CSFC SF - Money v London

Started by theticklemister, May 28, 2013, 11:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

So who will you go for, the money in the Connacht final if Leitrim progress or the potential loss of earnings if London get to the final?

muppet

Poor old London isn't the story when they record their biggest win in decades, Kevin Walsh is, and now the story if they get to the Final is bloody money!

C'mon London!
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Leitrim hardly have a massive support either. The publicity this would get for the game in England would be great and may in the long run be better than a couple of extra thousand people attending the final. Alternatively, play the final at Ruislip?
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 28, 2013, 12:12:39 PM
Leitrim hardly have a massive support either. The publicity this would get for the game in England will be great and may in the long run be better than a couple of extra thousand people attending the final. Alternatively, play the final at Ruislip?

Steady on there!
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2013, 12:19:53 PM
Leitrim hardly have a massive support either. The publicity this would get for the game in England will be great and may in the long run be better than a couple of extra thousand people attending the final. Alternatively, play the final at Ruislip?

Steady on there!

Sorry, I forgot the  ;D there

theticklemister

Steady on there!

Yer wan of those guys aren't ye........................................? Go far, but don't go that far.

magpie seanie

Money is always the story in Connacht.

muppet

Quote from: theticklemister on May 28, 2013, 12:23:03 PM

Steady on there!

Yer wan of those guys aren't ye........................................? Go far, but don't go that far.

I might get to the Final (if we get there) if it is in Connacht, much less chance if it is in London. Simples.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 28, 2013, 01:27:38 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 28, 2013, 12:23:03 PM

Steady on there!

I might get to the Final (if we get there) if it is in Connacht, much less chance if it is in London. Simples.

Don't worry you head, you won't be there.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2013, 12:49:06 PM
Mr Prenty ( God bless yer honour ) was in the Examiner supplement last week talking about how well Connacht GAA does in punching above its weight etc given its small population.
He also made the point that there are just 4 paydays for the Conn Council i.e the 4 Senior championship games played in Ireland. No hurling gates and no Dublin cash cow.
That funds an awful lot of GAA activities.
This year Leitrim/London as opposed to Leitrim/Sligo will mean a drop of attendance of 4/5,000 @ average €20 per head.
A Mwr/London Final in Hyde Park would be lucky to get 8,000 - 10/11 if we were in the Minors as opposed to 18 to 21k with Laythrum. ( 10,000@ 30 average)
By the way Bennyharp - I take it your not from Connacht - Lm in a Final WILL bring a huge crowd.
I'm not sure how London getting tanked in a Connacht Final would promote GAA in london as 98% of the population there won't even be remotely aware there's such a game or where Connacht is and no doubt would be totally confused if they were told the game is in Hyde Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Quote from: Rossfan on May 28, 2013, 02:29:57 PM
Mr Prenty ( God bless yer honour ) was in the Examiner supplement last week talking about how well Connacht GAA does in punching above its weight etc given its small population.
He also made the point that there are just 4 paydays for the Conn Council i.e the 4 Senior championship games played in Ireland. No hurling gates and no Dublin cash cow.
This year Leitrim/London as opposed to Leitrim/Sligo will mean a drop of attendance of 4/5,000 @ average €20 per head.
A Mwr/London Final in Hyde Park would be lucky to get 8,000 - 10/11 if we were in the Minors as opposed to 18 to 21k with Laythrum. ( 10,000@ 30 average)
By the way Bennyharp - I take it your not from Connacht - Lm in a Final WILL bring a huge crowd.
I'm not sure how London getting tanked in a Connacht Final would promote GAA in london as 98% of the population there won't even be remotely aware there's such a game or where Connacht is and no doubt would be totally confused if they were told the game is in Hyde Park.

Was this in code??

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on May 28, 2013, 02:29:57 PM

First of all, i dont need to be from Connacht to know that Leitrim will not bring enough fans to significantly improve the provincial council's financial position, so to me the financial situation regarding the final is not a major argument. Secondly, you must never have played football outside of Ireland if you don't think that London reaching a provincial final will be a boost to the development of the game in England or elsewhere abroad as it shows what can be achieved if the right structures are put in place. This would be a boost to every junior club in Britain who may have ambitions of getting to Croke Park in the Junior Club Championship as it shows success against Irish teams is achieveable.  Yes 98% of the population will be unaware but for the 2% who are, it's still a major population of people. There is 8.2m people in London, if your 2% estimation is correct then 164,000 approx people will be interested in this. The whole population of Leitrim as of the 2011 census was 31,798 - you do the maths!!

Rossfan

You obviously DO NOT understand the following Leitrim will get when they get to the CF.

As well as a significant percentage of the 31,000 who live in the County an even greater percentage of the Diaspora around Ireland will also turn up.
London will bring 500?? Leitrim 7,000. As well as that only the most committed rhus will waste money on going to see a non event.
So a Mwr/Lm Connacht final would likely bring 18,000 (or 21,000 if our minoreens make it)
A Mwr/London game would be lucky to get 7,000 ( 10 if we get to the minors)
That would represent a drop of around 33% of the C.C's income

Maths done thank you.  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

To be fair, proportionally Leitrim are possibly the best supported county in Ireland. They are GAA mad there.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2013, 11:07:05 AM
You obviously DO NOT understand the following Leitrim will get when they get to the CF.

As well as a significant percentage of the 31,000 who live in the County an even greater percentage of the Diaspora around Ireland will also turn up.
London will bring 500?? Leitrim 7,000. As well as that only the most committed rhus will waste money on going to see a non event.
So a Mwr/Lm Connacht final would likely bring 18,000 (or 21,000 if our minoreens make it)
A Mwr/London game would be lucky to get 7,000 ( 10 if we get to the minors)
That would represent a drop of around 33% of the C.C's income

Maths done thank you.  ;)

Leitrim v Mayo (most likely) will be as much a non event as London v Mayo. The impact of a non Irish team in a provincial final is massive. The interest this will engender in the national media both here and in England and the associated boost to the game abroad will, in the long run be more beneficial to our organisation than a few extra thousand people in an equally one sided final between two Connacht teams, which will create very little interest outside the counties involved.

Narrow mindedness like yours shows why the GAA will never grow internationally to the extent that it should. The small time view that we need a few extra people at a Connacht final is better than an unprecedented opportunity to promote the game to a mass market overseas is disappointing.