Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2013, 02:13:40 PM
Did a little bit of video research last night for my sins. Watched the Tyrone V Meath and V Monaghan game with the Mayo V Donegal sandwiched in between over the last 2 nights.

Tyrone will seriously need to get their asses in gear if they are to win this match on Sunday. It's not impossible as nothing is sure in sport but, even without my green and red tinted glasses on, it's going to be a tough day at HQ for Tyrone.

Mayo forwards tackling and turn overs in the oppositions half has been immense this year, Tyrone like to build from the back, Monaghan retreated, Mayo forwards will be all over them. Can't believe how ponderous on the ball Harte was too, no chance in hell he's going to get away with that on Sunday.

Joe McMahon, outstanding as he is, I feel is going to have too much on his plate on Sunday. You can't be your teams covering player and 2nd best scorer from open play against a team with the pace that Mayo have. I fancy Donie Vaughan will be tasked to go with Sean Cavanagh when he bombs forward through the centre.

Should be a very interesting game, Micky Harte will have something up his sleeve no doubt!

At last someone sees where I'm coming from granted I go ott with the "we will kill them all day" type stuff but you still must see where I'm coming from in terms of pace and conditioning and overall just been a better side to date.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

supersarsfields

Fair play Larry, you definitely don't believe in keeping your powder dry.

Course alternatively you could be giving posters an awful amount of ammunition in the unlikely event that Tyrone do sneak a win.  ;)

BennyHarp

Did a little bit of video research last night for my sins. Watched the Tyrone V Meath and V Monaghan game with the Mayo V Donegal sandwiched in between over the last 2 nights.

Tyrone will seriously need to get their asses in gear if they are to win this match on Sunday. It's not impossible as nothing is sure in sport but, even without my green and red tinted glasses on, it's going to be a tough day at HQ for Tyrone.

Mayo forwards tackling and turn overs in the oppositions half has been immense this year, Tyrone like to build from the back, Monaghan retreated, Mayo forwards will be all over them. Can't believe how ponderous on the ball Harte was too, no chance in hell he's going to get away with that on Sunday.

Joe McMahon, outstanding as he is, I feel is going to have too much on his plate on Sunday. You can't be your teams covering player and 2nd best scorer from open play against a team with the pace that Mayo have. I fancy Donie Vaughan will be tasked to go with Sean Cavanagh when he bombs forward through the centre.

Should be a very interesting game, Micky Harte will have something up his sleeve no doubt!

I'd agree with a lot of what you say here Ballinaman, but Tyrone were on the road for 4 weeks and just had to battle these games out. I'd expect a much fresher Tyrone team with a specific game plan, I'm not sure Mickey had a load of time to implement specific tactics for Kildare, Meath and Monaghan.

Tyrone are also one of the best teams in the country at building from the back and it's the one area of our game that id be most confident in, so the tackling from the Mayo forwards won't unduly worry me. My main worry would be pace at which Mayo attack, especially fom deep so if Vaughan was tasked with following Cavanagh I'd be happy enough as he is a serious weapon going forward for Mayo.

It's an intriguing game alright and I can't wait.
That was never a square ball!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 11:01:21 AM
Mayo are one of the most consistent teams of the last 20 years.

For real? What have they won in those 20 years?

You obviously do not understand the meaning of consistent, it is not the same as successful. Mayo regularly win provincial championships (consistent), Mayo regularly stay in division 1, only team to do so since 1996 (consistent), Mayo regularly play in League Finals (consistent), Mayo regularly play in All-Ireland Finals (consistent), Mayo regularly play in minor and U-21 Finals (consistent), Mayo regularly perform poorly in the qualifiers (consistent), Mayo regularly win Quarter Finals (consistent), Mayo regularly win Semi-Finals (consistent), Mayo regularly knock out All-Ireland Champions (consistent). Mayo must have come second in the League, Senior All-Ireland, Minor and Under-21 and perhaps even club championship more than and other county in Ireland over the last 20 years (consistent).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 02:13:03 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 01:57:08 PM
Darragh again "My worry for Tyrone is that their forwards just aren't up to keeping pace with the amount that Mayo score."

That is some turnaround from the Mayo cant score goals line we were been given before the Galway game

In fairness the punditry is daft sometimes.

I remember reading a pundit (I won't name him) before the 1989 final saying he was worried about Jimmy Browne's lack of pace. I had been lucky enough to be asked to fill in at a few training sessions with the 89 squad and Browne used to win all the shuttle sprints. That taught me what I needed to know about punditry.

Actually I take that back regarding Daragh O'Sé's article, having read it properly. His article there is good and as always a little different from the herd.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 21, 2013, 02:31:29 PM

I'd agree with a lot of what you say here Ballinaman, but Tyrone were on the road for 4 weeks and just had to battle these games out. I'd expect a much fresher Tyrone team with a specific game plan, I'm not sure Mickey had a load of time to implement specific tactics for Kildare, Meath and Monaghan.

Tyrone are also one of the best teams in the country at building from the back and it's the one area of our game that id be most confident in, so the tackling from the Mayo forwards won't unduly worry me. My main worry would be pace at which Mayo attack, especially fom deep so if Vaughan was tasked with following Cavanagh I'd be happy enough as he is a serious weapon going forward for Mayo.

It's an intriguing game alright and I can't wait.
Tyrone are a super team and decent Mayo supporters are under no illusions we are in for a very tough afternoon. Matty Donnelly is a class act, his equaliser against us in the minor final still haunts me!! Should be a cracker of a match. Is it Sunday yet???!!??

larryin89

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2013, 02:26:37 PM

Course alternatively you could be giving posters an awful amount of ammunition in the unlikely event that Tyrone do sneak a win.  ;)

Again I don't get why one would do that, if youre wrong you just hold your hands up and say I got it so wrong ,I'm an awful ejit. It's no biggy honestly, there is such a false attitude among Gaa supporters , afraid of suggesting their team will win just in case they are wrong, I blame Irish society more than anything else,everyone wants to be a cute hoor, why I ask? What benefits does it bring to play down your sides chances if you believe they will win.

Last year outside phill Ryan's before the final, my aul fella was full sure we were going to win, I surprisingly said it was a year too early IMO . I'm not always confident but this set up this year has slowly reassured me there is something there that has never been there in my time (36 yrs old) ,genuine confidence in their own ability , a structured plan that was a three year one and that is in its third year,Horan is more of a genius than people think he is , the natural progression for this project is to land Sam this year , if it fails ill eat my hat.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 11:16:36 AM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 21, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2013, 11:01:21 AM
Mayo are one of the most consistent teams of the last 20 years.

For real? What have they won in those 20 years?

No one said they won anything.

Are you arguing that Mayo were NOT one of the most consistent teams of the last 20 years?

They consistently failed to win anything.

Coming from a Louth man who managed to lose a provincial title when they actually won that is rich. Mayo have won several Connacht titles, and U-21 All-Ireland and a NFL title in the last 20 years.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

highorlow

Lazy enough article by Darragh which is surprising from him. What's more surprising is his lack of respect for Tyrone. :o
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Fuzzman

muppet

Quote from: highorlow on August 21, 2013, 02:43:26 PM
Lazy enough article by Darragh which is surprising from him. What's more surprising is his lack of respect for Tyrone. :o

He did say this:
QuoteI'm really intrigued to see what Tyrone come up with to stop them on Sunday. Mickey Harte always has a plan and it will be fascinating to see how he's going to go about shutting Mayo down.
MWWSI 2017

Rodman

Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2013, 01:48:33 PM
Darragh o Se, " Mayo could do a real number on Tyrone"

I'm not alone, phew.

The hype around this Mayo team has far exceeded the hype around any of the Dublin teams over the past 20 years. The pressure on them must be unreal. Talk about the best Mayo team ever and how this game will be a mere training match for them must be seeping through to the players mind. If Mayo do not get a good start and are not at least 4 points up at h/t then they will begin to doubt themselves. If its tight with 20 mins to go, then Mayo will crack. Tyrone will go 2 or 3 up and then close out the game.  As for Tyrone, expectations are low, they have already over achieved this year and there is absolutely no pressure on them. Even the Mayo posters here are beginning to crack and its only Wednesday.

supersarsfields

Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2013, 02:40:56 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2013, 02:26:37 PM

Again I don't get why one would do that, if youre wrong you just hold your hands up and say I got it so wrong ,I'm an awful ejit. It's no biggy honestly, there is such a false attitude among Gaa supporters , afraid of suggesting their team will win just in case they are wrong, I blame Irish society more than anything else,everyone wants to be a cute hoor, why I ask? What benefits does it bring to play down your sides chances if you believe they will win.

Last year outside phill Ryan's before the final, my aul fella was full sure we were going to win, I surprisingly said it was a year too early IMO . I'm not always confident but this set up this year has slowly reassured me there is something there that has never been there in my time (36 yrs old) ,genuine confidence in their own ability , a structured plan that was a three year one and that is in its third year,Horan is more of a genius than people think he is , the natural progression for this project is to land Sam this year , if it fails ill eat my hat.

There's other people who have said similar, and ended up with a serious amount of egg on their face. No body minds someone being confident but there's a fine line between that and being cocky. Just because I don't come on here and post how I can't see how Tyrone could be beat every 30mins doesn't mean I don't think they will win. I've put my views up about how I feel the game will go. If Tyrone can stay with Mayo early on, and be there or there abouts in the last quarter I'd fancy them to win it. It's nothing to do with being a cute hoor, more showing a bit of respect for the team your playing. Neither team got there by accident. Nor is either team there for a jolly.

muppet

Quote from: Rodman on August 21, 2013, 02:53:49 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2013, 01:48:33 PM
Darragh o Se, " Mayo could do a real number on Tyrone"

I'm not alone, phew.

The hype around this Mayo team has far exceeded the hype around any of the Dublin teams over the past 20 years. The pressure on them must be unreal. Talk about the best Mayo team ever and how this game will be a mere training match for them must be seeping through to the players mind. If Mayo do not get a good start and are not at least 4 points up at h/t then they will begin to doubt themselves. If its tight with 20 mins to go, then Mayo will crack. Tyrone will go 2 or 3 up and then close out the game.  As for Tyrone, expectations are low, they have already over achieved this year and there is absolutely no pressure on them. Even the Mayo posters here are beginning to crack and its only Wednesday.

Quote from: Rodman on August 20, 2013, 11:23:09 PM
Do Mayo really merit all this hype.  What have they actually done. Most of the hype comes from their performance against Donegal. Granted, it was a decent performance but I think most teams would have beat Donegal comfortably that day. Individually, Mayo have allot of average footballers. At the end of the day, Mayo are perennial losers, and will most likely bottle it again in the white heat of a battle, which I am sure Tyrone will provide. Make no mistake about it, this will be a tight game. The way Tyrone will set up will ensure that and it won't be pretty.
Sean Cav to rule the roost again, O'Neill to roll back the years with a vintage display, Gormley to get MoM...and Aidan O'shea to get the line. Tyrone by 3.

Quote from: Rodman on May 01, 2013, 09:52:56 PM
Tyrone team that lined out against Donegal last year was: P McConnell, A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin, R McMenamin, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill, J McMahon, C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Mark Donnelly, P Harte, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, O Mulligan

God knows what team Mickey will line out but will be at least 6 changes from that team.( and probably 6 changes for the better) Donegal should have pretty much the same team out again this year. Tyrone were close last year, add in Sean Cavanagh, Niall Morgan, mcaliskey and an on-form SON with the option of springing Mccurry, R O'Neill and Coney from the bench in the 2nd half for a bit of extra fire power then things look allot better for us this year.  Have Donegal progressed from last year?  Do they have the same hunger? Will their first 15 stay injury free (cause they have nothing on the Bench). Maybe, but my money is on Tyrone.

You are consistent.
MWWSI 2017