3 (7%)
Ciaran McManus (Offaly)
0 (0%)
Niall Buckley (Kildare)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 09, 2013, 04:23:44 PM
Some strange maybe parocial votes there imo.

john mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

Cant believe Dermot McCabe didnt get any votes or Fergal Doherty or McGilligan.

feck sake - niall buckley - a decent to good player alright at best - but a lad from our club at u21 destroyed him in the air catching over him all day and scored 7 pts on him. That was the year or the year after buckley had been nominated for an all star.Beat him up a stick any time he marked nuxer. Martin Lynch good player but never a forward where they played him. Tom Sullivan , lovely lad -better at soccer, questionable if not miserable taste in women.

McHale wasnt even the best midfielder in Mayo - Pat Fallon for the short time he was on the team was a farr better player. McHale a good fielder.

some of those other selections are crazy.

apart from McCabe, Doherty or McGilligan - who else out of that list could mark Tohill or O'Se ?

;D
Whatever about Tohill, big John Mc made bits of O'Sé in 2001.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Quotejohn mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

That final was 2000 if I'm not mistaken.

The other time was earlier than that? 1995? I remember Colm Coyle having a bad game that day but not John Mc. I remember Derry's free taker crucifying us because of the former's ill discipline. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

theticklemister

That final was in clones and tohill did a toey tapy kind of goal. Soft techinque from the big man

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thejuice on May 09, 2013, 05:42:54 PM
Quotejohn mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

The other time was earlier than that? 1995? I remember Colm Coyle having a bad game that day but not John Mc. I remember Derry's free taker crucifying us because of the former's ill discipline.
From recollection the other incident was later than that league final.
Tohill had no prob with McDermott generally, but on those two occasions his destruction of McDermott was somewhat surprising for me as Anto generally wasn't that physical but he combined his sublime skills with the he-man capabilities of the retired big boot mcgilligan and really made McDermott look like a minor ! I'm not joking when I use the phrase ' threw him around like a rag doll'.

McDermott was tough and game but for me prob wouldn't make my top 3 Meath midfielders in the past 25 years - McEntee , PJ gillic and cassels were better all round with Colm Brady better as the more modern style midfielder ( fecked with his knee inj - great to see him back as Meath trainer)

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 10, 2013, 12:33:37 PM

Tohill had no prob with McDermott generally, but on those two occasions his destruction of McDermott was somewhat surprising for me as Anto generally wasn't that physical but he combined his sublime skills with the he-man capabilities of the retired big boot mcgilligan and really made McDermott look like a minor ! I'm not joking when I use the phrase ' threw him around like a rag doll'.

McDermott was tough and game but for me prob wouldn't make my top 3 Meath midfielders in the past 25 years - McEntee , PJ gillic and cassels were better all round with Colm Brady better as the more modern style midfielder ( fecked with his knee inj - great to see him back as Meath trainer)

I know it's Friday and all but you really shouldn't be drinking before lunch.

muppet

john mcdermott - never forget him being thrown around like a rag doll by Tohill in the NFL league final (I think it was) and again in a NFL game in navan.

feck sake - niall buckley - a decent to good player alright at best - but a lad from our club at u21 destroyed him in the air catching over him all day and scored 7 pts on him. That was the year or the year after buckley had been nominated for an all star.Beat him up a stick any time he marked nuxer. Martin Lynch good player but never a forward where they played him. Tom Sullivan , lovely lad -better at soccer, questionable if not miserable taste in women.

McHale wasnt even the best midfielder in Mayo - Pat Fallon for the short time he was on the team was a farr better player. McHale a good fielder.

apart from McCabe, Doherty or McGilligan - who else out of that list could mark Tohill or O'Se ?

You will do well to find a single Mayo supporter to buy that. Pat had a great year for Mayo in 1997. But McHale was the man from 1988 to 1996.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2013, 08:22:52 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 10, 2013, 12:33:37 PM

I know it's Friday and all but you really shouldn't be drinking before lunch.
its imo and imo all mcdermott had was a great catch. he couldnt kick fackin snow of a rope let alone score many points and he was too often a headless chicken.
His biggest attribute was to bully his opponent if the ref let him away with it or if he was up against the likes of McGilligan, Tohill or walsh in intercounty or Terry Lyons or Gillic in club games.
Mcdermott was over rated and I'd pick McEntee, Gillic and Hayes ahead of mcdermott and in the current game, the clever fast moving fast thinking Brady would run rings around him.
I played against some of these in club football and I am only going by what I saw on the pitch.
You couldnt get near Brady or Gillic. You only had to hang round the middle of the pitch v McDermott (though I couldnt stop him in the air) as he was no threat going forward.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on May 10, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

You will do well to find a single Mayo supporter to buy that. Pat had a great year for Mayo in 1997. But McHale was the man from 1988 to 1996.
common consensus amongst the mayo contingent (some ex mayo players) playing for civil service that time Fallon played his heart out in the all Ireland final loss. Maybe it was jealousy against McHale, but fallon was a clever player.
Myself and some mayo pals had supper/breakfast with Pat and his missus in the 'manhatten' after copper face jacks - I am pretty sure it was that night of the loss. a real gentleman.

Jinxy

Sure we've all destroyed county players in club games.
Doesn't mean we'd do it in Croke park
You can only judge a players true quality by what he does in a county jersey.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2013, 08:53:23 PM
and you dont rate PJ Gillic ?????

if you cant kick a ball in club football, you wont do it in intecounty.
mcdermott wasnt there for that though.

Wildweasel74

Lynch was a very good Kildare player but he and buckley were forced up front to give kildare a bit of scoring power they were badly lacking. probably affected there games as they were both stand out midfielders. Dublin hated Lynch and thats why i loved him so much, class

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 10, 2013, 08:54:30 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2013, 08:53:23 PM
and you dont rate PJ Gillic ?????

if you cant kick a ball in club football, you wont do it in intecounty.
mcdermott wasnt there for that though.

Scored a goal in an All Ireland semi final.

lynchbhoy

So did Liam Hayes- does that make either prolific scorers or kick passers?
Good at other aspects and as I say IMO and from playing against them and seeing them at first hand, the others were better footballers/skilled - which is what I'd look for when picking a team.

Jinxy

lynchbhoy