals would be Down.  They have more often than not been comical over the last 15 years, but I would have no problem supporting them.  Tyrone on the other hand are hard to like.  I still found myself cheering for Tyrone though against Mayo (RIP).  I would though give more full hearted support to our other neighbours Louth and Monaghan(especially Monaghan)

Rossfan

Ye know my county.
Neighbours - Galway - NO except v Kerry or Dublin
Mayowestros - as per Galway
Sligo - yes except v Laythrum
Laythrum - Yes ( although it is NOT EVER reciprocated)
Longford - Yes - although that "Little Mayo" sh1te they were at last week might make me change
Westmeath - yes except v Sligo/Laythrum or Longford
Offaly - as per Westmeath.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

I don't recognise Kildares right to exist.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bingo

County  - Monaghan

Would have no bother with Cavan or Louth, a few good friends from Cavan and mother from Louth.

Armagh - another story, worked in a hotel down near Keady and it was an eye opener when I was in late teens, early 20's. Mind you keady is an exception, Cross be a different story. What done me for Armagh was when they started winning stuff, the amount of folk round town that suddenly started wearing orange and hanging flags from windows, cars etc was way beyond the pale. They came from everywhere and i actually wondered what county we where in at times.