John Galvin (Limerick)
3 (7%)
Ciaran McManus (Offaly)
0 (0%)
Niall Buckley (Kildare)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

nrico2006

Growing up a Tyrone fan, Tohill was the boy who put the fear into me when watching Tyrone Derry matches.  His runs through the middle were unreal.  He could catch, run and score.  Darragh O'Se was a brilliant fielder, but couldn't score or cover the ground as well as Tohill.  Cavanagh would be the weakest fielder, but he is better at scoring and running with the ball than O'Se and it would be a tight call between him and Tohill.  But I suppose if you were asked the question as to who you would want in your team today, a prime Tohill would be ahead of a prime Cavanagh.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2013, 09:05:07 PM
McHale dominated them all: O'Sé, Walsh and McDermott and going back he caught everything in 1989 against Shea Fahy & Teddy McCarthy too. O'Sé & Walsh had better days later on. The problem is without a silver cross you won't be taken seriously.

This is how to deal with the throw in:

Good man muppet. Had to be said. Btw the picture reminds me of that hindu goddess with all the arms wearing the Mayo sari.

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PCU2137.jpg

Jinxy

God be with the days when every player wore black puma kings.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blanketattack

Has to be Darragh Ó Sé for me.
Was much more of a box-to-box player than people give him credit.
In his early to mid-30s he gave up the box-to-box stuff but before that he really covered a phenomenal amount of ground during games.
He won All-Irelands and was a dominant midfielder in the era of two men allowed space to jump (and land) for kickouts and also in the era of midfield being like Times Square during rush hour for kickouts.
Well able to kick a point with left and right.
Great playmaker, very hard to dispossess.
Only 6 feet tall, but beat fellas 6'4", 6'5" and 6'6" regularly in the air due to incredible timing.
It never failed to amaze me when Darragh jumped for a kickout battling against Nicholas Murphy and Pearse O'Neill (6'5" and 6'6" respectively); between height and arm span, Darragh's hands would usually be a foot below the Murphy's and O'Neill's in the air but more often than not, Darragh would be the one landing with the ball in his hands.

drici

Quote from: theticklemister on May 07, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2013, 10:07:35 PM
Ticklemonster, I've never known McGrane referred to as PJ.

Haha good word play.

Must be mistaken, if I was back home I would be going through the programmes up in my room now!!!

Took a look at programmes. The first time he appears in any of them is i bPáirc an Iúir at 2-00pm on Sunday 9th June 1991 at number 12 in the Ulster Minor Football Championship 1st Round against Down.
He appears in that and all subsequent programmes as Paul McGrane - not a J in sight. There is a programme against Wexford in Lurgan on Sunday 21st November 1993 which is signed by Barry O'Hagan, Diarmuid Marsden, Kieran McGeeney, Dessie Mackin, Paul Cardwell and Paul McGrane - written in full - no PJ or Paul J.
In the Derry v Armagh Ulster Championship programme on Sunday 2nd June 1996, Paul McGrane's Club is given as Downpatrick.

Mourne man

Would have to throw gregory mcartan from down and nigel crawford from meath

Jinxy

We didn't appreciate Cindy enough while we had him.

theticklemister

Quote from: drici on May 08, 2013, 08:16:35 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 07, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2013, 10:07:35 PM
Ticklemonster, I've never known McGrane referred to as PJ.

Haha good word play.

Must be mistaken, if I was back home I would be going through the programmes up in my room now!!!

Took a look at programmes. The first time he appears in any of them is i bPáirc an Iúir at 2-00pm on Sunday 9th June 1991 at number 12 in the Ulster Minor Football Championship 1st Round against Down.
He appears in that and all subsequent programmes as Paul McGrane - not a J in sight. There is a programme against Wexford in Lurgan on Sunday 21st November 1993 which is signed by Barry O'Hagan, Diarmuid Marsden, Kieran McGeeney, Dessie Mackin, Paul Cardwell and Paul McGrane - written in full - no PJ or Paul J.
In the Derry v Armagh Ulster Championship programme on Sunday 2nd June 1996, Paul McGrane's Club is given as Downpatrick.

Thanks anyway drici! Love going through old programmes; especially looking at the respective minor teams to see who made it to senior and such.

Jinxy

I'm the same.  :)
I love reading minor match reports in the old programmes.
There's always some lad in the FF line who was lethal and yet never went on to play senior.
Peter Sullivan for Meath (off the 92 all ireland winning team) was a classic example.

Wildweasel74

Coulsnt understand what happened that lad Sullivan, him and Marsden were the 2 outstanding minors that yr, he seemed a way better player than Giles who was a yr younger at the time.

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 08, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
Coulsnt understand what happened that lad Sullivan, him and Marsden were the 2 outstanding minors that yr, he seemed a way better player than Giles who was a yr younger at the time.

Whatever happened Roscommon's Dermot Washington? He looked a decent minor. Never heard of him after 1992.

muppet

Quote from: Mourne man on May 08, 2013, 08:27:36 PM
Would have to throw gregory mcartan from down and nigel crawford from meath

Throw them off what?
MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

Greg McCartan the best midfielder down have had in the past 2oyrs anyway. Some gift to take a free off the ground with either foot, thought that was class

theticklemister

I missed Greg McCartan; my apoligies. He played to about 2000 didn't he?

qubdub

Jerome Quinn had a good magazine out around 1999/2000, covered Ulster club and county. Think it got threw out but always enjoyed it, was like one big programme for every match that year!