Tyrone 2014

Started by ONeill, August 27, 2013, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2013, 12:21:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2013, 11:57:02 PM
1 - Can't agree with that at all. Firstly, Edendork comes first and secondly perhaps it's his outfield play that makes him the skilled keeper he is.

2. McNabb, Sludden. McCarron actually played well on Sunday, nicking the ball from his opponent by just getting a glove on it as it came in. Was impressed by his development this year.

3. Clarke could play FF. Wouldnt surprised me. The goal chance he created v Monaghan was something we've missed.

5. Colm - worked hard but some things you cannot change. He was responsible for that penalty in my book. He took Joe McMahon out just as Joe was about to stop the Mayo man in possession way out, through clumsiness. A fit Cassidy for me. What's up with Niall McKenna?

1- Still disagree, would Packie be a better player if he was thrown out at MF for Newtown? Does Diarmurd Murphy/ Cluxton play outfield for the club side? I'm not saying he/Edendork should be told or forced to play him in nets, I just think Tyrone would be best served if he did. It's not like he's gonna forget how to handle a football just because he's playing between the sticks for Edendork.

2- Dunno what you mean by McNabb/ Sludden. I don't think McCarron is going to be our next All-Star corner-back in the way Gormley was. He has improved yes but he doesn't dominate poor corner-forwards in the way Gormley/Marc O'Se used to. Conor used to take a shite CF to the cleaners, it was wee beans to him. McCarron has improved but doesn't look like emulating the vital task Block done for us.

3- We need a settled full-back. If you look at Ireland's top exponents of this skill - McGee, Cafferkey - Clarke is the most similar in size, demeanour and skill-set.

5- Coli Holmes was as clumsy a footballer as has donned a shirt in Harte's era but he was a really important player for us. Hub couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo but was also a good midfielder. I think Colm's reputation suffers from a long and protracted development when he was given more chances than he deserved. That said I think he now is deserving of his place in the side.

Edendork already have a really good goalkeeper apart from Morgan.
McReynolds was/is the tyrone U21 keeper. why would should edendork play morgan in nets if he is of more us to them out the field?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

Disagree with the Colm bashers. He was one of our better players in the championship. The lad can't win in some people's eyes.  He never will be a standout point scoring high fielder, he is in there to graft and has done this eith aplomb this year.

stibhan

Justin & Joe McMahon are key for Tyrone now, along with both Donnellys, Harte and Clarke.

If Cavanagh takes a sabbatical during the league and returns for Championship it might be a good thing - ultimately he has had an unbelievable season but he can finish his days in Full Forward as the big ball winner that Tyrone lack. The team needs to relieve itself of their reliance upon him.

Harte's emphasis, even when he had McMenamin and Gormley, was on a system defence rather than relying on individuals. It tended to be that attackers getting injured really screwed Tyrone in the years they fell short, even in 2004 when their best defender was tragically taken away from them.

On Sunday it was a lack of a ball winning forward that put the defence under serious pressure, not necessarily the defence itself. The amount of ball that went into Mayo in the second half compared with the first was a key factor - any defence will break under those numbers. I'm actually surprised that Harte arguably made so many positive substitutions - Cassidy, Coney and O'Neill coming on - although with injuries his hands may have been tied. I would have thought that his instincts would have been to pack the defence from the start of the Second Half onwards.

LeoMc

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 28, 2013, 01:47:42 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 28, 2013, 12:57:31 PM
Quote from: barelegs on August 28, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 28, 2013, 12:05:09 AM
I just can't get my head around the continued belief that Coney and O'Neill are the answer!! Neither lad has played a full season of senior football. For me Mc Aliskey is a superb talent and was poorly treated by Harte this year, beginning in the Donegal game.

The elephant in the room has been the lack of success at U21 level. Cork, Dublin and Donegal have shown it as a great springboard for senior success!! I couldn't believe it when I heard Colm Cavanagh is the only player from the 2004 minor winning side playing senior football. Mc Carron was a sub that day!

Aidan Cassidy was on that team as well. That team came along at a bad time. Most of the lads never really got a chance at it because the players were already in place. Some of them were good enough footballers just probably hadn't the pace for senior inter county football. I'd still be of the opinion that Shane O'Hagan would be worth go for Tyrone around the middle. Always reminded me a bit of Hub

Was McGinley not a half back in the 2004 team?

No the half backs on that team were John Gimlore and Martin Murray from Cookstown

You are right, my mind is playing tricks on me. It must have been the u-21's 3 years later.
http://www.gaelicart.com/item/Tyrone__All-Ireland_Minor_Football_Champions_2004/8/170/8323/
http://www.tyronegaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Secretarys-Report.pdf

There were a few other lads did play Senior football at different times from that team, Mulgrew, Quinn, Devlin, Boggs & Curran as well as Dean O'Neill who played with London.

EC Unique

Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 29, 2013, 08:37:19 AM
I wouldn't pay much heed to what rating the Irish News gave him. Its completely open to the interpretation of the journalists doing them, in fact very little to them in any paper. With all the televised games are you actually sure they are at the matches at all. For example, and im using this because he is my own clubman, Gormley constantly got 6 to 6.5 in the IN ratings yet was getting 8s in the daily star and was being talked up on radio shows like News Talk all year. Do players lose marks because of fouling, being booked, kicking wides etc.
The Donegal players against Mayo got very similar rating to the Tyrone players.
But back to the point...Colm Cavanagh has been excellent in the past 2 games, in fact has been Tyrone most improved player all year.

I think Gormley had one of his best years for Tyrone and if they are to make more progress next year he will be needed..

trileacman

The real thing we need to be discussing is the rule changes that are coming in. Football will be hugely changed next year and it will be all about strong direct running, in the knowledge that if you're fouled it will be a straight sub for one of the oppositions starting team.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

orangeman

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2013, 01:29:37 PM
The real thing we need to be discussing is the rule changes that are coming in. Football will be hugely changed next year and it will be all about strong direct running, in the knowledge that if you're fouled it will be a straight sub for one of the oppositions starting team.

Time will tell if that happens or not.

EC Unique

Quote from: orangeman on August 29, 2013, 01:57:43 PM

If it does it should benefit Tyrone I think.

trileacman

Quote from: EC Unique on August 29, 2013, 02:44:28 PM

I don't think so, Dublin will be huge benefactors.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

EC Unique

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2013, 05:11:56 PM

I don't think so, Dublin will be huge benefactors.

Tyrone have several players who are great runners with the ball and if they can go without being fouled then this will help create more scores and especially goals..

Tubberman

Not based on last Sunday! Newstalk had a referree analyse the match based on next year's rules, and he came to the conclusion that 4 Tyrone players would have received black cards, against 1 player for Mayo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

EC Unique

Quote from: Tubberman on August 29, 2013, 05:29:26 PM

Not based on last Sunday! Newstalk had a referree analyse the match based on next year's rules, and he came to the conclusion that 4 Tyrone players would have received black cards, against 1 player for Mayo.

That would be fine except there was no black card rule last Sunday. Players will adapt.

sam03/05

some Players who I would like to see brought in, who have impressed me this year in club football.

Tommy Canavan (Errigal)
Ray Mulgrew (Cookstown)
Michael Cassidy (Ardboe)
Niall Sludden (Dromore) bad injury
Eoin McCusker (Dromore) - for me the best Forward in the county.
Richie Donnelly (Trillick)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trileacman on August 29, 2013, 05:11:56 PM

I don't think so, Dublin will be huge benefactors beneficiaries.

Tut, tut, the Dubs would give no one anything! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

God14

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 29, 2013, 07:20:39 PM
some Players who I would like to see brought in, who have impressed me this year in club football.

Tommy Canavan (Errigal)
Ray Mulgrew (Cookstown)
Michael Cassidy (Ardboe)
Niall Sludden (Dromore) bad injury
Eoin McCusker (Dromore) - for me the best Forward in the county.
Richie Donnelly (Trillick)

Yip, strongly agree with all those listed. These lads need to be given a chance to impress. Would also add Conan Grugan (on last years championship form) to that list. Trained with the squad all year, didn't get a single minute. Michael Cassidy maybe a year too soon, but good shout at the same time.