1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 09, 2013, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 09, 2013, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 09, 2013, 11:04:18 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 09, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
Niall Buckley was a serious player.

Alas life doesn't always work out the way you want it and Niall found himself having to take the road to America, still in Chicago as far as I know not sure if he's still involved with St Brendan's over there.

Still over there alright

He was some player alright. He was an unreal minor as well. I met him in Chicago back in 2000 I'd say, himself and Johnny McDonald. We swapped a few war stories and had a couple of pints.

What was the name of the minor full forward or half forward back then, 1991. He played soccer with Edenderry, and  I think he was from Carbury? Tom Sullivan or something? He scored a penalty in the Leinster Minor final of 1991 I think.

Tom Sullivan is a Carbury man alright. He was still playing with their B team last year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

OakleafCounty

Seamie McQuillan was crap and had an even worse attitude. Shouldn't be within a million miles of that list. Other players who shouldn't be there are Paul Brewster, Brian McGilligan, Dermot McCabe, Fergal Doc and Anthony Molloy.

Also, for the best part of their careers Dermot Early, Cairan McManus and Enda Muldoon were not midfielders.

As for the best. Take your pick between Tohill and O'Sé with an honorable mention to Nicholas Murphy for pure fielding ability and the immovable John McDermott.

Will never forget McDermotts performance against Armagh in 99. Armagh tried to win that game through intimidation but McDermott was having none of it and practically took them all on himself.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 09, 2013, 01:58:02 PM

Alas life doesn't always work out the way you want it and Niall found himself having to take the road to America, still in Chicago as far as I know not sure if he's still involved with St Brendan's over there.

Still over there alright

He was some player alright. He was an unreal minor as well. I met him in Chicago back in 2000 I'd say, himself and Johnny McDonald. We swapped a few war stories and had a couple of pints.

What was the name of the minor full forward or half forward back then, 1991. He played soccer with Edenderry, and  I think he was from Carbury? Tom Sullivan or something? He scored a penalty in the Leinster Minor final of 1991 I think.

Tom Sullivan is a Carbury man alright. He was still playing with their B team last year.

That was a great minor team by Kildare standards, always remember Dom Cribben from Clane breaking lads up for fun, beast of a lad at that age level, think some poor Mayo minor had to be stretchered off in the AI semi.
#newbridgeornowhere

stephenite

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 09, 2013, 02:39:05 PM

Still over there alright

That was a great minor team by Kildare standards, always remember Dom Cribben from Clane breaking lads up for fun, beast of a lad at that age level, think some poor Mayo minor had to be stretchered off in the AI semi.

Who won the game?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: stephenite on May 09, 2013, 02:52:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 09, 2013, 02:39:05 PM

Still over there alright

Who won the game?

Kildare.
#newbridgeornowhere

blanketattack

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 09, 2013, 12:47:29 AM
How does one vote?

Find it incredible that Niall Buckley has so little of the vote..thought he was a fantastic player.

Tohill was  one of my favourite players growing up..a fantatically skillful player for his size and position.

Darragh has to be no.1 though. No midfielder influenced more big games to the degree he did over such an extended period. A man
I was privileged to share a pitch with (although not so much at the time!) and watch for so long. I always think a picture paints a thousand words so..

This is where he's above all others - I make it 32 Championship games that he played at 1/4 final level or beyond (30 in Croke Park). No other midfielder comes anywhere near those stats. Definitely unsurpassed at the business end of Championship.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2013, 10:25:42 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 08, 2013, 09:49:50 PM
I missed Greg McCartan; my apoligies. He played to about 2000 didn't he?
He threw a ball at Brian McGuigan in 2003.

Also did Paddy Logan's cruciate with a sneaky trip while he was attempting to take a free kick.

rosnarun

no only was daragh o sé the best midfielder but was the best gaelic footballer of his Era too,
I remember thinking against Limerick one year as he was pulling ball down from a foot over the bar he probably would have bee the best full bacl or Goalie too if he was asked to.
fitzgerald and canavan were more skillful but daragh was a far more complete player, M donnelan would be the only player to come close
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

'Most complete player' would be an interesting thread on its own.
The idea being you pick a player you think could have played in multiple positions (or DID play in multiple positions) at the highest level.
Guess who I'd vote for?  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

nrico2006

Quote from: rosnarun on May 09, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
no only was daragh o sé the best midfielder but was the best gaelic footballer of his Era too,
I remember thinking against Limerick one year as he was pulling ball down from a foot over the bar he probably would have bee the best full bacl or Goalie too if he was asked to.
fitzgerald and canavan were more skillful but daragh was a far more complete player, M donnelan would be the only player to come close

I remember the Limerick game when O'Se pulled a few from over the bar, but even with my Tyrone bias I there wasn't a fault in Tohills game. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lynchbhoy

Some strange maybe parocial votes there imo.

john mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

Cant believe Dermot McCabe didnt get any votes or Fergal Doherty or McGilligan.

feck sake - niall buckley - a decent to good player alright at best - but a lad from our club at u21 destroyed him in the air catching over him all day and scored 7 pts on him. That was the year or the year after buckley had been nominated for an all star.Beat him up a stick any time he marked nuxer. Martin Lynch good player but never a forward where they played him. Tom Sullivan , lovely lad -better at soccer, questionable if not miserable taste in women.

McHale wasnt even the best midfielder in Mayo - Pat Fallon for the short time he was on the team was a farr better player. McHale a good fielder.

some of those other selections are crazy.

apart from McCabe, Doherty or McGilligan - who else out of that list could mark Tohill or O'Se ?

nrico2006

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 09, 2013, 04:23:44 PM
Some strange maybe parocial votes there imo.

john mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

Cant believe Dermot McCabe didnt get any votes or Fergal Doherty or McGilligan.

feck sake - niall buckley - a decent to good player alright at best - but a lad from our club at u21 destroyed him in the air catching over him all day and scored 7 pts on him. That was the year or the year after buckley had been nominated for an all star.Beat him up a stick any time he marked nuxer. Martin Lynch good player but never a forward where they played him. Tom Sullivan , lovely lad -better at soccer, questionable if not miserable taste in women.

McHale wasnt even the best midfielder in Mayo - Pat Fallon for the short time he was on the team was a farr better player. McHale a good fielder.

some of those other selections are crazy.

apart from McCabe, Doherty or McGilligan - who else out of that list could mark Tohill or O'Se ?

Cavanagh, O'se and Tohill are the top 3.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

Kevin Walsh actually did well on both. Was injured in 2000 and came on as a sub in the first AI final and immediately won the next 3 kickouts over O'Se, while playing on one good leg. Helped turn the game around as Galway were getting eaten at midfield before that. Did very well on Tohill too when they met in 98 and 01. Always underrated though was Kevin as you can tell by his paltry 3 votes in the poll.

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 09, 2013, 03:23:41 PM
'Most complete player' would be an interesting thread on its own.
The idea being you pick a player you think could have played in multiple positions (or DID play in multiple positions) at the highest level.
Guess who I'd vote for?  ;D

Me too.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 09, 2013, 04:57:56 PM

Kevin Walsh actually did well on both. Was injured in 2000 and came on as a sub in the first AI final and immediately won the next 3 kickouts over O'Se, while playing on one good leg. Helped turn the game around as Galway were getting eaten at midfield before that. Did very well on Tohill too when they met in 98 and 01. Always underrated though was Kevin as you can tell by his paltry 3 votes in the poll.
Walsh was a decent midfielder and really came into his own near the end of his career, but he was no Bryan Moylan !