Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on August 27, 2013, 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 26, 2013, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 26, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
I thought Tyronies use to loudly boo at Peter Harte, now he's a vital top 3 player?

Huh? Peter Harte has never been booed, are you thinking of Mark Harte?
It's hard to tell, all you Tyronies look the same.

According to media reports at the time, there use to be some amount of booing  by a sizable nr of Tyrone supporters against a player called Harte.
The booing was an issue and I remember Mickey Harte on a number of occasions speaking out against those morons.

But maybe that chapter has been wiped out of Tyrone history. :)
Maybe Harte organised the booing himself. Maybe Mickey was just deflecting attention away from a poor result.
Who can tell where the truth lies in Tyrone, ye guys just make up stories to put a suit on a denial and cling to it for dear life, no matter how absurd it appears to sensible folk. :)
You're talking through your hole.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 27, 2013, 10:54:21 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 27, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
I'll throw one out to the Tyronies here on the back of the defeat of a potentially pretty good side.  Mickey Harte has revolutionised Tyrone football and that is without a shadow of a doubt but do you feel that maybe now is the time to change?  200 games is a nice milestone and it may be the situation that to take this team and utilize the obvious talent that is there then a change is needed?  Would it be time for Canavan to step into the hotseat and re-invigorate things?  I get the impression from some that they are getting frustrated with Harte's negative approach to the game, may a new face change that approach?

Is Canavan the answer??? Absoltely not. He has achieved next to nothing as a manager and I for one would hate for him to be the next tyrone manager, although i fear this will someday be the case. He is the perfect example that good players do not automatically make good managers.

He has achieved nothing worth speaking of with Fermanagh, in his 3 years managing errigal Ciaran, who have 4 senior teams, and countless numbers to pick from he won 1-2 championship GAMES and delivered errigal 1 league title, pathetic.

And by all accounts he isnt the main man with regards the teams at holy trinity, i hear that is all down to the excellent work of another errigal man, adrian o'donnell.

Harte should be retained, deservedly for what he has achieved, or alternatively lack of a better option. But in a couple of years....(Manager) Ryan Porter, (Trainer) Peter donnelly, (Assistants) Adrian O'Donnell and Gavin Devlin.
Outside the County.......Kieran McGeeney

That's fair enough then, maybe Harte needs a need backroom team to freshen it all up then, have his successor in now to 'hand it over' per se.  I have no love for Tyrone but the reality is that there is plenty of quality in that team and I feel it is being restricted by the tactics.

The Beard

I'll throw one out to the Tyronies here on the back of the defeat of a potentially pretty good side.  Mickey Harte has revolutionised Tyrone football and that is without a shadow of a doubt but do you feel that maybe now is the time to change?  200 games is a nice milestone and it may be the situation that to take this team and utilize the obvious talent that is there then a change is needed?  Would it be time for Canavan to step into the hotseat and re-invigorate things?  I get the impression from some that they are getting frustrated with Harte's negative approach to the game, may a new face change that approach?

Is Canavan the answer??? Absoltely not. He has achieved next to nothing as a manager and I for one would hate for him to be the next tyrone manager, although i fear this will someday be the case. He is the perfect example that good players do not automatically make good managers.

He has achieved nothing worth speaking of with Fermanagh, in his 3 years managing errigal Ciaran, who have 4 senior teams, and countless numbers to pick from he won 1-2 championship GAMES and delivered errigal 1 league title, pathetic.

And by all accounts he isnt the main man with regards the teams at holy trinity, i hear that is all down to the excellent work of another errigal man, adrian o'donnell.

Harte should be retained, deservedly for what he has achieved, or alternatively lack of a better option. But in a couple of years....(Manager) Ryan Porter, (Trainer) Peter donnelly, (Assistants) Adrian O'Donnell and Gavin Devlin.

thats a very bitter post against the best player in the history of tyrone (alongside cavanagh probably). Agreed peter didnt win a championship with errigal but was beat by eventual winners in first round twice and then in quarters once. And as for fermanagh, its difficult to judge as not sure the quality of player is there to work with. Im not saying peter should be next tyrone manager but a bit of respect, he's no better or worse than other candidates you mentioned. Personally rate porter very high but he usually more of a coach than manager.

I also do agree that perhaps time for Mickey to step down. greatest manager in tyrone's history and one of the best but everything comes to a natural conclusion and I think this is his. can always return after a few years aswell if need be

bluenosebandit

its not a bitter post, it just states a true fact that peter canavan is nowhere near good enough, or ready at this moment in time to manage tyrone. He couldnt win the club championship at errigal, his succesor won it in his first year at the helm. The fact that he is the greatest player to have played the game has nothing to do with his ability as a manger.

Granted those others i named arent ready to manage tyrone either, but that is the problem, inside our own county i dont tink anyone even comes close to mickey harte, or has the managerial nouse to succeed him. The county board will stick with mickey for what he has achieved, and for lack of a better option.
True point about Porter being more of a coach, but i honestly cant think of anyone better for the modern game.

nrico2006

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 27, 2013, 11:03:18 AM

That's fair enough then, maybe Harte needs a need backroom team to freshen it all up then, have his successor in now to 'hand it over' per se.  I have no love for Tyrone but the reality is that there is plenty of quality in that team and I feel it is being restricted by the tactics.

There is plenty of quality in the panel and also in the County.  Time for a new manager.  Reputation has kept Harte in the job the past few years.  He has been the greatest manager the Coutny has ever had but his time has come and gone.  People will say this and that about their being no obvious replacement, but the same could have been said at the time Dublin brought in Gilroy or when Mayo and Donegal appointed Horan and McGuiness.  Neither of these 3 were obvious saviours, yet they all reinvented the teams and transformed them for the better.  Its worth noting that all 3 have had a big helping hand from others, with Gilroy having Micky Whelan as assistant, McGuiness brought in a strong team to cover every angle and Mayo have been transformed in certain areas under Donie Buckley.  How good a coach is McElkennon or Tally - are they over-rated or is there a place for them anywhere?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Wee Roddy

Where has this Adrian O'Donnell stuff come from? Does he manage any teams with Errigal? Would he not need to be managing at club level? A school team is very different from coaching, managing or selecting at senior level. Are there not a few better recognised coaches at holy trinity?

J OGorman

and whats the craic with free staters pronouncing 'nephew', 'nev-view'? crazy stuff

Denn Forever

Quote from: J OGorman on August 27, 2013, 11:24:31 AM
and whats the craic with free staters pronouncing 'nephew', 'nev-view'? crazy stuff

I counter with 'sickt' rather than sixth.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

NAG1

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 27, 2013, 11:19:08 AM
its not a bitter post, it just states a true fact that peter canavan is nowhere near good enough, or ready at this moment in time to manage tyrone. He couldnt win the club championship at errigal, his succesor won it in his first year at the helm. The fact that he is the greatest player to have played the game has nothing to do with his ability as a manger.

Granted those others i named arent ready to manage tyrone either, but that is the problem, inside our own county i dont tink anyone even comes close to mickey harte, or has the managerial nouse to succeed him. The county board will stick with mickey for what he has achieved, and for lack of a better option.
True point about Porter being more of a coach, but i honestly cant think of anyone better for the modern game.

Wow that is some statement

rrhf

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2013, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 27, 2013, 06:43:52 AM
Aye 1 03 worse what was in it at the end

You are a sore loser!! What about the "disallowed" goal. Not offset a goal?!
Referee whistled was giving the handy free. Tyrone had stopped.  What a shock when the ball hit the back of the net.  I bought a Mayo flag after the game which I will take to the final. 

EC Unique

Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 27, 2013, 11:22:47 AM
Where has this Adrian O'Donnell stuff come from? Does he manage any teams with Errigal? Would he not need to be managing at club level? A school team is very different from coaching, managing or selecting at senior level. Are there not a few better recognised coaches at holy trinity?

Don't really get this one myself. Not regarded as management material within Errigal as far as I know.

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on August 27, 2013, 11:46:10 AM
Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 27, 2013, 11:19:08 AM

Wow that is some statement

Sure football was only invented in 2003!!  ::)

Nally Stand

Quote from: orangeman on August 26, 2013, 12:22:16 PM
Mayo racked up 1-8 of their 1-16 total from nine Tyrone fouls. One was Dermot Carlin dragging down Colm Boyle for the penalty, which replays showed was actually outside the parallelogram. Another six resulted in pointed frees, while two scores came off quickly taken frees to inside forwards.

From Irish Times.

Interesting terminology. If it hadn't involved Tyrone, it probably have just been worded "Mayo scored 0-8 from play", as these stats usually tend to be worded; rather than saying they "scored 1-8 from Tyrone fouls".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

brokencrossbar1

I wonder what the thoughts might be on someone like, Dinky or Jody stepping in or Mattie McGleenan?  Plenty of experience at club/schools level and certainly would have the respect of the player I would imagine? In as no 2 for the next season or 2 and then move up to no 1?

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 27, 2013, 12:06:08 PM
I wonder what the thoughts might be on someone like, Dinky or Jody stepping in or Mattie McGleenan?  Plenty of experience at club/schools level and certainly would have the respect of the player I would imagine? In as no 2 for the next season or 2 and then move up to no 1?

Pretty sure Tyrone would need to be mentally incapacitated to not let Mickey stay for as long as he wants. Few managers would have got as much from that panel.