Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 26, 2013, 04:58:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 04:52:10 PM
Similarly, I don't understand why refs in big games at Croke Park don't unofficially use the big screen. Deegan was 25-30 yards behind the play for the penalty yesterday. (Btw, I don't understand why people are criticising this. Do they expect him to be able to run from the other end of the field faster than Mayo can kick the ball that far?) All he had to do was blow for the foul and take his time after that. Play was stopped. He had no need to be running headlong, spreading his arms and roaring. Just stroll up, keeping an eye on the screen before making up his mind whether it was inside or outside.

He'll end up watching some stupid ad for Nivea on the big screen.

Ah that's true! I forgot that they don't show the controversial ones, though there seems to be a suggestion that it was shown yesterday, with the Tyrone lads urging him to look at it and he refusing.

The Biff

147 bleedin' pages ....  :o  I'm not reading all that to see if my comment has been mentioned before.

First ... I thought it was a valid penalty, and can well understand why Deegan gave it.  He would have been watching the two players interplay, as well as probably trying to watch other tussles nearby (there are always plenty of "tussles" when an attack is under way).  When he saw the foul contact, only then would he have tried to judge where the foul took place.  In that half second, Boyle and Carlin were now well inside the square as they were at speed.  It's the refs responsibility to make an instant judgement call; no freeze-frame slow-mo replay.  I think the foul contact occurred as the two players entered the square, and the penalty was justified.

What really surprises me more is the lack of outcry against Carlin for NOT doing a Cavanagh-esque rugby-tackle before Boyle got that close to goal at all?  He didn't take-one-for-the-team, did he?  I didn't hear Joe Brolly commending Carlin for that, "as a man".
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 04:52:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 26, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: Mrs mills on August 26, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Furthermore, there is no advantage rule yet.

Why does this myth persist? Do people think when there's a foul and the referee plays on with his arm in the air he's signalling "hup Mayo" or something??

4.36 When a team commits a technical foul, the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be the advantage of the opposing team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once he allows play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary action.

5.35 When a team commits an aggressive foul, the Referee may allow play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once the Referee allows the play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply the relevant penalty.

I think people think advantage should be akin to something like they have in rugby and also now in soccer, that the ref can allow an advantage but if none occurs then it can be brought back.  There was reference the other day to the 'slow whistle' whereby refs are now encouraged to hold off blowing the whistle to see whether or not an advantage occurs.  That is the closest we have to what some people want.

I don't understand why referees don't use the slow whistle as a matter of course. You can give yourself a second or so before making up your mind and nobody will (well, should) complain. That's why it puzzles me to see refs running around with the whistle in the mouth. Far better to hang it from the wrist. That way it takes a second or so to grab it and blow, by which time the situation will have developed.

Similarly, I don't understand why refs in big games at Croke Park don't unofficially use the big screen. Deegan was 25-30 yards behind the play for the penalty yesterday. (Btw, I don't understand why people are criticising this. Do they expect him to be able to run from the other end of the field faster than Mayo can kick the ball that far?) All he had to do was blow for the foul and take his time after that. Play was stopped. He had no need to be running headlong, spreading his arms and roaring. Just stroll up, keeping an eye on the screen before making up his mind whether it was inside or outside.

That cost Kerry an All-Ireland in '82 according to the ref himself, whistle fell out of his mouth and by the time he had it back in Darby had got the goal and the celebrations were going, he felt he couldnt blow it up then for the push
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Biff

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 26, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: Mrs mills on August 26, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Furthermore, there is no advantage rule yet.

Why does this myth persist? Do people think when there's a foul and the referee plays on with his arm in the air he's signalling "hup Mayo" or something??

4.36 When a team commits a technical foul, the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be the advantage of the opposing team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once he allows play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary action.

5.35 When a team commits an aggressive foul, the Referee may allow play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once the Referee allows the play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply the relevant penalty.

I think people think advantage should be akin to something like they have in rugby and also now in soccer, that the ref can allow an advantage but if none occurs then it can be brought back.  There was reference the other day to the 'slow whistle' whereby refs are now encouraged to hold off blowing the whistle to see whether or not an advantage occurs.  That is the closest we have to what some people want.
That's coming next year, along with the Black Card.

Hardy - why bother quoting actual rule texts here?  You'll never win an argument around here by using facts.  In fact, no arguments are ever won or lost around here; they just slip off onto Page 2 and into oblivion.
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Biff on August 26, 2013, 05:08:38 PM
147 bleedin' pages ....  :o  I'm not reading all that to see if my comment has been mentioned before.

First ... I thought it was a valid penalty, and can well understand why Deegan gave it.  He would have been watching the two players interplay, as well as probably trying to watch other tussles nearby (there are always plenty of "tussles" when an attack is under way).  When he saw the foul contact, only then would he have tried to judge where the foul took place.  In that half second, Boyle and Carlin were now well inside the square as they were at speed.  It's the refs responsibility to make an instant judgement call; no freeze-frame slow-mo replay. I think the foul contact occurred as the two players entered the square, and the penalty was justified.

What really surprises me more is the lack of outcry against Carlin for NOT doing a Cavanagh-esque rugby-tackle before Boyle got that close to goal at all?  He didn't take-one-for-the-team, did he?  I didn't hear Joe Brolly commending Carlin for that, "as a man".

You must be one of the few with that opinion. If Deegan was asked today he would admit he made a poor call. Water under the bridge now and as Kevin McStay said last night they got the breaks other days they may not.

rosnarun

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 26, 2013, 05:25:28 PM
Quote from: The Biff on August 26, 2013, 05:08:38 PM

First ... I thought it was a valid penalty, and can well understand why Deegan gave it.  He would have been watching the two players interplay, as well as probably trying to watch other tussles nearby (there are always plenty of "tussles" when an attack is under way).  When he saw the foul contact, only then would he have tried to judge where the foul took place.  In that half second, Boyle and Carlin were now well inside the square as they were at speed.  It's the refs responsibility to make an instant judgement call; no freeze-frame slow-mo replay. I think the foul contact occurred as the two players entered the square, and the penalty was justified.

You must be one of the few with that opinion. If Deegan was asked today he would admit he made a poor call. Water under the bridge now and as Kevin McStay said last night they got the breaks other days they may not.
inital contact may have been out side but till i see a replay maybe the foul was completed inside the box.
A fouler does not have the right to tell the ref where he started Fouling as player
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Main Street

Quote from: thewobbler on August 26, 2013, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 04:10:13 PM
Ye don't help yourselves. What is M.Harte on about?  ::)

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199493

Harte cries foul over nephew's injury

Harte wasn't impressed with the challenge that resulted in his nephew Peter Harte having to leave the field after just six minutes of yesterday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

While many felt the 'shoulder' by Mayo corner back Tom Cunniffe was fair, the Tyrone manager didn't see it that way.

"I think that would annoy me more than anything," he said.

"He (Peter Harte) didn't even get a free for something which forced him to leave the field on crutches. There is another anomaly for how we are looking at this game through certain lenses."

Harte felt the three points Mayo got before half-time were crucial to the outcome.

"It's very disappointing for us because I think the players put in a huge effort, particularly in the first half. I would have to say approaching half-time when we were seven-three up, I don't think anybody would have read the script that way.

"It was just unfortunate from our perspective that we let them back in for three points before half-time, which gave them a position going in at half-time that they probably didn't deserve. But overall, that's the mark of what they are about. They ground out in the first half when they were on the back foot."

If Cuniffe had have done anything but put everything he had into that challenge, he would have a) been accused of pulling out, and b) either hurt himself (Harte was going in hard too) or taken off for being a fairy.

As it turned out, it was one of the best executed shoulders of the summer. Harte getting hurt had nothing to do with the impact, and everything to do with way he landed.
How can you be so sure about him getting hurt had everything to do with the way he landed?
It was a full-on shoulder and hip crushing challenge. The damage was likely caused from hip to hip. Probably Harte's incapacitation is short term, hopefully a couple of weeks at most.
I thought Tyronies use to loudly boo at Peter Harte, now he's a vital top 3 player?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on August 26, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
I thought Tyronies use to loudly boo at Peter Harte, now he's a vital top 3 player?

Huh? Peter Harte has never been booed, are you thinking of Mark Harte?

Well done Mayo, the better team won, and now go the whole way (for feck's sake)!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lawnseed

tyrone need a goalkeeper big pack was woeful. he absolutely destroyed tyrone. his kickouts are poor, his short passing is brutal and hes so wooden and stiff he make arney look like a ballet dancer. cost them the match imo
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 09:33:24 PM
tyrone need a goalkeeper big pack was woeful. he absolutely destroyed tyrone. his kickouts are poor, his short passing is brutal and hes so wooden and stiff he make arney look like a ballet dancer. cost them the match imo

Better team beat them is what cost them the match.

Still hating on Mayo?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trileacman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 09:34:17 PM

Still hating on Mayo?

Maybe it's because you're bad winners and that's why you win f**k all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trileacman on August 26, 2013, 09:36:26 PM

Still hating on Mayo?

You obviously missed lawnseed comment about Mayo a few pages back. Only negative comments from Mayo is coming from the whinging from certain Tyrone posters, a rant from Mickey Harte and rant from lawnseed how he hates Mayo and wants Dublin or Kerry to do something to our holes  :o

I have already said Tyrone made a game of it. Look closer to home for the bad reaction to the result.

trileacman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 09:41:03 PM

Still hating on Mayo?

You obviously missed lawnseed comment about Mayo a few pages back. Only negative comments from Mayo is coming from the whinging from certain Tyrone posters, a rant from Mickey Harte and rant from lawnseed how he hates Mayo and wants Dublin or Kerry to do something to our holes  :o

I have already said Tyrone made a game of it. Look closer to home for the bad reaction to the result.

You've had several comments gloating on the victory/ sneering at Harte and Tyrone. I don't have to go back a few pages to see the work of a bollix.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trileacman on August 26, 2013, 09:58:40 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 09:41:03 PM

Still hating on Mayo?

You've had several comments gloating on the victory/ sneering at Harte and Tyrone. I don't have to go back a few pages to see the work of a bollix.

Was Mickey Harte not the one who came out having a go at Cunniffe?

You stuck your nose into my comment to lawnseed, without checking did he deserve it.

I have said fair play to Tyrone.

I pointed out McConnell's actions when someone else pointed out O'Shea's carry on in the same sequence of events.

Listen if you are sore, don't blame me.

Mayo were the better team, most of the Tyrone posters have acknowledged this.