Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Let me take you on a trip back to summer 1946, when Roscommon where Roscommon where the very-recent back-to-back All-Ireland champions and the undisputed kings of Connacht football.

Playing a team hungering after a ten-year All-Ireland famine (somethings never change, eh?) in the Connacht final, Roscommon win by a score-line of 1-07 to 0-06. All well and good and the natural order for such a match. But Jimmy (Murrary, the immortal Roscommon captain) had scored our goal but took the duty of waving the green flag into into his own hands, obviously inspiring many capers by Cake in the process.

Mayo, being sore losers, objected to this ad-hoc officiating and demanded a replay. A council surely manned by John Prenty's grandfather (just guessing here) agreed and a replay was set for August 11th 1946. Roscommon, as you would expect, won the replay handily, 1-09 to 1-02. But at half-time during the replay the teams did something quite strange:

Let's not forget that the above is the bones of both Roscommon and Mayo's greatest-ever sides. They knew their stuff and they also knew the true values of the GAA.

(Thanks to WJ for the orginal post and the pic)

Feckitt

After my previous post giving out about Laois, to put a positive spin on it, I think the Dubs have really great supporters.  A couple of other posters have already mentioned this.

And apart from my own county, the county that I would love to see win the All Ireland is Monaghan.  There wouln't be a barrel of diesel washed for a month!

JBM on the 21

Kerry
Detest them ever since as a young lad being taken out ever year by the old man to Millstreet train station (last stop in Cork before Kerry)  and listening to Micko plamasing us about Cork being the second best team in Ireland, while the team (the worst for wear on drink after the three hour journey from Dublin) were inside laughing out at us. Never got over it.
Can't forgive them.

Limerick:
Remember the great battles with them in the late 70s and 80s. Was there in 96 when they flaked us around the Pairc and gave me possibly the lowest moment I have ever felt after a match. (That and the 2009 final against Kerry when it was apparent that Cork were not going to win). Though Cork hurling had more or less been finished off for a long time.

Tipp: Nothing but respect. Great craic with their supporters. Hated them in 87 when they finished us off in Munster but in retrospect the best thing that ever happened hurling. They seem to have had a border war with all the counties around them at sometime or other!
Ring was right when he said that the GAA is only half dressed without Tipp. Plus they gave us the character that is Babs!

Waterford:
Always liked them. Have had their share of heartbreak over the years but anytime they play us, it is always a cracking match.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 04:51:17 PM

Playing the All-Ireland-less neighbours (somethings never change, eh?) in the Connacht final,

In 1946??? You might want to check your history there

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2013, 04:15:29 PM
I didn't realise there was such antipathy from Armagh to Laois

I have buddies from Monaghan - even in the 1980s they despised Laois.  I have and they had no idea why. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 04:56:07 PM

Playing the All-Ireland-less neighbours (somethings never change, eh?) in the Connacht final,

Hmm, I meant to say less All-Irelands but my story-telling prowess got ahead of me 8)

Fixed for posterity.

5 Sams

Quote from: Feckitt on September 24, 2013, 04:51:59 PM
After my previous post giving out about Laois, to put a positive spin on it, I think the Dubs have really great supporters.  A couple of other posters have already mentioned this.

And apart from my own county, the county that I would love to see win the All Ireland is Monaghan.  There wouln't be a barrel of diesel washed for a month!

+1 to this apart from the fat bloke sitting beside me in the Cusack. He never shut up with the.."Gerrup outta dat ye bleedin doivin fookin culchie cheat." Etc
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

Quote from: JP on September 24, 2013, 03:50:38 PM
From Armagh.

Love the days when you beat Tyrone or Down. But at the same time support them outside Ulster. Was delighted for Monaghan winning Ulster this year.

Agree with the other Armagh lads from before. Would hate to see Laois win anything.
Not very likely anyway

blanketattack

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on September 24, 2013, 04:52:52 PM
Kerry
Detest them ever since as a young lad being taken out ever year by the old man to Millstreet train station (last stop in Cork before Kerry)  and listening to Micko plamasing us about Cork being the second best team in Ireland, while the team (the worst for wear on drink after the three hour journey from Dublin) were inside laughing out at us. Never got over it.
Can't forgive them.

Are you saying the Kerry train used stop in Millstreet after All-Ireland victories???
That's weird. Did it stop anywhere else? e.g. Mallow?

macdanger2

Kerry
Can't forgive them.

What the feck was your father bringing you out to listen to that for?? Or was he a kerryman himself??

JBM on the 21

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 05:48:03 PM
Kerry
Can't forgive them.

What the feck was your father bringing you out to listen to that for?? Or was he a kerryman himself??

The two sisters had a bit of a gra for Pat Spillane (I am not kidding). They used to force the poor man to take them out every year. I just liked trains at the time!

JBM on the 21

Quote from: blanketattack on September 24, 2013, 05:46:18 PM
Kerry
Can't forgive them.

Are you saying the Kerry train used stop in Millstreet after All-Ireland victories???
That's weird. Did it stop anywhere else? e.g. Mallow?

Yup. Every year. Not too sure if they stopped in Mallow. No idea why they would stop in Millstreet as Rathmore is not that further away.

theticklemister

Ah Walter i love all the clubs in Derry do well.No pun intended. I seriously like to see teams from the city progress, it does your heart good, so much so i have been called a Sean Dolans man on a few occasons by members of my own club.Its a pity we in the GAA are struggling in here, but Steelstown doing well. Burst with pride recently when i seen a few lads in consective days walk around my area of shantallow and pennyburn with hurls pucking about.

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 04:56:07 PM

I think he would need to check out a lot of history. Matches were frequently subject to objections going way back.

Look at the 1925 Championship for example.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

As for non neighbours I would say Armagh Tyrone and Dublin I hate with a passion.
Ignorant shower of supporters as well,some of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.