2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 19, 2013, 12:32:42 PM
And if Philly McMahon is starting to rough up Cillian, they have already lost. Bring it on.
If a player is carrying a dodgy shoulder into an All-Ireland final, you hit him hard, fair or foul, and attempt to put him out of the game.

Teams that rough up key opposition players in key matches, more often than not, win.

Tyrone roughed up Gooch. Tadhg Kennelly roughed up Nicholas Murphy. Dublin roughed up Karl Lacey in the 2011 semi-final. Meath roughed up Tyrone in 1996 and Cork in 1988 and won.

You probably have to go back to Mayo in 1996 and Galway in 1983 to find the last instances of a team starting the roughing up and losing.

ballinaman

Team announced:

Team: Hennelly,
Cunniffe, Cafferkey, Barrett,
Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle,
AO'Shea, SOShea,
McLoughlin, Higgins, Dillon,
O'Connor, Freeman, Moran

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 19, 2013, 12:31:23 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on September 19, 2013, 10:48:13 AM
Hi guys,

Tactical preview of Mayo vs Dublin with video now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7654

Thanks,
Emmet

Good read as always and you more or less confirmed what has worried me coming into this match i.e. can we contain the Dubs scoring power? As you highlighted it's our subs in the backs which will have to do some heavy lifting in order to quell the likes of Rock etc... and limiting the volume of chances for the Dubs is probably where we win the game (God it's good to read a review with out the term marquee forward). On the flip side I think the Dubs defence will probably give up/ or Mayo's attack will create about 14 to 16 scores which against anyone else would win Mayo an All Ireland but I think even with our defence holding their own the impact of the Dublin bench will have us struggle to keep their scores under 18.

So I am going to call it the Dubs by 2 after we give them an almighty scare but ultimately Andy , Dillion and O Connor not being 100% will cost us. This by the way doesn't stop me from believing that with a bit of luck I am wrong and with this Mayo side I never give up the ghost till the final whistle blows but the above prediction is just based on what I have seen this year from both teams.

Enjoy the match everyone who has secured their tickets and to those still looking I hope you get one!

The great thing about Keith Higgins at CHF is that if the scores start to rack up against us, it will be relatively simple to put Higgins in as a sweeper, steady the ship and push on again....

Also Mayo are not replying on any particular forward division player to be firing on all cylinders to get us over the line, in the semi- Final, Dillon and Moran were well below par, what did we get? Our defenders coming up and kicking key points, this must take a lot of pressure of the forwards coming into the game and if the first couple of balls don't go their way, there is no need for panic.

Mayo will get a goal or two in this game, not sure if it will be a long ball through Freeman or a straight run by Vaughan, Boyle or Higgins, but either option is there and will cause the Dubs a lot of problems.....

If Dublin make all the changes that have been posted, i will be amazed and it will be a boost to Mayo. Players who have been playing well all year, don't reach the same standards in the semi and are then dropped, must filter through to the other players again adding to the overall pressure................

Same team again i see, excellent.........gives all the under performers in the Semi, another chance to show what they are made of........

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Sidney on September 19, 2013, 02:59:38 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 19, 2013, 12:32:42 PM
And if Philly McMahon is starting to rough up Cillian, they have already lost. Bring it on.
If a player is carrying a dodgy shoulder into an All-Ireland final, you hit him hard, fair or foul, and attempt to put him out of the game.

Teams that rough up key opposition players in key matches, more often than not, win.

Tyrone roughed up Gooch. Tadhg Kennelly roughed up Nicholas Murphy. Dublin roughed up Karl Lacey in the 2011 semi-final. Meath roughed up Tyrone in 1996 and Cork in 1988 and won.

You probably have to go back to Mayo in 1996 and Galway in 1983 to find the last instances of a team starting the roughing up and losing.
Hmmm, I think you are a little wide of the mark there chief!!  Anyway, we werent good enough to win it even with 2 extra men on the field....................

Zulu

Interesting team from Mayo. How O'Connor and Moran go will be important to the outcome, if both go poorly or injury forces them off early it could be a fatal blow to Mayo. Mayo need to have players that can come in with 20 minutes to go and have an impact, just like Dublin's subs surely will.

highorlow

QuoteYou probably have to go back to Mayo in 1996 and Galway in 1983 to find the last instances of a team starting the roughing up and losing.

No you don't. Whealan closelined MacGarrity in '06. Whealan survived Ronan didn't we did!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Zulu on September 19, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
Interesting team from Mayo. How O'Connor and Moran go will be important to the outcome, if both go poorly or injury forces them off early it could be a fatal blow to Mayo. Mayo need to have players that can come in with 20 minutes to go and have an impact, just like Dublin's subs surely will.

I cant imagine Horan staring anyone who isn't 100%, know someone close to the Mayo set-up and it appears the COC's injury has never been quite as serious as has been speculated. Time will tell.

ballinaman

Expecting Andy to catch fire on Sunday. Hamstring was at him for game Vs Tyrone. 100% now.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ballinaman on September 19, 2013, 03:39:12 PM
Expecting Andy to catch fire on Sunday. Hamstring was at him for game Vs Tyrone. 100% now.

Surely Conroy offers more of an attacking threat or is he more of an impact sub in the mould of Mc Menamin for Dublin??

ballinaman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 19, 2013, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 19, 2013, 03:39:12 PM

Surely Conroy offers more of an attacking threat or is he more of an impact sub in the mould of Mc Menamin for Dublin??
The later I would say. He'll be first forward sub on I reckon.

Sidney

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 19, 2013, 03:20:12 PM

Hmmm, I think you are a little wide of the mark there chief!!  Anyway, we werent good enough to win it even with 2 extra men on the field....................
Richie Lee started it when he clocked Joe McNally just before Barney Rock's goal.

Crete Boom

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 19, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Emmet

Good read as always and you more or less confirmed what has worried me coming into this match i.e. can we contain the Dubs scoring power? As you highlighted it's our subs in the backs which will have to do some heavy lifting in order to quell the likes of Rock etc... and limiting the volume of chances for the Dubs is probably where we win the game (God it's good to read a review with out the term marquee forward). On the flip side I think the Dubs defence will probably give up/ or Mayo's attack will create about 14 to 16 scores which against anyone else would win Mayo an All Ireland but I think even with our defence holding their own the impact of the Dublin bench will have us struggle to keep their scores under 18.

So I am going to call it the Dubs by 2 after we give them an almighty scare but ultimately Andy , Dillion and O Connor not being 100% will cost us. This by the way doesn't stop me from believing that with a bit of luck I am wrong and with this Mayo side I never give up the ghost till the final whistle blows but the above prediction is just based on what I have seen this year from both teams.

Enjoy the match everyone who has secured their tickets and to those still looking I hope you get one!

The great thing about Keith Higgins at CHF is that if the scores start to rack up against us, it will be relatively simple to put Higgins in as a sweeper, steady the ship and push on again....

Also Mayo are not replying on any particular forward division player to be firing on all cylinders to get us over the line, in the semi- Final, Dillon and Moran were well below par, what did we get? Our defenders coming up and kicking key points, this must take a lot of pressure of the forwards coming into the game and if the first couple of balls don't go their way, there is no need for panic.

Mayo will get a goal or two in this game, not sure if it will be a long ball through Freeman or a straight run by Vaughan, Boyle or Higgins, but either option is there and will cause the Dubs a lot of problems.....

If Dublin make all the changes that have been posted, i will be amazed and it will be a boost to Mayo. Players who have been playing well all year, don't reach the same standards in the semi and are then dropped, must filter through to the other players again adding to the overall pressure................

Same team again i see, excellent.........gives all the under performers in the Semi, another chance to show what they are made of........

Maith an fear an Gaeilgoir. B'fhéidir go bhfuil mé go diúltach mar gheall ar ár thaifead i cluichí ceannais ach imní orm go mbeidh ár chúl a chosaint i bhfad ró chun a ionsaí i gcoinne an fhoireann Bhaile Átha Cliath!

Tá mé treisithe ag do mhuinín san fhoireann seo i Maigh Eo agus i gcomhréir le do chuid tuairimí thuas, is é an t-am anois le haghaidh Sam MacGuire le teacht abhaile ar deireadh. Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan ag 5!! ;D (Tá mé leithscéal as mo gramadach, Is é mo Ghaeilge uafásach).

sans pessimism

Quote from: Sidney on September 19, 2013, 03:42:52 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 19, 2013, 03:20:12 PM

Richie Lee started it when he clocked Joe McNally just before Barney Rock's goal.
you've done the windin' now f**k off sillney
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Mayo4Sam

Not really sure how interesting it is Zulu, Horan was always going to name the same starting team as the last two days, even if COC were to be out.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 19, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 19, 2013, 03:15:03 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Emmet

Maith an fear an Gaeilgoir. B'fhéidir go bhfuil mé go diúltach mar gheall ar ár thaifead i cluichí ceannais ach imní orm go mbeidh ár chúl a chosaint i bhfad ró chun a ionsaí i gcoinne an fhoireann Bhaile Átha Cliath!

Tá mé treisithe ag do mhuinín san fhoireann seo i Maigh Eo agus i gcomhréir le do chuid tuairimí thuas, is é an t-am anois le haghaidh Sam MacGuire le teacht abhaile ar deireadh. Mhaigh Eo a bhuachan ag 5!! ;D (Tá mé leithscéal as mo gramadach, Is é mo Ghaeilge uafásach).

Iarracht Mhaith Crete, B+, Aontaíonn leat mar gheall leis an scór....