Connacht senior,intermediate,junior club football championships 2013

Started by ross4life, September 10, 2013, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2013, 05:00:42 PM

Would it not be good for Roscommon football if a new team emerges next year? Brigids are a quality side, but having the same team dominate the Club scene in  the County every year can't be good. Although I'm sure that's easier said then done.

Of course it would be. To have a few sides capable of winning Connacht can only be good news for the county team but saying that other than Corofin,Castlebar how many Mayo,Galway clubs are currently capable of winning a senior provincial title?. Brigids dominance was built on their U21 success though over the last four years the like of Strokestown,Padraig Pearses and Roscommon Gaels are now better than them at that level which in theory should make our county senior championship very competitive in the years ahead.

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 25, 2013, 07:44:02 PM
I wouldn't go equating Corofin or Brigids with clubs like Nemo or Cross just yet, in fairness. There are a handful of clubs in the country that have produced consistently successful  teams across a sustained period of time, and by that I mean successful in an All Ireland context. You have Nemo, Cross, and then Ballyhale, Birr and Athenry in hurling - Corofin or Brigids have a lot to do yet to move into that bracket.

Corofin,St Brigids have yet to match Clan Na Gaels dominance of Connacht but both have won All Ireland and that will hardly bother them. In Brigids case they have stood toe to toe with Crossmaglen arguably the best club side of all time on three occasions and regardless of what happens they have proven themselves to be excellent team.

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2013, 06:40:44 PM
So Crokes are the only team left from last years provincial winners, Brigid's are an excellent team but they can't make the step up to greatness just yet.  Back to back is exceptionally hard to do and I am sure that they would have liked to have left that mark on the championship.  Alas they didn't and I don't think they will win it again, the AI that is, as I think that as Frankie starts slipping off into the night they will find it extremely hard tor replace him..

I remember when Brigids were beaten by their neighbours Garrycastle many including some Brigids hardcore fans said their chance of winning All Ireland had sailed past yet they re grouped and won it the following year. How Brigids replace their key will be very important but life let in the old dogs yet.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on November 25, 2013, 08:18:23 PM

Would it not be good for Roscommon football if a new team emerges next year? Brigids are a quality side, but having the same team dominate the Club scene in  the County every year can't be good. Although I'm sure that's easier said then done.

Of course it would be.

Indeed it would.
Their neighbours and friends ::) Clan could have bet them this year and I'm sure will give it a right oul rattle next year.
As for Senan K - I never really rated him too high as a County player.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 25, 2013, 10:32:18 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 25, 2013, 08:18:23 PM

Of course it would be.

Indeed it would.
Their neighbours and friends ::) Clan could have bet them this year and I'm sure will give it a right oul rattle next year.
As for Senan K - I never really rated him too high as a County player.

That's probably a good sign, though.

Jinxy

Quote from: neilthemac on November 25, 2013, 05:58:34 PM
He's 42 lads. Lighten up on poor Cake.
Doesn't owe anything to anyone.
How many around here will be playing senior club football at that age??
or doing anything sporting wise, for that matter.

I'm certainly not having a go at him.
I just wondered was he alright.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Cake Curran to call time?

"Coming from a player, or likely ex-player," he said in the Irish Daily Star.

"Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and unfortunately we were beaten. I thought we defended our title with honour and with pride, and we held ourselves in high esteem as losers, I think that's very important.

"I want to congratulate Castlebar Mitchels on a wonderful victory in a wonderful game. That's what makes the GAA the organisation it is."

He hinted he wanted to go into management not so long ago i wonder who would be brave enough to take him on.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on November 26, 2013, 06:35:12 PM

"Coming from a player, or likely ex-player," he said in the Irish Daily Star.

"Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and unfortunately we were beaten. I thought we defended our title with honour and with pride, and we held ourselves in high esteem as losers, I think that's very important.

"I want to congratulate Castlebar Mitchels on a wonderful victory in a wonderful game. That's what makes the GAA the organisation it is."

He hinted he wanted to go into management not so long ago i wonder who would be brave enough to take him on.

The homestead in Caisleán Riabhach may be available for the Cake.

Do think if he's fit and still has the appetite (and he certainly looks like he has) that Cake should go another year, Mango Óg is still a minor next year.

Rudi

[
"I He hinted he wanted to go into management not so long ago i wonder who would be brave enough to take him on.

Wimbledon or Sultans of Ping FC ;D

Rossfan

"I want to congratulate Castlebar Mitchels on a wonderful victory in a wonderful game. That's what makes the GAA the organisation it is."[/i]

Castlebar winning games makes the GAA???
Who wrote that - Prenty or Duffy??

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on November 25, 2013, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on November 25, 2013, 05:58:34 PM
He's 42 lads. Lighten up on poor Cake.
Doesn't owe anything to anyone.
How many around here will be playing senior club football at that age??
or doing anything sporting wise, for that matter.

I'm certainly not having a go at him.
I just wondered was he alright.

Cake may be a character/header on the pitch but off it he is a lovely fella. Has a successful business that means he travels a lot and a young enough family.

The comments he has on Castlebar there are more in keeping with his off-field persona.

Very likeable fella
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

maigheo

potential Big shock in Munster final.Crattoe level with Crokes with 6 min to go.The Gooch sent off on 2 yellows.  Ft Crokes 0.13 crattoe 0.12

Syferus

Rossfan

rodney trotter

St Brigid's Frankie Dolan, who kicked the winning point in All-Ireland final, could face a 48-week ban writes @depboyle in tomorrow's Indo

ross4life

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 04, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
St Brigid’s Frankie Dolan, who kicked the winning point in All-Ireland final, could face a 48-week ban writes @depboyle in tomorrow’s Indo

Feck me did he deck Duffy after the game? if banned for that length of time Frankie may call time on his career.

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on December 04, 2013, 11:10:09 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 04, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
St Brigid's Frankie Dolan, who kicked the winning point in All-Ireland final, could face a 48-week ban writes @depboyle in tomorrow's Indo

Feck me did he deck Duffy after the game? if banned for that length of time Frankie may call time on his career.

What the holy f**k?

Marty Duffy you absolute tool.