Started by illdecide, July 15, 2013, 09:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2013, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2013, 08:49:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2013, 08:30:36 PM

Quote from: larryin89 on July 17, 2013, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2013, 05:52:24 PM
A lot of managers with good records haven't been able to mine the 'quaility' you're assuming is there.

Galway are in transition no matter who is standing on the sideline. Mulholland was a messiah two years ago.

Then you show him the road.

No matter how anyone tries to tart it up, Galway played Waterford in Salthill. Galway had Meehan, Conroy and Armstrong along with underage all Ireland u-21 stars, Waterford are a poor div 4 side who lost to the likes of Leitrim/London offaly . They just got out of jail, that doesn't make sense, now as per the aul forums are making all sorts of excuses but i'll tell you this for sure if James Horan was in the Galway job, Waterford would of got a fair hiding.
And if there had been a few Donnellans playing in the AIF last year Mayo would have won.
Galway will be back at some stage and  hopefully Mayo will have added Sam in the meantime.

That's the solution! Sit on your hands and wait for the next generation of 'Donnellans' to drag ye out of the mire.  ;)
I am off to Enniscrone on Saturday for 2 weeks. Dying to go into Ballina to gauge the confidence level. What % nihilism will it be this year ? Low 20s maybe.
Galway never get that worked up, at least not for the football. But Mayo wouldn't be the same without it.   

If you are depending on yer hurlers sure they have as bad a record as us in Losing consecutive finals! Is it six at this stage? But sure no more than us this could be the year!  ;)

illdecide

Quote from: AFS on July 17, 2013, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2013, 04:33:14 PM
Quote from: harlechman on July 17, 2013, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2013, 12:51:21 AM
I see over on orchard county Armagh have named same team for sat evening...if there was going to be a change I'd have thought Stefan Campbell would have been in but its hard to change a winning side. This will be a tough game...Armagh by 1pt.
Having seen him coming on against Wicklow and Leitrim I haven't seen anything to suggest he is worth a starting place. Who would you drop?
I actually thought he done well when he came on against Leitrim and if I had to change him for anyone at the min it would be for e Rafferty. Campbell is a scoring forward and is 2 years ahead of Rafferty in development imo.

Wouldn't be sure about that. Campbell has bright moments that suggest he has the ability to play at county level, but he's yet to really convince. The Leitrim game was typical, a couple of very good moments like when he began the move that lead to one of McVerry's goals, but on the whole he just wasn't busy enough. Rafferty has made better use of the opportunities he's had, although he too is far from the finished article. Campbell probably needs a break like the one McVerry has been given, with two or three consecutive starts in his preferred position.

I agree on some of that alright, Campbell is much more dangerous closer to goal but it looks like mcverry has his place nailed on and Campbell will have to settle for a sub role in the half forward line. when u see what he's capable off each week in club games I believe he'd do it for Armagh too but as u say its about a bit of luck and getting a we run in the team
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seafoid

Reading the Grimley thread is quietly encouraging.
Armagh are nothing special.   

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2013, 08:56:56 AM

They're not, so hopefully Galway can give it one almighty push and manage to topple the Orchard men like ye did against the warriors of the Déise.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

DJGaliv

I don't think the quality is there in Galway at the moment. You can't be in transition for a decade. We have seen the deterioration in the standard of club football in Galway.

I think what Divilly says isn't too far wrong. We don't win the dirty ball. I would put this down to the fact that Galway believe they do have the talent in bucket loads. We don't realise that to win the game first you have to win the battle and then let the footballing skills come through. Not the other way around.

That being said some confidence should have been restored by getting that losing qualifier run off our backs. Armagh don't carry the same fear as 5 years ago, and Galway start as underdogs. There should be a little kick from Galway and some pride restored similarly to Roscommon's mighty performance against Tyrone following their loss to Mayo.
I would say Armagh by 2 points

seafoid

Quote from: Tubberman on July 18, 2013, 09:00:55 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2013, 08:56:56 AM

They're not, so hopefully Galway can give it one almighty push and manage to topple the Orchard men like ye did against the warriors of the Déise.
The great oracle Divilly said it goes in cycles. Thuas seal like Mayo agus thios seal like Galway. Tbh it is more important that mayo win the all ireland.

Syferus

This is the same Divilly that was giving it large in A Year 'Till Sunday saying Galway shouldn't be drawing with Ros after the first match in '98? Y'know, the year they went out and drew with us yet again?

To be honest he seems like he's cut out of the Ray Silke mould of giddy-up punditry. The AIs probably made him ten times worse. For reference, Ray Silke-esque analysis is bellow the D. Brady tier.

myball22

I really don't know what to say being a Galway supporter these days. There is so much wrong it's hard to know where to start. Our management team need to understand that football has changed and is no longer a man on man 6 backs vs 6 forwards open game any more. We need to have some sort of organised defence. At the moment we are too open, teams run through us too easily, our tacklng is lazy and naive. Also we don't seem to be as fit as other teams, we tire more easily. It's one thing not being as physically strong as other teams, it's another not being as fit as other teams.

I think a previous poster made a good point, if we had James Horan as manager things would be different. I think Mulholland is another manager like Brian Kerr, can manage youngsters but out of his depth at senior level. I don't mean any disrespect as he has given his time and effort to better Galway football but we need more at senior level. We need greater organization, fitness and motivation.

I don't think the players can be absolved of blame here. There is such a lack of leadership on the pitch. Only Conroy seems to be taking a leadership role. Some posters are expecting a kick from Galway this weekend. Some of us have been waiting for this kick for 5-6 years. I'm not holding my breath. If Armagh are not complacent and go about things in the right way they should easily, it may not show on the scoreboard but will be visible for everyone there.

illdecide

I'm not playing the soft fella here but Galway are at home to a team u finished above in the league and have two wins under your belt (I know they weren't convincing) and you have a few individual players who for me can more than hold their own. I would genuinely put them on even par with Armagh and can't believe the price the bookies have them at, the two teams that Armagh have beaten to date would have been turned over by a strong senior club side and that's a fact such was the effort they put in. So for me its 1/1 for both teams on sat.

2 weeks ago Paul grimley was useless (according to some posters) just like you guys are saying about Mulholland and now after two big wins against 2 brutal teams he's turned the corner...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on July 18, 2013, 02:52:27 PM
I'm not playing the soft fella here but Galway are at home to a team u finished above in the league and have two wins under your belt (I know they weren't convincing) and you have a few individual players who for me can more than hold their own. I would genuinely put them on even par with Armagh and can't believe the price the bookies have them at, the two teams that Armagh have beaten to date would have been turned over by a strong senior club side and that's a fact such was the effort they put in. So for me its 1/1 for both teams on sat.

2 weeks ago Paul grimley was useless (according to some posters) just like you guys are saying about Mulholland and now after two big wins against 2 brutal teams he's turned the corner...

Personally I think Armagh are somewhere in between where many people think they are and were they actually are.  Coming out off Carrick last weekend I can honestly say I never witnessed as an inept performance at senior level as was produced by Leitrim.  They were simply dreadful and any of the top 8-10 club teams in Ireland would have beaten the team that played last Saturday.  I don't know what to make of Galway but if you stop Meehan you are halfway there.  You could say the same about Armagh but in fairness the supporting cast, with Dyas and TK in particular, are starting to ease the burden on his shoulders which as a result is actually making it harder to mark Jamie as not everything has to go through him now.  Defensively they are a world improved from the Cavan game as has been eveident in only conceding 12 scores in 2 games but I still worry about MF and the defensive side of the HB line.  I would still rather see Toner or Hanratty in there probably in place of Ethan Rafferty to provide the extra MF body as I think that would be the strongest lineout.  If things click for Armagh the confidence is high and they could win with about 4 to spare but that is completely reliant on the MF getting an early grip of things and Dyas and TK getting the space on the ball.  If this does not happen Galway are the sort of team that can get a run on you and hit 7-9 scores without reply and that will make things very interesting.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 18, 2013, 03:03:11 PM

Personally I think Armagh are somewhere in between where many people think they are and were they actually are.  Coming out off Carrick last weekend I can honestly say I never witnessed as an inept performance at senior level as was produced by Leitrim.  They were simply dreadful and any of the top 8-10 club teams in Ireland would have beaten the team that played last Saturday.  I don't know what to make of Galway but if you stop Meehan you are halfway there. 

Meehan isn't even Galway's best player at the moment and may never be again. Paul Conroy has really carried the team in the last two games.

Syferus

Meehan still has a bite in him but stuffing him won't be enough to stop the Galway juggernaut.

I think the time is right for Galway to give Shane Walsh a start and see if he can't give the forwards a jolt. Not much to lose at this point.

naka

Guys
Is this game on tv

Captain Obvious

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 18, 2013, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 18, 2013, 03:03:11 PM

Personally I think Armagh are somewhere in between where many people think they are and were they actually are.  Coming out off Carrick last weekend I can honestly say I never witnessed as an inept performance at senior level as was produced by Leitrim.  They were simply dreadful and any of the top 8-10 club teams in Ireland would have beaten the team that played last Saturday.  I don't know what to make of Galway but if you stop Meehan you are halfway there. 

Meehan isn't even Galway's best player at the moment and may never be again. Paul Conroy has really carried the team in the last two games.

Wasn't Meehan the top scorer against Waterford other Galway forwards need to set up.

The Iceman

I checked with Premium Sports online there and this match is not being televised.
Anyone know if any of the other domestic channels are showing it?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight