Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2013, 06:46:31 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2013, 06:36:53 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on September 23, 2013, 05:21:38 PM
Roscommon They've some fierce passionate GAA people and I am married into the community now so they would be my second county - I'd pretty much like to see them beat anyone bar Offaly. However it can be a little grating when they don't appreciate how much of a head start it is to start in Connacht. That provincial title a few years ago had an awful lot of sunshine supporters going on about how great they were, when they beat feck all to win it. Yes they've had some good minor teams too, but it's a big help when you're in a province where quite regularly you've to do feck all, or at most win one game, to reach the last eight.

Every county has sunshine supporters our 2010 title win was the same as Mayo did last year with wins over Sligo,Leitrim however Mayo weren't 4/1 to win the Connacht final and went into that game having been relegated to div 4.

The routes to winning provincial title or last 12 is no different than Cork,Kerry,Galway or Mayo have over the years & in fairness it take a lot more for us to win provincial title than any of those sides. Whatever about senior football underage football in Connacht has been as strong as it has for decades for example no back door in the U21 championship but ourselves and Mayo would have got very close to winning the AI title last April IMO.

As for the minors well we bet the pick of leinster this year lost by 3 to the AI winners Mayo and by two points v Tyrone so a bit more credit to work we have been doing at underage level wouldn't go astray either.

At underage it's been clear for a decade or more that Connacht is one of the most competitive provinces. All three top teams in Connacht harbour genuine AI ambitions most years now and the record of Connacht teams in the AI series speaks for itself.

In truth over the last decade more underage AIs should have been won by Connacht sides. Sligo have been very competitive in Connacht for the last number of years but for the strength of Galway,Mayo and ourselves means they haven't been able to show their true worth. Leitrim struggle for numbers and their results suffer however they had a good U-16 team this year that should provide some hope for them.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Jaysus Dinny harsh. Not sure about Offaly arrogance. Being stuck in a time warp, yes, particularly the county board.  But then may refusing to get into mad debt in tha pursuit of success is actually a noble calling. Still don't see the arrogance though. Always giving ourselves a sneaky chance because deep down we still think we have something in us isn't arrogance I think. Delusional maybe :)

Lone Shark

Roscommon They've some fierce passionate GAA people and I am married into the community now so they would be my second county - I'd pretty much like to see them beat anyone bar Offaly. However it can be a little grating when they don't appreciate how much of a head start it is to start in Connacht. That provincial title a few years ago had an awful lot of sunshine supporters going on about how great they were, when they beat feck all to win it. Yes they've had some good minor teams too, but it's a big help when you're in a province where quite regularly you've to do feck all, or at most win one game, to reach the last eight.

Every county has sunshine supporters our 2010 title win was the same as Mayo did last year with wins over Sligo,Leitrim however Mayo weren't 4/1 to win the Connacht final and went into that game having been relegated to div 4.

The routes to winning provincial title or last 12 is no different than Cork,Kerry,Galway or Mayo have over the years & in fairness it take a lot more for us to win provincial title than any of those sides. Whatever about senior football underage football in Connacht has been as strong as it has for decades for example no back door in the U21 championship but ourselves and Mayo would have got very close to winning the AI title last April IMO.

As for the minors well we bet the pick of leinster this year lost by 3 to the AI winners Mayo and by two points v Tyrone so a bit more credit to work we have been doing at underage level wouldn't go astray either.

At underage it's been clear for a decade or more that Connacht is one of the most competitive provinces. All three top teams in Connacht harbour genuine AI ambitions most years now and the record of Connacht teams in the AI series speaks for itself.

I've no problems giving credit to good teams, or to good players, and Roscommon have had several of those in recent years, certainly including this group, which was a good panel that was very well managed. However it has been frustrating over the last few years to watch some Roscommon teams that player for player, were no better or worse than Offaly sides, have to do feck all to get to the latter stages. Then one good win, and suddenly you're in Croke Park, or you've a provincial title. Usually in Leinster it'll take three good wins over competent opposition to win a title, sometimes more. For example Longford's underage teams have been a match for Roscommon more often than not over the past few seasons, yet they've a lot less silverware to show for it.

Just out of curiosity, why have ye to do more than Galway or Mayo to win the same competition? That makes no sense, I can't get my head around what you're even trying to say there.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 23, 2013, 06:04:31 PM
Offaly: No time for a county that is stuck in a time warp, such arrogance in their supporters beggers belief, they never respect the Kildare's, Westmeath's and Laois's and until they do they will remain a bottom feeder.

I'd be curious to hear what you mean by this too. There would be no arrogance whatsoever about our current teams - our hurlers are not unlike the Kildare footballers, seemingly unable to make a breakthrough, while our footballers have been pure muck, and it'd be a rare GAA head in Offaly who'd say different.

However we're not going to downplay the teams we've had in the past that were talented and successful. We were, and are, very proud of a lot of our heroes gone by. And naturally, respect is something that has to be earned. Teams and players who've won All Irelands have earned a bit more respect than ones who haven't in my eyes, is that not natural? That's not to imply disrespect for others, just an appreciation for sporting achievement.

What exactly defines time warp though?

BennyCake

Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2013, 07:00:10 PM

Nice one lol. But I do wonder why you have a copy in the first place.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2013, 08:03:30 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2013, 07:00:10 PM

Nice one lol. But I do wonder why you have a copy in the first place.

I work in the library, wile pile of books in there.

ross4life

Quote from: Lone Shark on September 23, 2013, 07:44:58 PM

I've no problems giving credit to good teams, or to good players, and Roscommon have had several of those in recent years, certainly including this group, which was a good panel that was very well managed. However it has been frustrating over the last few years to watch some Roscommon teams that player for player, were no better or worse than Offaly sides, have to do feck all to get to the latter stages. Then one good win, and suddenly you're in Croke Park, or you've a provincial title. Usually in Leinster it'll take three good wins over competent opposition to win a title, sometimes more. For example Longford's underage teams have been a match for Roscommon more often than not over the past few seasons, yet they've a lot less silverware to show for it.

Just out of curiosity, why have ye to do more than Galway or Mayo to win the same competition? That makes no sense, I can't get my head around what you're even trying to say there.

We are at much lower base than Galway or Mayo it would be much tougher for them if they were at our level and we were at theirs. For example our odds for senior Connacht championship next year won't be much different than Sligos next year but well behind the top two.

Apart from pre-season games where we play 2nd string sides we haven't faced Longford in any underage championship games recently & i don't know much about quality of Offaly underage players but what i do know is we have been a match for most of best underage sides both as team and player for player.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2013, 08:12:11 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on September 23, 2013, 07:44:58 PM

We are at much lower base than Galway or Mayo it would be much tougher for them if they were at our level and we were at theirs. For example our odds for senior Connacht championship next year won't be much different than Sligos next year but well behind the top two.

Apart from pre-season games where we play 2nd string sides we haven't faced Longford in any underage championship games recently & i don't know much about quality of Offaly underage players but what i do know is we have been a match for most of best underage sides both as team and player for player.

They did beat us in the Fr. Manning Cup final at home last year but that was two days after we played Sligo in the Ted Webb Shield so it was hardly a fair reflection on the two sides.

Longford did well at U21 this year but even then we had Galway dead and buried and they comfortably beat Kildare, the team Longford lost to in the Leinster final. Longford have made progress but in terms of non fat cat counties (in terms of football) making strides at underage Tipp, Cavan and ourselves would be top of the pile with counties like Longford a step behind that pace at the moment.

Underage has become very competitive in the last decade and if anything provides a better spectacle for the sport itself than senior where money starts to warp competitiveness even further.

Premier Emperor

We're the most under siege county in the GAA surrounded by jealousy and bitterness.

Cork - Our biggest rivals but the ones I respect most. Their supporters are knowledgeable and gracious. Always good for a funny comeback.
Klare - Apes. 2 All Irelands in nearly a century and they expect respect from us. They were hateful in 1997 when they beat us.
Laois - Harmless...useless
Kilkenny - Detest them. You'll come across a more miserable bunch of dryshites. They hate admitting how much they fear us.
Waterford - A good few knackers down there, but they never bother us much.
Offaly - Hate the way they suck up to Kilkenny. They've no self respect. Have never beaten us the championship and that annoys them.
Limerick - They are arrogant and see themselves as our equals. They've no understanding of how average they are.
Galway - I don't like them and I've zero respect for them. They can't take their beating. Still crying about Tony Keady getting himself suspended.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2013, 08:26:25 PM

They did beat us in the Fr. Manning Cup final at home last year but that was two days after we played Sligo in the Ted Webb Shield so it was hardly a fair reflection on the two sides.

Longford did well at U21 this year but even then we had Galway dead and buried and they comfortably beat Kildare, the team Longford lost to in the Leinster final. Longford have made progress but in terms of non fat cat counties (in terms of football) making strides at underage Tipp, Cavan and ourselves would be top of the pile with counties like Longford a step behind that pace at the moment.

Underage has become very competitive in the last decade and if anything provides a better spectacle for the sport itself than senior where money starts to warp competitiveness even further.

Our recent under 16 results have me worried that our minors teams will be forced to take a back seat for the next few years.  Ourselves Cavan,Tipp,Longford,Kildare etc are all doing great work at underage level and i think others will also be looking to improve. The competitiveness of the underage competitions is great viewing.

Syferus

The dearth of the talent coming through has been over-egged in my opinion. I saw plenty of the U16 team this year and some of them are already good enough to be minor starters, particular the backs and the Brigids players on the team. We came back from seven down to beat the best Galway side in a 40 minute match and we were gassed against a Mayo EW (the eventual overall Ted Webb winners) team that had glorified kicking practice against Sligo's B team and still were neck-and-neck with five to go and only lost by three in the end. Players continue to be well-coached and for me that is the main thing at a level like U16. Last year's squad won the Ted Webb Shield and got to the Fr. Manning final, hardly a poor season. A good minor coach could easily make us competitive in the years ahead. Don't know much about this Fergie lad, sure we might as well try him?

On topic, Longford insisting on always playing the Manning Cup final in Longford negatively effects relations >:(

Tony Baloney

Wouldn't support Tyrone at any code, age group or competition even at gunpoint.
Apart from that don't mind most other counties. Wouldn't be a lover of Donegal because of the way they speak or Down either because there are a lot of cnuts from there (as well as a lot of nice folks too).

SkillfulBill

From Tyrone

Armagh cider monkeys I have to say I never minded them much supported them in 02 and proved to be a pleasant enough experience. I would love to see them back up to a competitive level again as the rivalry was crucial to driving us on to All-ireland success.

Fermanagh supported them in 04 when they were going well.  I love the way they hate us and posses a massive inferiority complex.

Donegal is a beautiful county and you can't help but like them. Although a few more experiences like Ballybofey this year could change my views on them.

Monaghan are the neighbours you don't want to fallout with as they are likely to be waiting in the lane for you on a Saturday night to give you a right kicking.

Now then the Derry inbreeds I would never ever ever ever support.  I would gouge put my eyes with a hot poker beforeI could brbring myself to cheer them. I would prefer to see England win the next ten worldcups and win all the medals in the next Olympics rather than see the inbreeds win at tiddly winks.

seafoid

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 23, 2013, 09:25:29 PM
From Tyrone

Armagh cider monkeys I have to say I never minded them much supported them in 02 and proved to be a pleasant enough experience. I would love to see them back up to a competitive level again as the rivalry was crucial to driving us on to All-ireland success.

Fermanagh supported them in 04 when they were going well.  I love the way they hate us and posses a massive inferiority complex.

Donegal is a beautiful county and you can't help but like them. Although a few more experiences like Ballybofey this year could change my views on them.

Monaghan are the neighbours you don't want to fallout with as they are likely to be waiting in the lane for you on a Saturday night to give you a right kicking.

Now then the Derry inbreeds I would never ever ever ever support.  I would gouge put my eyes with a hot poker beforeI could brbring myself to cheer them. I would prefer to see England win the next ten worldcups and win all the medals in the next Olympics rather than see the inbreeds win at tiddly winks.
1993 must have been an awful year in Tyrone.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2013, 09:28:15 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 23, 2013, 09:25:29 PM
From Tyrone

1993 must have been an awful year in Tyrone.

The famine years of the 1800s were more pleasurable and the 1995 ulster semi final win was as pleasing as the three All-Ireland wins