Tyrone 2014

Started by ONeill, August 27, 2013, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Where did that 2004 team go? Did the likes of Boggs, Murray, Mulgrew not make the level of progress expected? I think Cunningham was the captain of that side.  The 2008 team could go the same way. McKenna, Gervin, Teague are three lads that I thought stood out along with with Coney and Harte.  Where have these fella's gone?

Derry haven't set the world alight at minor level since we got to the final in 2007, but the likes of Kielt, McKaigue, O'Boyle, Mullan, McWilliams, Moore. Have all made appearances at senior level in the last couple of years.
Ulster League Champions 2009

LeoMc

Quote from: Estimator on August 28, 2013, 12:49:31 PM
Where did that 2004 team go? Did the likes of Boggs, Murray, Mulgrew not make the level of progress expected? I think Cunningham was the captain of that side.  The 2008 team could go the same way. McKenna, Gervin, Teague are three lads that I thought stood out along with with Coney and Harte.  Where have these fella's gone?

Derry haven't set the world alight at minor level since we got to the final in 2007, but the likes of Kielt, McKaigue, O'Boyle, Mullan, McWilliams, Moore. Have all made appearances at senior level in the last couple of years.

We didn't do too badly out of the 2008 team, Harte, Donnelly, McNabb, Coney & McKenna (for a while).

EC Unique

The Derry lads did not have as strong a senior panel to break into..

LeoMc

Quote from: barelegs on August 28, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 28, 2013, 12:05:09 AM
I just can't get my head around the continued belief that Coney and O'Neill are the answer!! Neither lad has played a full season of senior football. For me Mc Aliskey is a superb talent and was poorly treated by Harte this year, beginning in the Donegal game.

The elephant in the room has been the lack of success at U21 level. Cork, Dublin and Donegal have shown it as a great springboard for senior success!! I couldn't believe it when I heard Colm Cavanagh is the only player from the 2004 minor winning side playing senior football. Mc Carron was a sub that day!

Aidan Cassidy was on that team as well. That team came along at a bad time. Most of the lads never really got a chance at it because the players were already in place. Some of them were good enough footballers just probably hadn't the pace for senior inter county football. I'd still be of the opinion that Shane O'Hagan would be worth go for Tyrone around the middle. Always reminded me a bit of Hub

Was McGinley not a half back in the 2004 team?

bluenosebandit

Quote from: LeoMc on August 28, 2013, 12:57:31 PM
Quote from: barelegs on August 28, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 28, 2013, 12:05:09 AM
I just can't get my head around the continued belief that Coney and O'Neill are the answer!! Neither lad has played a full season of senior football. For me Mc Aliskey is a superb talent and was poorly treated by Harte this year, beginning in the Donegal game.

The elephant in the room has been the lack of success at U21 level. Cork, Dublin and Donegal have shown it as a great springboard for senior success!! I couldn't believe it when I heard Colm Cavanagh is the only player from the 2004 minor winning side playing senior football. Mc Carron was a sub that day!

Aidan Cassidy was on that team as well. That team came along at a bad time. Most of the lads never really got a chance at it because the players were already in place. Some of them were good enough footballers just probably hadn't the pace for senior inter county football. I'd still be of the opinion that Shane O'Hagan would be worth go for Tyrone around the middle. Always reminded me a bit of Hub

Was McGinley not a half back in the 2004 team?

No the half backs on that team were John Gimlore and Martin Murray from Cookstown

Fuzzman

I see the Belfast Tele are saying big Sean might not come back next year.

and Packie

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 28, 2013, 02:12:22 PM

Da fĂșck. He should ask SON what happens when you try to retire from Tyrone early.

That'd rightly screw Tyrone the years ahead if true but it looks very much like the paper is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Doesn't read like he's 'close' to anything.

Count 10

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 28, 2013, 02:12:22 PM

and Packie

Sean a bigger media whore than Brolly ;)

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: LeoMc on August 28, 2013, 12:53:52 PM

We didn't do too badly out of the 2008 team, Harte, Donnelly, McNabb, Coney & McKenna (for a while).

IMO McKenna was a serious midfield prospect - if he had of been handled right. Great hands and a ridiculous leap on him (50 times the footballer of colm cavanagh)

trileacman

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on August 28, 2013, 11:46:42 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 28, 2013, 12:53:52 PM

IMO McKenna was a serious midfield prospect - if he had of been handled right. Great hands and a ridiculous leap on him (50 times the footballer of colm cavanagh)

What is he? An egg? How does he need to be handled?

He was given opportunities with Tyrone, did very little with them. He was let go to develop his game on his own with no pressure from the outside. He hasn't been banished to Rockall or anything.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2013, 11:57:02 PM
1 - Can't agree with that at all. Firstly, Edendork comes first and secondly perhaps it's his outfield play that makes him the skilled keeper he is.

2. McNabb, Sludden. McCarron actually played well on Sunday, nicking the ball from his opponent by just getting a glove on it as it came in. Was impressed by his development this year.

3. Clarke could play FF. Wouldnt surprised me. The goal chance he created v Monaghan was something we've missed.

5. Colm - worked hard but some things you cannot change. He was responsible for that penalty in my book. He took Joe McMahon out just as Joe was about to stop the Mayo man in possession way out, through clumsiness. A fit Cassidy for me. What's up with Niall McKenna?

1- Still disagree, would Packie be a better player if he was thrown out at MF for Newtown? Does Diarmurd Murphy/ Cluxton play outfield for the club side? I'm not saying he/Edendork should be told or forced to play him in nets, I just think Tyrone would be best served if he did. It's not like he's gonna forget how to handle a football just because he's playing between the sticks for Edendork.

2- Dunno what you mean by McNabb/ Sludden. I don't think McCarron is going to be our next All-Star corner-back in the way Gormley was. He has improved yes but he doesn't dominate poor corner-forwards in the way Gormley/Marc O'Se used to. Conor used to take a shite CF to the cleaners, it was wee beans to him. McCarron has improved but doesn't look like emulating the vital task Block done for us.

3- We need a settled full-back. If you look at Ireland's top exponents of this skill - McGee, Cafferkey - Clarke is the most similar in size, demeanour and skill-set.

5- Coli Holmes was as clumsy a footballer as has donned a shirt in Harte's era but he was a really important player for us. Hub couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo but was also a good midfielder. I think Colm's reputation suffers from a long and protracted development when he was given more chances than he deserved. That said I think he now is deserving of his place in the side.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

There's an element of Tyrone fans determined to put the boot in Colm Cavanagh no matter what. He has proved over the last 3 games that he is worth his place on the team. The Irish News had him joint top rating for a Tyrone player on Sunday which was fully deserved - he never gave up throughout and got through a lot of work. For a player that's supposed to be a poor club player etc he hasn't been shown up against Meath, Monaghan or Mayo who all have top intercounty midfields.

He certainly isn't the best player around but the work he puts in ensures he's worth his place on the team. A lot of the other players being mentioned don't work half as hard as him on the pitch. It's very easy to throw names out when the reality is the players have had chances and not taken them. Cassidy's impact has become much less in the last few games. Also I've pointed before the work coming from him is normally on the attacking foot and Harte wanted a defensive midfielder in beside Sean.

supersarsfields

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2013, 12:21:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2013, 11:57:02 PM
1 - Can't agree with that at all. Firstly, Edendork comes first and secondly perhaps it's his outfield play that makes him the skilled keeper he is.

2. McNabb, Sludden. McCarron actually played well on Sunday, nicking the ball from his opponent by just getting a glove on it as it came in. Was impressed by his development this year.

3. Clarke could play FF. Wouldnt surprised me. The goal chance he created v Monaghan was something we've missed.

5. Colm - worked hard but some things you cannot change. He was responsible for that penalty in my book. He took Joe McMahon out just as Joe was about to stop the Mayo man in possession way out, through clumsiness. A fit Cassidy for me. What's up with Niall McKenna?

1- Still disagree, would Packie be a better player if he was thrown out at MF for Newtown? Does Diarmurd Murphy/ Cluxton play outfield for the club side? I'm not saying he/Edendork should be told or forced to play him in nets, I just think Tyrone would be best served if he did. It's not like he's gonna forget how to handle a football just because he's playing between the sticks for Edendork.

2- Dunno what you mean by McNabb/ Sludden. I don't think McCarron is going to be our next All-Star corner-back in the way Gormley was. He has improved yes but he doesn't dominate poor corner-forwards in the way Gormley/Marc O'Se used to. Conor used to take a shite CF to the cleaners, it was wee beans to him. McCarron has improved but doesn't look like emulating the vital task Block done for us.

3- We need a settled full-back. If you look at Ireland's top exponents of this skill - McGee, Cafferkey - Clarke is the most similar in size, demeanour and skill-set.

5- Coli Holmes was as clumsy a footballer as has donned a shirt in Harte's era but he was a really important player for us. Hub couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo but was also a good midfielder. I think Colm's reputation suffers from a long and protracted development when he was given more chances than he deserved. That said I think he now is deserving of his place in the side.

Finbar used to play outfield for Newtown at times, while still playing Keeper for Tyrone.

Wee Roddy

I wouldn't pay much heed to what rating the Irish News gave him. Its completely open to the interpretation of the journalists doing them, in fact very little to them in any paper. With all the televised games are you actually sure they are at the matches at all. For example, and im using this because he is my own clubman, Gormley constantly got 6 to 6.5 in the IN ratings yet was getting 8s in the daily star and was being talked up on radio shows like News Talk all year. Do players lose marks because of fouling, being booked, kicking wides etc.
The Donegal players against Mayo got very similar rating to the Tyrone players.
But back to the point...Colm Cavanagh has been excellent in the past 2 games, in fact has been Tyrone most improved player all year.

God14

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 29, 2013, 08:23:11 AM
There's an element of Tyrone fans determined to put the boot in Colm Cavanagh no matter what. He has proved over the last 3 games that he is worth his place on the team. The Irish News had him joint top rating for a Tyrone player on Sunday which was fully deserved - he never gave up throughout and got through a lot of work. For a player that's supposed to be a poor club player etc he hasn't been shown up against Meath, Monaghan or Mayo who all have top intercounty midfields.

He certainly isn't the best player around but the work he puts in ensures he's worth his place on the team. A lot of the other players being mentioned don't work half as hard as him on the pitch. It's very easy to throw names out when the reality is the players have had chances and not taken them. Cassidy's impact has become much less in the last few games. Also I've pointed before the work coming from him is normally on the attacking foot and Harte wanted a defensive midfielder in beside Sean.

+1

I don't really have the energy or enthusiasm just yet to debate at length Tyrones prospects & outlook for 2014. Its too soon after a painful defeat. But it grates on me how many 'supporters' put the boot into Colm. I thought he had a good season & was well worth the No.8 jersey.

For now we have the minors to look forward to on Sunday & the club championship's to enjoy.