Connacht senior,intermediate,junior club football championships 2013

Started by ross4life, September 10, 2013, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2013, 08:11:46 PM
One of the most entertaining games I've seen at this level. Fair play to both sets of players and their supporters.

The less said about the ref the better. But neither team let him affect them. We were down and out, dragged ourselves back, Brigits responded like true champions and pushed on again. And we dug in again, even after losing Barry. Kirby really stood up at that stage.

In extra time the youth of Mitchels won out against Brigits players with a lot of football played.

Great night to be in Castlebar!

I think it wasn't as much the age profile of the teams (in the like os Ronan Stack, Adrian Gleeson, Paraig Kelly, Johnny Murray they had more than a few young legs, nevermind only a few members of the Brigids team are pushing 30) and more the fact after Dollars got the line Brigids were down Ian K and Dollars, both key link-men in Brigids' system. Chasing a game in ET with a man down is nearly impossible. The sort of leaden-legged lateral passing Brigids engaged in half of the second ET was the antithesis of everything Brigids are about.

Mitchels obviously lost big Barry for half of the second period but ironically they played their best football with Moran on the sideline. An inability to guard the stand flank in either second halves defined the game, besides that area Brigids were stuffing pretty much everything Mitchels tried.

I would have loved to see this game played unspoiled by Marty, it had everything you'd want from a game of football.

OH, and Frankie for Connacht PotY, anything less would be robbery.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mano on November 24, 2013, 09:51:19 PM
Just saw to Barry Moran red card and ref got that decision correct - brutal tackle

Yeah, He went for the hit and boy did he hit! Frankie did a similar foul unnoticed!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2013, 10:12:26 PM
Just saw to Barry Moran red card and ref got that decision correct - brutal tackle

Yeah, He went for the hit and boy did he hit! Frankie did a similar foul unnoticed!

A lot of what happened to Frankie went unnoticed by the beard to be feared.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

imtommygunn

Why does that ref keep getting big games? He's brutal -every time.

Good game of football. Thought st brigids would win out but castlebar very good in et.

Bojangles

Have to say Frankie's point from ~50 yds out straight in front of goal with players closing and no sidestep was pure class. This was when the game was in the pot with a few minutes to go. That type of quality is so rare, privilege to have seen you play the game boy. Other than that agree Duffy had a really poor reffing display, not good enough when two good teams are committing everything to the fray. Brigids the better side in normal time but good luck to Castlebar from here on.

Rossie11

It was right in front of me and its looks bad but I honestly thought it was a harsh red. It was a real hospital pass to Mannion and Moran was committed to the hit.

There was another incident in a similar position where Kelly was hit with a high shoulder and landed outside the sideline.
Should have been a free to Bridgets but he gave a line ball the other way. As it happened the ball was turned over and Blaine got the goal.
If Duffy had given the correct decision Mitchells would have funneled players back and Bridgets wouldn't have scored the goal.
It was one of about 6 decisions which were crucial to the outcome. All in all he was brutal bad to both sides.

Fair play to Mitchells, having to go away to Corofin and Bridgets and win both were 2 massive performances.
Hope they have another 2 in them.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: larryin89 on November 24, 2013, 03:27:44 PM
"Anyone that thinks Cake is an arse is an arse themselves. The whole Curran family are characters but anyone that knows them could tell you how wrong the po-faced brigade are. Some people just want the world to be varying shades of gray or they're not happy."

A wan k. Er of the highest order, a horrible dirty ugly little fuckin Roscommon ****.

Larry you're an absolute disgrace to Mayo. Do you know anything about Curran other than see him play football?
I doubt it, the man is a gent

Well done to Mitchells
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

There is no call for that play acting crack he be's at. Been at it for a long time. "Character" does not excuse it.

Jinxy

Is he alright?
I've never seen a man lose the use of his legs like that before.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lone Shark

As a footballer, the Cake is something of a lúdramán, but he does brighten up games. Yes he acts the maggot, but it's not exactly harmful stuff and gaelic football is a better place for his involvement as far as I'm concerned. In person, having met him a few times, he's also a messer but still an absolutely decent skin.

I was in the Hyde yesterday and it was a joy to watch as a game of football - but as far as I can make out, Brigids won a Connacht title that they didn't really deserve in 2011 when they got a real homer of a refereeing performance in Kiltoom. They gave that back yesterday, Marty Duffy was awful and all the big calls went Castlebar's way. Moran's sending off, Blaine's sending off and the C'Bar penalty were all bang on as far as I can see. However Brigids should also have had a penalty at the end for the blatant push, the reversing of a line ball was incorrect and then to let Castlebar take it quickly was downright unfair, the two "drawmaker" frees, the first of which was missed, were just that, and the sending off of Darragh Donnelly left Brigids hugely handicapped for no reason.

Every Brigids supporter I'd know - which is a lot of them - would support Castlebar wholeheartedly from now on as the Mitchels just played a good, hard, honest game of ball. However there would be no such goodwill towards Duffy, who spoiled that match.

whitey

Moran sending off was a yellow card at worse. (It was just like the Dublin challenge on the Mayo guy in the AIF which also got a yellow)

Re the penalty: when you spend the entire afternoon diving on the ground clutching your face looking for frees/get your man sent off, don't expect to get a chalk line call when the game is in the pot

Soft frees: just from what I saw on TV, Brigids got 2/3 very soft frees in the first half, all within scoring range

Brigids second point-into the Graveyard end-looked very borderline, maybe even wide.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 25, 2013, 01:35:52 PM
Moran sending off was a yellow card at worse. (It was just like the Dublin challenge on the Mayo guy in the AIF which also got a yellow)

Re the penalty: when you spend the entire afternoon diving on the ground clutching your face looking for frees/get your man sent off, don't expect to get a chalk line call when the game is in the pot

Soft frees: just from what I saw on TV, Brigids got 2/3 very soft frees in the first half, all within scoring range

Brigids second point-into the Graveyard end-looked very borderline, maybe even wide.

I think Duffy got fed up with the theatrics and the constant pressure put on him by a couple of Brigid's players.

Looking at the replay I think Duffy was within his rights to send off Barry but he missed Frankie Dolan doing a similar effort on Alan Feeney. Dolan's tackle was actually worse as he jumped when leading with the shoulder, so both feet were off the ground.

The Donnelly sending off was ridiculous but I think he was just sick of Cake and Frankie.

It is a pity though to be talking about the ref after such a memorable contest was served up by the players.

Also, Senan Kilbride in full flow is a sight to behold. When he was getting good ball early on, he was unmarkable. And I don't recall him trying to get players booked or sent off. He plays the game the right way.

MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Kilbride is quality. Even Cunniffe who is a quality defender struggled with him and got caught out by his dummies a few times.

Richie Feeney's fitness levels, presumably from Mayo training all year, looked to be on a different level to anyone else yesterday. He got cramp towards the end but he was moving a lot better than anyone on the pitch for most of extra time.