John Galvin (Limerick)
3 (7%)
Ciaran McManus (Offaly)
0 (0%)
Niall Buckley (Kildare)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

trileacman

For me O'Se, that subtle balance of brute force and footballing brilliance marked him out in a distinct category who could achieve it. Keavney, Frank McGuigan being other examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzI8j657vLA Epitomised at 2:20 in this video
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Wildweasel74

Seen O`Se against McGilligan, yes he was young and the big man near the end of the line but the brute force was all coming from the ginger haired man that day. Best midfielder was Tohill the 5yrs between 1997 and 2001 he was on powerful form, i thought tohill was even on better form than previous yrs (1992-96) but the derry team started to fade badly with alot of good players dropping away. Only bad game i seen him play was in 2003 replay against tyrone, the legs had gone and he couldnt run anymore but was hitting 32 at that stage. Was the first midfielder that had to be man marked and i think that says alot about him

rrhf

I think tohill provided the attacking edge and free kicks to allow that fairly negative Derry 93 outfit to operate. It allowed Colman to play the most defensive 3/4 line in the history of the game albeit their role was to strangle the life out of their opponents. To hills long range kick allowed that set up. So it's big Anthony for me but particularly in the early days

theticklemister

Tohill provided the dynaism that no other midfielder has provided since. His salmon like leaps and catches were a sight to behold with the supporters at the game stood in awe at this excellent piece of skill. He could then solo he ball and throw off challenges as if they weren't there. He could rough it and also play with finess.

For the record Cavanagh was my no.2 and O'Se was my number 3.

muppet

McHale dominated them all: O'Sé, Walsh and McDermott and going back he caught everything in 1989 against Shea Fahy & Teddy McCarthy too. O'Sé & Walsh had better days later on. The problem is without a silver cross you won't be taken seriously.

This is how to deal with the throw in:

MWWSI 2017

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: theticklemister on May 07, 2013, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2013, 06:40:21 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 07, 2013, 06:29:21 PM
In the earlier match day programs lad. He was called PJ.

How early are you talking here?

If i recall well, 1999 game against Derry in ulster semi-final
memory must be playing tricks on you , lad dug out a few old programmes He was Paul in 1996 programme (Derry v Armagh )and was also Paul in sigerson  programme of 93

theticklemister

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 07, 2013, 09:07:27 PM

memory must be playing tricks on you , lad dug out a few old programmes He was Paul in 1996 programme (Derry v Armagh )and was also Paul in sigerson  programme of 93

someone help me out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!i'm sure I seen his name down as PJ before it was Paul. Drici will be the man to help me here ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2013, 09:05:07 PM
McHale dominated them all: O'Sé, Walsh and McDermott and going back he caught everything in 1989 against Shea Fahy & Teddy McCarthy too. O'Sé & Walsh had better days later on. The problem is without a silver cross you won't be taken seriously.

The best performer on his day in that picture is McEneney!!

Puckoon

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2013, 09:05:07 PM

That's a free.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

Ticklemonster, I've never known McGrane referred to as PJ.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2013, 10:07:35 PM
Ticklemonster, I've never known McGrane referred to as PJ.

Haha good word play.

Must be mistaken, if I was back home I would be going through the programmes up in my room now!!!

Rudi

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2013, 05:54:43 PM
Kevin Staunton  ;)

Very good club footballer, had a few decent games for the county. Played against him once, big lad.

Jinxy

Brian Stynes should be on that list.
Way too many Ulster representatives.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

ardchieftain

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 07, 2013, 09:07:27 PM

I played club football with Paul McGrane, don't know where the PJ came from, first i've ever heard of it!