2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2013, 01:06:47 AM
Quote from: heffo on September 27, 2013, 05:31:33 PM
Jesus I go away for a few days and there must be ten threads about Dublin!

Hard luck Mayo, I think you're just short a bit of variety in attack and although Mayo fans don't seem to like it, a big scoring forward that'll do it on the big day - O'Connor may yet turn into that player.

Awful game, but we've had enough moral victories over the years.

To be fair O'Connor, Moran, Dillon and (incredibly bad luck on the weekend) Freeman were not fully fit. I know Dublin can point reasonably to Alan Brogan but you have cover for him, we had 4 starting forwards who were not right and we needed them all flying. Donegal last year had a smooth run with no major injury concerns, which is even more amazing when you consider how combative the Ulster Championship is. We needed a run like that.

In fairness would a fully fit Andy Moran score more than he did on Sunday? its the third final in a row that Dillon hasn't scored in and fully fit O'Connor managed less scores in last years final.

Mayo needed a better second half and a few points from play would have been enough to win the All Ireland.

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 28, 2013, 01:28:01 AM

Hard luck Mayo, I think you're just short a bit of variety in attack and although Mayo fans don't seem to like it, a big scoring forward that'll do it on the big day - O'Connor may yet turn into that player.

To be fair O'Connor, Moran, Dillon and (incredibly bad luck on the weekend) Freeman were not fully fit. I know Dublin can point reasonably to Alan Brogan but you have cover for him, we had 4 starting forwards who were not right and we needed them all flying. Donegal last year had a smooth run with no major injury concerns, which is even more amazing when you consider how combative the Ulster Championship is. We needed a run like that.

In fairness would a fully fit Andy Moran score more than he did on Sunday? its the third final in a row that Dillon hasn't scored in and fully fit O'Connor managed less scores in last years final.

Mayo needed a better second half and a few points from play would have been enough to win the All Ireland.

Would 4 fully fit forwards not have made this slightly more likely than 4 unfit forwards?

5 of Dublin's starting 6 forwards only scored 3 points between them. In isolation, stats don't really tell much of a story.

MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Dillon has never turned up for final , he's aswell hit the road, it is time people  stopped making excuses for lads who can't hack the big day. Time to bring in a couple of fresh faces but somehow I think the bull thick Ballimtubber buck Horan  will persist with the same nine or so forwards he's always stuck with.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2013, 01:38:07 AM

Would 4 fully fit forwards not have made this slightly more likely than 4 unfit forwards?

5 of Dublin's starting 6 forwards only scored 3 points between them. In isolation, stats don't really tell much of a story.

Eoghan O'Gara who is unlikely to ever win all-star managed two points from play Mayos last point from play was in the 26 minute, thats a few stats that tells a story.

rrhf

The Science has proven that excitement and Elation levels are the same per first time winner and repeat winner. The first time winner however doesn't celebrate with the same rationality and is typically refusing to milk cows for a week and setting bonfires etc in their gardens and fields etc. in other words the science says that the new winner reacts unconventionally to the win. 

Cold tea

Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2013, 12:08:17 AM
Quote from: Cold tea on September 28, 2013, 12:04:36 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2013, 11:34:42 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on September 27, 2013, 06:44:40 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 27, 2013, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on September 27, 2013, 05:53:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2013, 04:28:14 PM

Ok, I will. Who should I tell? Osin? Jamser Clarke? BC1?

Winning repeatedly cheapens the magic of each individual title no matter the county or club. At that point it becomes about legacy as much as the singular moment of winning.

That's bullshit.
So, do Kerry people cherish the memories of their 2004 All-Ireland title in the same way that Armagh people cherish the memories of 2002?

I am not from Kerry but I am sure they cherished it as much.  This bullshit that constant winning cheapens the magic is usually thrown about by those who don't win too often.

It's thrown up so often because it's blindingly obvious.

Catch yourself on, it's bullshit.

Thanks for the scientific and detailed explanation why everyone else is wrong and you're right. You've won me over.

I'll await your detailed scientific explanation with interest - oh wait it's blindingly obvious.  ::)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: larryin89 on September 28, 2013, 02:02:05 AM
Dillon has never turned up for final , he's aswell hit the road, it is time people  stopped making excuses for lads who can't hack the big day. Time to bring in a couple of fresh faces but somehow I think the bull thick Ballimtubber buck Horan  will persist with the same nine or so forwards he's always stuck with.

You're not a Horan fan then Lawrence? How well you didn't warn us about him before now. We could have been braced for the shock.

Rossfan

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 28, 2013, 10:33:38 AM

You're not a Horan fan then Lawrence? How well you didn't warn us about him before now. We could have been braced for the shock.
Any truth in the rumour Horan is moving on??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 28, 2013, 02:14:10 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 28, 2013, 01:38:07 AM

Eoghan O'Gara who is unlikely to ever win all-star managed two points from play Mayos last point from play was in the 26 minute, thats a few stats that tells a story.

Captain hindsight, you are a genius.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2013, 11:06:16 AM

We were looking for a third selector last season, there may be an opening for him. Don't know about his record though. Should we take the risk?

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2013, 11:06:16 AM

We were looking for a third selector last season, there may be an opening for him. Don't know about his record though. Should we take the risk?
It might be worth a shot.
If we were as "bad" as Horan's team over the last 2 or 3 years we wouldn't be complaining ( nor would about 28 other Counties).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

In fairness he deserved to start. But to finish the game that is a different argument.  With the handicaps that our FF line had the HF line needed to be strong. Can't see Dillon doing another lap? When Club championship is over he will have much needed op. Good servant!

muppet

Dillon has never turned up for final , he's aswell hit the road, it is time people  stopped making excuses for lads who can't hack the big day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPTGYFC7H8
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

What new faces?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bucko

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 28, 2013, 05:52:04 PM

What new faces?
Coen and Evan Regan should get long runs in the league but no guarantees they can bring something new to the table. Best forward at club level for the last two years lives/works in London, more so unfortunate that he would be highly likely to offer something. I said it already, as far as our first choice forwards' fitness was concerned luck deserted us earlier in the year. Andy only returning at the start of the championship, Dillon playing with an abdominal/groin injury, our best forward in the league, Conroy, popping his shoulder a week after the league semi, Cillian doing his in the first club championship match of the summer and Freeman's reported illness the week before the final (didn't show any ill effects tho IMO). Kevin McLoughlin's form dipped after the Donegal match? I would wonder how we'd have got on if we had all these lads fully fit with good game time behind them. I can't think of any other county team that has had such a run of injuries to such a large number of first choice players as we have had since the beginning of the year.