Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

just as a matter of interest has a goalkeeper ever been substituted in a championship match for being crap..? I once saw big joe march round the pitch to paul hearty during a match to give him a fukken..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on August 25, 2013, 04:02:30 PM
Mayo shit the nest again, when it really matters. Like Kildare, they just don't have the natural footballers required to win an AI.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Looks like they rubbed the sh1t from the nest in your face?  ;D

omagh_gael

Fair play to Mayo, the best team on the day won. Now go and win the whole bolloxin' thing!

Not much to add, quick summary:

-Ref was shite

- SoN going off was crucial. While he wasn't a massive scoring threat the attention he requires freed up space for the other forwards.

- Conor Gormley was superb. Really hope he gives it another year.

- Hopefully Harte increases the pace we move the ball into the FF line next year. It's painfully slow at the minute which does us no favours at all. Dermy Carlin put in a beauty from 40 yards out McAliskey collected, turned and put it over the bar. We have seen very little of that this year.

For the rest of the championship I am donning the green and red...COME ON MAYO!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 26, 2013, 11:55:33 PM
Fair play to Mayo, the best team on the day won. Now go and win the whole bolloxin' thing!

-Ref was shite

- SoN going off was crucial. While he wasn't a massive scoring threat the attention he requires freed up space for the other forwards.

- Hopefully Harte increases the pace we move the ball into the FF line next year. It's painfully slow at the minute which does us no favours at all. Dermy Carlin put in a beauty from 40 yards out McAliskey collected, turned and put it over the bar. We have seen very little of that this year.

I think S.O'Neill isn't the player he was, Tyrone have a lot of young talent coming through and I would expect to see them where Mayo, Dublin and (last years Donegal) ar in 2-3 years.

Agreed the ref was awful, I just watched it again and he was worse to Mayo than I remember from watching it first time. Still Tyrone came out slightly worse from his errors.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rrhf

imtommygunn

Quote from: rrhf on August 27, 2013, 06:43:52 AM
Aye 1 03 worse what was in it at the end

You are a sore loser!! What about the "disallowed" goal. Not offset a goal?!

Quarterback

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 26, 2013, 11:55:33 PM

-Ref was shite

Her-in lies the problem I feel...we play with an 11 who spends most of the game in defence.  We play our 12 as a sweeper.  Penrose plays as a defender...These guys are expected to be defenders more so than scoring threats. How the team could have done with a ball playing CHF to win the ball on the 40' and distribute inside...A Brian Mc Guigan.... Its the way Harte sets the team up but surely we have the footballers in this county to attack teams.  In the second half we had no real scoring threat..We were running at them in our own half as opposed to their half...When Dermot Early talks about Tyrone losing because of our sweeper system i see where he is coming from...

All in all its been a great year for Tyrone...National League final as well as the last 4.  We are still in transition and have gained good experience.

Looking forward id like to see some fresh faces brought in ..maybe Thomas Canavan could play on the 40,  She Mc Guigan of Richard Donnelly.

bluenosebandit

Mayo a much better team, and showed serious battling qualities. very impressed with how tyrone turned the first half into a dog eat dog affair, but i think mayo showed their true credentials as potential all ireland winners when the door was ajar after the penalty, they went for the jugular and simply blitzed tyrone.

Mickey crying about peter getting hurt, honestly, it cant be someone else's fault all the time, fair hit, stronger man gets up and continues playing, its what gaelic football is all about. in the direct aftermmath of peter harte going off, it didnt effect tyrone one bit.

Shows how good a manager both mickey harte and james horan are: two best players in ireland this year before sundays game, sean cavanagh and aidan o'shea, a couple of weeks to develop a game plan, both were rubbish on sunday

Jinxy

If I was a Mayo man I wouldn't be too worried about Hartes comments.
Peter Canavan shipped a fair shoulder off John Mac in 96 and they are still cribbing about it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Applesisapples

A few observations from a neutral perspective. Maurice Deegan was woeful, and on balance Mayo got the benefit of his poor performance. That said the best team won as Tyrone just ran out of steam. On first viewing I'd thought Peter Harte was hit late but the replay showed what looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit. Why did his leg go? Was he already carrying an injury? Tyrone fans on here complaining about refereeing decisions should remember that they can cut both ways (as an Armagh man Diarmuid Marsdens red card in 03must be mentioned :D). I think a penalty for the foot block would have been as soft as Mayo's which was clearly outside the box and shouldn't have been given. For the disallowed goal Deegan had quite clearly blown for another soft Mayo free and both Joe McMahon and McConnell stopped any serious attempt to prevent the ball going into the net. I would love to see Mayo win the AI, but I just think Dublin are that wee bit further on, but here's hoping.

Fuzzman

As most of us have already said Tyrone have done very well to get to the AI semi final and maybe were lucky not to meet one of the big guns in the quarters.
If we're being realistic we are not a top 4 team any more but who knows in the next few years.

One thing I will say though is that whilst Mickey done very well to get this team back to where it is now, I really really do not like our style of play. I know many other fans feel the same. The almost soccer style of playing from the back slowly up the field uses so much energy and I think it was a system built out of how Donegal were playing the game 2 years ago. I can see how it protects possession but My God it requires so much energy and is horrible to watch.
The odd time we do kick it in long to a forward and it works out, it looks so much easier on the eye.
After a slow long built up, if the ball is turned over, there seems to be a huge frustration that the last 20 passes were all wasted and the other team break quickly down the field and get an easy score as people are out of position.

This is my major concern for the year ahead and it has been for the past 3 years or more. I hope Mickey changes tact next year and plays more forwards in the forward line. Players like Mark & Mat Donnelly and Penrose are not natural thinking defenders and imho are being wasted playing back there. Players like Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey & Coney are gonna get very frustrated if they are gonna be playing a 2 or 3 man FF line with nobody else then within 50 yards of them.

brokencrossbar1

I'll throw one out to the Tyronies here on the back of the defeat of a potentially pretty good side.  Mickey Harte has revolutionised Tyrone football and that is without a shadow of a doubt but do you feel that maybe now is the time to change?  200 games is a nice milestone and it may be the situation that to take this team and utilize the obvious talent that is there then a change is needed?  Would it be time for Canavan to step into the hotseat and re-invigorate things?  I get the impression from some that they are getting frustrated with Harte's negative approach to the game, may a new face change that approach?

nrico2006

As mentioned all year, our forwards rarely shoot or go for foal, instead they recycle the ball nearly every time.  Why do Tyrone not play fast ball into the forwards, its not like we don't have the forwards to win the ball and take the score.  Its hard to remember passages of play where a defender hits a quick ball in and the forward comes, collects and scores.  I recall Penrose hitting one in for McAliskey at the start of the Donegal game and Carlin to the same man at the start of the Mayo game.  It worked both times and its nearly impossible to stop.  Thats the game plan we should be playing.  If the like of McCurry, Coney, Ronan O'Neill and McAliskey were getting fed alot of ball they would get the scores.  Instead they are not getting the ball in good positions, usually receive it in a lateral passage of passing more akin to rugby.  Is Harte still manager to 2015?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bluenosebandit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 27, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
I'll throw one out to the Tyronies here on the back of the defeat of a potentially pretty good side.  Mickey Harte has revolutionised Tyrone football and that is without a shadow of a doubt but do you feel that maybe now is the time to change?  200 games is a nice milestone and it may be the situation that to take this team and utilize the obvious talent that is there then a change is needed?  Would it be time for Canavan to step into the hotseat and re-invigorate things?  I get the impression from some that they are getting frustrated with Harte's negative approach to the game, may a new face change that approach?

Is Canavan the answer??? Absoltely not. He has achieved next to nothing as a manager and I for one would hate for him to be the next tyrone manager, although i fear this will someday be the case. He is the perfect example that good players do not automatically make good managers.

He has achieved nothing worth speaking of with Fermanagh, in his 3 years managing errigal Ciaran, who have 4 senior teams, and countless numbers to pick from he won 1-2 championship GAMES and delivered errigal 1 league title, pathetic.

And by all accounts he isnt the main man with regards the teams at holy trinity, i hear that is all down to the excellent work of another errigal man, adrian o'donnell.

Harte should be retained, deservedly for what he has achieved, or alternatively lack of a better option. But in a couple of years....(Manager) Ryan Porter, (Trainer) Peter donnelly, (Assistants) Adrian O'Donnell and Gavin Devlin.
Outside the County.......Kieran McGeeney

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 26, 2013, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 26, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
I thought Tyronies use to loudly boo at Peter Harte, now he's a vital top 3 player?

Huh? Peter Harte has never been booed, are you thinking of Mark Harte?
It's hard to tell, all you Tyronies look the same.

According to media reports at the time, there use to be some amount of booing  by a sizable nr of Tyrone supporters against a player called Harte.
The booing was an issue and I remember Mickey Harte on a number of occasions speaking out against those morons.

But maybe that chapter has been wiped out of Tyrone history. :)
Maybe Harte organised the booing himself. Maybe Mickey was just deflecting attention away from a poor result.
Who can tell where the truth lies in Tyrone, ye guys just make up stories to put a suit on a denial and cling to it for dear life, no matter how absurd it appears to sensible folk. :)