John Galvin (Limerick)
3 (7%)
Ciaran McManus (Offaly)
0 (0%)
Niall Buckley (Kildare)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

ardchieftain

I seem to recall that Darragh O'Se stated that his toughest ever opponent was Paul McGrane.
Anthony Tohill would be up there with the above pair.

theticklemister

Just looking at the irish independemts 125 best footballers which they commissioned a few years ago. Big Tohill comes in at 80, cavanagh at 43 and o se at 23.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 07, 2013, 10:11:00 PM
Way too many Ulster representatives.

Have to try and split their vote somehow.

BennyCake

The midfield role has changed over the last few years. For example, Sean Cavanagh is a fine player, plays in midfield alot but wouldn't be renowned for his high fielding.

The best fielder of that lot was Darragh O'Se. The best all-rounder was definitely Anthony Tohill.

BennyHarp

Did Tohill and O'Se ever play directly against each other? Can't think any championship meeting between Kerry and Derry but their paths must have crossed in a league game at some point?
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Both cavanafh and o se had more influence than to hill however I can't mark down the big man. Pj was a good one and whilst mc Dermot near finished canavans career in 96 he was a serious athlete.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 07, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
Did Tohill and O'Se ever play directly against each other? Can't think any championship meeting between Kerry and Derry but their paths must have crossed in a league game at some point?

Never met in championship in those early years. We played them in an all ireland semi and a couple of nfl finals in the late 00s but Tohill was retired then.

O se is winning the duel here!!!

5 Sams

Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2013, 11:34:55 PM
Both cavanafh and o se had more influence than to hill however I can't mark down the big man. Pj was a good one and whilst mc Dermot near finished canavans career in 96 he was a serious athlete.

Either you can't handle the predictive rrhf or you're pissed?
The Aristocrat Years

Throw ball

As he retired early due to injury he only just squeezes into the last twenty years but the best midfielder I ever saw play was Mark Grimley. Of those listed I would definitely go for Tohill.

Gold

Tohill. Best player i ever seen during years 97-2002

Catching was unmatched.

What other player catches a ball a metre over a crossbar?

Broke our hearts but i loved him
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syferus

Sure none of these pretenders would have had a hope against Seamie O'Neill.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

rrhf

Probably representative of the era. Only for the fact big tohill never managed to outfield Jody Gormley he would be out front. Given the sheer volume of dara se s performances in cp ill give the nod to dara se. Both class

bennydorano

Paul McGrane - Armagh's best ever player imo (an opinion i've had & expressed for a long time), superb midfielder, not the straightest of feet tho.

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on May 08, 2013, 08:06:15 AM
Probably representative of the era. Only for the fact big tohill never managed to outfield Jody Gormley he would be out front. Given the sheer volume of dara se s performances in cp ill give the nod to dara se. Both class

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.