Galway v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 15, 2013, 09:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Tribesmen not putting shoulder to the wheel - Divilly
Former player blasts Galway 'not willing to win the dirty ball'
By Cliona Foley

Galway's footballers are somehow still upright in a summer that has rocked them back on their heels more than once, but the visit of Armagh on Saturday is expected to finally push them out of the back door.

Just scraping past Tipperary and Waterford in two previous home qualifiers doesn't augur well, while Mayo – the team that gave them such a hiding in Connacht this summer – are expected to clinch their third provincial title in a row on Sunday.

Former Galway centre-back John Divilly pinpoints the difference: "Mayo have bought into whatever James Horan has said and they are just fighting like dogs for every ball, and we are not at the moment," he says.

"I am not going to say the Galway players don't want it, they do, but they are not willing to win the dirty ball, they are not putting their shoulder to the wheel like they should be.
"There is no point blaming (manager) Alan Mulholland. He is working with what he has, I just don't think the quality is there at the moment, it's as simple as that," the Kilkerrin-Clonberne defender says.
"Everyone knows there were two (All-Ireland-winning) U-21 teams and a couple of minor teams in semi-finals but we are in transition, we are building, they are just not up to the level at the moment, it just happens in cycles."

There is certainly deep frustration locally that a county that has won four All-Ireland U-21 titles (2002, 2005, 2011 and this year) and an All-Ireland minor (2007) have not reaped any dividends at senior level, underlining the theory that there is now a huge gap between U-21 and senior standards – but Divilly doesn't buy that.
"No I don't think so, that's just thrown out there every now and then but it's not true," he exclaims.
"If you are good enough you can play at any age.'The Gooch' has shown that and look at Dublin's Ciaran Kilkenny, Paul Mannion and Jack McCaffrey this summer.
"Galway are just not ready for it yet. We just have to suck it up and keep working and working and working and our day will come again. It's just a step too far for us for a year or two."

Divilly sees one critical difference between Galway's current team and the one that won All-Irelands in 1998 and 2001 – back then there was a spine of experienced men to shepherd his own cohort through when they first arrived on the scene.
"We were lucky that when we came in there were nearly two senior guys in every line," he points out.
"I had Sean Og de Paor and Ray Silke in the half-backs; Tomas Meehan had Tomas Mannion and Gary Fahey; Padraic Joyce had Niall Finnegan; and Michael Donnellan had Ja Fallon beside him.
"They were around the block, they were leaders and they made things a lot easier for us and those leaders aren't there at the moment, I suppose.
"To be fair to the young lads, there is nothing they can do. Padraic (Joyce) and Joe Bergin are gone now, that bit of extra leadership is gone. It is all falling back on Michael Meehan, who has been brilliant."

But, apart from home advantage for the third consecutive time, he believes Galway have one other advantage this weekend: lack of expectation.
"Teams from a lower division like Tipperary and Waterford are always going to throw the kitchen sink at Galway, and they did and were unlucky. Now Armagh will be heavy favourites and maybe we can produce an unbelievable display."

Irish Independent
Wednesday 17 July 2013

illdecide

Quote from: harlechman on July 17, 2013, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2013, 12:51:21 AM
I see over on orchard county Armagh have named same team for sat evening...if there was going to be a change I'd have thought Stefan Campbell would have been in but its hard to change a winning side. This will be a tough game...Armagh by 1pt.
Having seen him coming on against Wicklow and Leitrim I haven't seen anything to suggest he is worth a starting place. Who would you drop?

I actually thought he done well when he came on against Leitrim and if I had to change him for anyone at the min it would be for e Rafferty. Campbell is a scoring forward and is 2 years ahead of Rafferty in development imo.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

larryin89

"I am not going to say the Galway players don't want it, they do, but they are not willing to win the dirty ball, they are not putting their shoulder to the wheel like they should be.
"There is no point blaming (manager) Alan Mulholland. He is working with what he has, I just don't think the quality is there at the moment, it's as simple as that," the Kilkerrin-Clonberne defender says.
"Everyone knows there were two (All-Ireland-winning) U-21 teams and a couple of minor teams in semi-finals but we are in transition, we are building, they are just not up to the level at the moment, it just happens in cycles."

I find this paragraph full of contradiction tbh. If the bold part is true and i agree it is, then the manager is not up to it , he is there to get them motivated and get them to put their shoulder to the wheel. Then he says the quality isn't there.

I'm afraid the quality is there and an awful of it, manager is a bad one and add in the fact that Galway have yet to adopt to the modern game, its going to be a struggle. Could still beat Armagh though, value at 2/1. Smoother Clarke out and you takeaway alot of Armaghs danger but will Galway have the cop on to act.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

A lot of managers with good records haven't been able to mine the 'quaility' you're assuming is there.

Galway are in transition no matter who is standing on the sideline. Mulholland was a messiah two years ago.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 17, 2013, 04:13:39 PM

Divilly sees one critical difference between Galway's current team and the one that won All-Irelands in 1998 and 2001 – back then there was a spine of experienced men to shepherd his own cohort through when they first arrived on the scene.
"We were lucky that when we came in there were nearly two senior guys in every line," he points out.
"I had Sean Og de Paor and Ray Silke in the half-backs; Tomas Meehan had Tomas Mannion and Gary Fahey; Padraic Joyce had Niall Finnegan; and Michael Donnellan had Ja Fallon beside him.
"They were around the block, they were leaders and they made things a lot easier for us and those leaders aren't there at the moment

Thats the main bit to take out of that article. Galway don't have experienced men or leaders anymore.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 17, 2013, 06:10:37 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 17, 2013, 04:13:39 PM

"They were around the block, they were leaders and they made things a lot easier for us and those leaders aren't there at the moment

Thats the main bit to take out of that article. Galway don't have experienced men or leaders anymore.

I remember in the early 90s talking to one of Tomas Mannion's sisters who said that the criticism the footballers were getting at the time was very unfair. They were not very good then either. But it goes in cycles and within a few years they won a connacht title and then the all Ireland. Experience comes with losing as well as winning. Ja and co learnt a lot on the bad days.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2013, 05:52:24 PM
A lot of managers with good records haven't been able to mine the 'quaility' you're assuming is there.

Galway are in transition no matter who is standing on the sideline. Mulholland was a messiah two years ago.

Then you show him the road.

No matter how anyone tries to tart it up, Galway played Waterford in Salthill. Galway had Meehan, Conroy and Armstrong along with underage all Ireland u-21 stars, Waterford are a poor div 4 side who lost to the likes of Leitrim/London offaly . They just got out of jail, that doesn't make sense, now as per the aul forums are making all sorts of excuses but i'll tell you this for sure if James Horan was in the Galway job, Waterford would of got a fair hiding.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on July 17, 2013, 06:58:40 PM

No matter how anyone tries to tart it up, Galway played Waterford in Salthill. Galway had Meehan, Conroy and Armstrong along with underage all Ireland u-21 stars, Waterford are a poor div 4 side who lost to the likes of Leitrim/London offaly . They just got out of jail, that doesn't make sense, now as per the aul forums are making all sorts of excuses but i'll tell you this for sure if James Horan was in the Galway job, Waterford would of got a fair hiding.

Meehan hasn't been the same player since injury but probably Galways best forward has Armstrong ever made the step to senior level? while Conroy was one of the 2007 minors early 20s now and hardly a leader.

James Horan had to struggle through a few games (London,Roscommon,Sligo) himself before making Mayo what they are today.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 17, 2013, 07:15:14 PM

Meehan hasn't been the same player since injury but probably Galways best forward has Armstrong ever made the step to senior level? while Conroy was one of the 2007 minors early 20s now and hardly a leader.

In fairness I would say that Conroy is one of the leaders in the team now even though he's still a young man himself. He had a mighty game against Waterford and Galway would have undoubtedly been beaten only for him.

seafoid

And if there had been a few Donnellans playing in the AIF last year Mayo would have won.
Galway will be back at some stage and  hopefully Mayo will have added Sam in the meantime.

Wildweasel74

Galway i feel should be in a better position than they are, 2 u-21 winning teams is a very good head start, it put Tyrone on the map when their teams started to come though. leadership is a problem, you need a leader in every line, 2 of Galway more senior player saw the line against mayo, so who else is there to stand up and be counted. there no point putting pressure on Meehan, that lad just lucky to be playing fball, he need other lads standing up and take the pressure of him, Galway have a fairly large playing base compared to most countries, so they have to identify players to fill key positions nxt yr!! I dont think this current team and there non-driven attitude will be enough to over come Armagh

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2013, 08:30:36 PM

And if there had been a few Donnellans playing in the AIF last year Mayo would have won.
Galway will be back at some stage and  hopefully Mayo will have added Sam in the meantime.

That's the solution! Sit on your hands and wait for the next generation of 'Donnellans' to drag ye out of the mire.  ;)

Orior

Quote from: AFS on July 17, 2013, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2013, 04:33:14 PM
Quote from: harlechman on July 17, 2013, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2013, 12:51:21 AM
I see over on orchard county Armagh have named same team for sat evening...if there was going to be a change I'd have thought Stefan Campbell would have been in but its hard to change a winning side. This will be a tough game...Armagh by 1pt.
Having seen him coming on against Wicklow and Leitrim I haven't seen anything to suggest he is worth a starting place. Who would you drop?
I actually thought he done well when he came on against Leitrim and if I had to change him for anyone at the min it would be for e Rafferty. Campbell is a scoring forward and is 2 years ahead of Rafferty in development imo.

Wouldn't be sure about that. Campbell has bright moments that suggest he has the ability to play at county level, but he's yet to really convince. The Leitrim game was typical, a couple of very good moments like when he began the move that lead to one of McVerry's goals, but on the whole he just wasn't busy enough. Rafferty has made better use of the opportunities he's had, although he too is far from the finished article. Campbell probably needs a break like the one McVerry has been given, with two or three consecutive starts in his preferred position.

I thought the player under most threat after Saturday was one of the corner backs.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2013, 08:49:29 PM

That's the solution! Sit on your hands and wait for the next generation of 'Donnellans' to drag ye out of the mire.  ;)
I am off to Enniscrone on Saturday for 2 weeks. Dying to go into Ballina to gauge the confidence level. What % nihilism will it be this year ? Low 20s maybe.
Galway never get that worked up, at least not for the football. But Mayo wouldn't be the same without it.   

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2013, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2013, 08:49:29 PM

I am off to Enniscrone on Saturday for 2 weeks. Dying to go into Ballina to gauge the confidence level. What % nihilism will it be this year ? Low 20s maybe.
Galway never get that worked up, at least not for the football. But Mayo wouldn't be the same without it.   

Everyone in Ballina and surrounding areas are too hot to think these days.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.