CSFC SF - Money v London

Started by theticklemister, May 28, 2013, 11:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Ah here, I think it'd be great to see London in the final but it'd be nothing more than a local human interest story outside Ireland. The exposure and effects would be minimal.

armaghniac

QuoteLeitrim v Mayo (most likely) will be as much a non event as London v Mayo. The impact of a non Irish team in a provincial final is massive. The interest this will engender in the national media both here and in England and the associated boost to the game abroad will, in the long run be more beneficial to our organisation than a few extra thousand people in an equally one sided final between two Connacht teams, which will create very little interest outside the counties involved.

Interest in the national media here will be no great help. It will get no attention in England.
As for the income aspect.
How many players on the London team came up through the underage system in London?
How many players on the London team came up through the underage system in Connacht?

Even the London team would benefit more from Connacht getting revenue!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2013, 12:51:44 PM
Ah here, I think it'd be great to see London in the final but it'd be nothing more than a local human interest story outside Ireland. The exposure and effects would be minimal.

Probably true but the interest amongst ex-pats would be huge and could provide inspiration to those toiling away at the game over here. Would Lancashire believe they could eventually challenge London? And then perhaps challenge to get to a Connacht final? This may give that county the belief that in a few years they could be involved. Would we, in a few years, have a realistic British championship to provide a team to go forward into the All Ireland? Numbers are increasing in Britain and I just think that this could provide a boost to lads to throw their weight behind their adopted county and you never know where it might lead. Or do we just continue to trudge along like we are, scraping the few pounds we can find to keep the status quo in place. I'm probably wildly optimistic about what is achievable but I believe there is massive potential for the game overseas but there s no driver behind it. This could, just possibly, provide that driver! But then your probably right, Leitrim v Mayo is mouth watering!
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 29, 2013, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2013, 12:51:44 PM

Probably true but the interest amongst ex-pats would be huge and could provide inspiration to those toiling away at the game over here. Would Lancashire believe they could eventually challenge London? And then perhaps challenge to get to a Connacht final? This may give that county the belief that in a few years they could be involved. Would we, in a few years, have a realistic British championship to provide a team to go forward into the All Ireland? Numbers are increasing in Britain and I just think that this could provide a boost to lads to throw their weight behind their adopted county and you never know where it might lead. Or do we just continue to trudge along like we are, scraping the few pounds we can find to keep the status quo in place. I'm probably wildly optimistic about what is achievable but I believe there is massive potential for the game overseas but there s no driver behind it. This could, just possibly, provide that driver! But then your probably right, Leitrim v Mayo is mouth watering!

+ 100.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 29, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
Leitrim v Mayo (most likely) will be as much a non event as London v Mayo.
an equally one sided final between two Connacht teams, which will create very little interest outside the counties involved.

unprecedented opportunity to promote the game to a mass market overseas is disappointing.
You don't understand Leitrim or its people or Connacht or its GAA folk. It may be a one sided game but the proud folk of that County will still turn up in unprecedented numbers to see their team in the Final and if we make the Minor final you can add at least 3,000 more.
And no need to be insulting the Gaels of Leitrim either.
Having Mayowr beat London by 20+ points in a 3 Quarter empty Hyde will appeal to no "mass market overseas".
Much better to make the real Championship games available to Terrestrial Free to air TV channels around the world.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Why then do we let New York or London compete????????????????? Hope to God they stay in their box and get defeated each year?? By the looks of it a lot of people are thinking like this. A lot of people believe that the GAA stops at the sea; it does not.

I don't think  nobody questioned the GAA in Leitrim. They are a great bunch of GAA lads and may the best team win in the semis.

Another acid question............... will RTE cover this game? They always cover provincial semi-finals do they not?

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2013, 01:48:24 PM
an equally one sided final between two Connacht teams, which will create very little interest outside the counties involved.

unprecedented opportunity to promote the game to a mass market overseas is disappointing.
You don't understand Leitrim or its people or Connacht or its GAA folk. It may be a one sided game but the proud folk of that County will still turn up in unprecedented numbers to see their team in the Final and if we make the Minor final you can add at least 3,000 more.
Having Mayowr beat London by 20+ points in a 3 Quarter empty Hyde will appeal to no "mass market overseas".
Much better to make the real Championship games available to Terrestrial Free to air TV channels around the world.

Would you ever stop acting like Roscommon/Connacht/anything is one homogenous group? The vast majority of people I've heard (and seen post) would love to see London make the final and have little regard for transient financial concerns.

BennyHarp

Where did I insult the Gaels of Leitrim? Your narrow minded views could be regarded as insulting to the thousands of people coaching, playing and administering the game overseas. The lack of respect given to these people by certain people at home (like yourself) is from a position of no knowledge of what's actually going on which is the most disappointing thing. What do you mean by "real" championship games anyway? You mean like Cork's hammering of Limerick? Or maybe Kerry's hammering of Tipp or perhaps Mayo's hammering of Galway?

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2013, 02:04:06 PM
The vast majority of people I've heard (and seen post) would love to see London make the final and have little regard for transient financial concerns.

Just because your mammy and daddy and your classmates' parents pay all your bills  ::) ::)
You'll understand Finance and money and bills when you grow up gasúinín.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 29, 2013, 02:06:23 PM

Where did I insult the Gaels of Leitrim?
see above plus your earlier comment that aLeitrim wouldn't bring many more to a game than London.
Your narrow minded views could be regarded as insulting to the thousands of people coaching, playing and administering the game overseas. The lack of respect given to these people by certain people at home (like yourself) is from a position of no knowledge of what's actually going on which is the most disappointing thing.
How is it narrow minded or disrectful  to say the truth - i.e that London making the CF would result in a major drop in Revenue for the Connacht Council which was my original point
What do you mean by "real" championship games anyway? You mean like Cork's hammering of Limerick? Or maybe Kerry's hammering of Tipp or perhaps Mayo's hammering of Galway?
Good man - pick 3 games to suit your argument. Laois v Louth, Wicklow v Longford, Donegal v Tyrone plus about 60 or 70 more good competitive games in football and hurling to come.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2013, 02:42:36 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 29, 2013, 02:06:23 PM

Where did I insult the Gaels of Leitrim?
see above plus your earlier comment that aLeitrim wouldn't bring many more to a game than London.
Your narrow minded views could be regarded as insulting to the thousands of people coaching, playing and administering the game overseas. The lack of respect given to these people by certain people at home (like yourself) is from a position of no knowledge of what's actually going on which is the most disappointing thing.
How is it narrow minded or disrectful  to say the truth - i.e that London making the CF would result in a major drop in Revenue for the Connacht Council which was my original point
What do you mean by "real" championship games anyway? You mean like Cork's hammering of Limerick? Or maybe Kerry's hammering of Tipp or perhaps Mayo's hammering of Galway?
Good man - pick 3 games to suit your argument. Laois v Louth, Wicklow v Longford, Donegal v Tyrone plus about 60 or 70 more good competitive games in football and hurling to come.

Your very touchy if you think that's an insult - especially when you are patronisingly speaking about another county.

You are narrow minded because you plainly have no clue about football overseas and the matches I picked out are just a sample from the past fortnight - two of which were shown live by RTE. Are you saying that because a team may get beat by 10+ points that the game shouldn't be considered a real championship match? I assume you will be expecting Galway, Limerick and Tipp games to be excluded for next years TV schedules? God forbid Mayo put a big score up against Roscommon? Just for your info by the way, London took Mayo to extra time a few years ago.

Rossfan

You still accuse me of being narrow minded " because I have no clue of football overseas".
Jaysus help  ::)
I know there are loads of ex pat Irish doing great work in keeping Gaelic games going and fair play to them etc. but that still doesn't alter the fact that if London get to the CF the Connacht Council will lose 33% of its annual revenue.
I still believe that allowing GAA Championship games to be shown on free to air TV will do more to promote GAA interest/knowledge around the world than a League of Nations exile team getting slaughtered in a CF.
If you think different -good for you -that does not make either of us narrow minded - unless you're one of those who think that anyone with a different opinion is just being narrow minded. ???
I would think being narrow minded would be to say - throw London and NY out of the Connacht Championship

Lone Shark

Lads, like a lot of people on this board, but unlike the majority all the same, I've played football in London. I was at a very low level admittedly, but in my time with Towers I saw that the commitment to the cause from the lads involved was as deep as is the case anywhere - perhaps more so, because you don't have a community all around you who gives you respect and gratitude for your time and energy.

I'm delighted for those that are involved, and I'd be quite happy to see them reach a Connacht final - though on the opposite side of the coin, I'd be delighted for Leitrim too, another team towards which I'd say no-one has any ill will.

And if this was in the context of an era when the GAA was awash with money all round, or when the Connacht council would have made provision for this, then I'd say that London's success was a good news story all across the board. However it's naive to say high-minded things like how the integrity of the sport should come first, and how distasteful it is to be talking about grubby matters like finances. That all sounds great, but these bills have to be paid and when costs are being cut to suit in Connacht next year, I've no doubt that plenty of vested interests would all of a sudden be very interested in finances.

Remember too that Connacht is far more dependent on their gate receipts for the big day than any other province. Admittedly the Leinster council might love to see Dublin going well, but regardless of who contests the Leinster football final, there will be over 50,000 people there. Ulster will get good crowds the full way through the series and will probably fill out Clones/Casement for any likely final pairing, while Munster is all about the hurling championship, even though a Cork vs Kerry final is a big deal.

London making progress is a great thing and long may it continue, but that progress will come at a price and it would be foolish to pretend otherwise. It's easy to be generous with another man's money, and it's fierce easy to say that the Connacht Council shouldn't be concerned about this. It's a lot tougher for the Connacht Council to say it.

Blowitupref

Was around 7,000 at the last Sligo v Leitrim championship game i think if this London v Leitrim game is promoted right it can get around the same attendance. Leitrim reached the 1994,2000 Connacht finals both games drew big crowds to Hyde park and likewise will happen if they reach it this year however the attendance will be hit by about 10,000 if London reach it.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

It's amazing that people were taking 'all' this money that we get from four 'big days' for granted when we were playing a sport where results are as changeable as the wind. Don't build your house on quicksand and then complain then the floor caves in.