Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2013, 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 09, 2013, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2013, 07:23:34 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 09, 2013, 12:32:35 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2013, 12:19:57 AM
Uh oh. The Green and (very) Red army is massing at the Gaza Strip.

Let me clear it up for ye - he was using an euphemism to say you're choke artists. Glad to be of service!!  8)

With respect Syferus, I think Seafóid can answer for himself.

Do you think he was euphemistically labelling Mayo 'choke-artists' ? Or is that what you want to think ( maybe you think that is what we are too?) he is saying? Let s see what the man says?
Not doing justice to themselves and not building on the work already done. I think this mayo management has more duthracht but the history of non achievement must be a real mental load. There is always the risk the supporters lose faith. It is some kind of inferiority/defensive thing I think. All the broken dreams. Like people don't dare it could happen or they feel they don't deserve it. When it does happen  the county is going to go absolutely mental. If Galway have a decent team they can execute. Mayo need that mindset.

Wouldn t entirely agree but I accept that your opinion would be the popular one. Of the AIs that we could have won (89,96,97 and 12), I believe we could have been better served by more tactical nous and better selection. I dont accept that there was a collective mental collapse by the players.
But I realise that it is a perception that is going to stick with us. The idea that we re a choking, spineless football culture is, I admit, an attractive stereotype for media and fans from other counties.
I think an AI would put a lot of theories to bed .  The Galway hurlers have a similar problem and there is more to it than tactics on the day. Some teams lose far more finals than they win. It is very mysterious.

It would. A lot of counties get a lot right in any given year but come up short of the big pot. Mayo have done a lot right a lot of years but unfortunately for us it wasn t good enough. In hindsight we didn t do ourselves any favours a few times in finals but we got a lot right to get there at the same time.
Twould be nice to win one though. But it wouldn t change the past either.

Lar Naparka

Let me clear it up for ye - he was using an euphemism to say you're choke artists. Glad to be of service!!  8)

Do you think he was euphemistically labelling Mayo 'choke-artists' ? Or is that what you want to think ( maybe you think that is what we are too?) he is saying? Let s see what the man says?
Not doing justice to themselves and not building on the work already done. I think this mayo management has more duthracht but the history of non achievement must be a real mental load. There is always the risk the supporters lose faith. It is some kind of inferiority/defensive thing I think. All the broken dreams. Like people don't dare it could happen or they feel they don't deserve it. When it does happen  the county is going to go absolutely mental. If Galway have a decent team they can execute. Mayo need that mindset.

Wouldn t entirely agree but I accept that your opinion would be the popular one. Of the AIs that we could have won (89,96,97 and 12), I believe we could have been better served by more tactical nous and better selection. I dont accept that there was a collective mental collapse by the players.
But I realise that it is a perception that is going to stick with us. The idea that we re a choking, spineless football culture is, I admit, an attractive stereotype for media and fans from other counties.
I don't see any signs of the choke mentality in the present Mayo side. They kept plugging away to the end in the final last year despite the dream start by Donegal. The sides of 04 and 06 wouldn't have done that.
I also think that the team of 96 lost their nerve with victory in sight in the drawn game. I said here before that a Kerry ex-player said to me as we left the ground after that game that if Micko had been in charge Mayo would not have lost and I agreed with him.
I knew what this hoor meant and it wasn't that Micko or anyone else could have taken Mayo to an AI final that year.
Maughan is still the most successful Manager we have had since 51 and I believe that the 96 side is the best I have seen-to date at any rate.
But they all cracked under pressure, including the manager. If only Maughan had the experience and cuteness of someone like O'Dwyer in the frenetic closing stage, the result might well have been different.
A fine man and he learned his lesson that day but it was too late.  He kept his composure in the replay and in the finals of 97 and 04 but that's all history now.
Horan was there in 96 and he knows what happened back then. He was one of the most laid players I have come across and I think he has carried this trait through to his management. This side may well get stuffed sooner or later but they'll fight to the end.
I wouldn't bother my posterior about what others have to say.
The stereotype you speak of may be partly based n fact but its grounded in jealousy.
I mean you can't lose an AI final unless you have managed to get there in the first place and there at least 30 other counties who'd give anything to be in our place when the ref throws the bal in.
f**k the begrudgers! We'll get there sooner or later and that's all that counts.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 09, 2013, 11:36:42 AM

I don't see any signs of the choke mentality in the present Mayo side. They kept plugging away to the end in the final last year despite the dream start by Donegal. The sides of 04 and 06 wouldn't have done that. I also think that the team of 96 lost their nerve with victory in sight in the drawn game. I said here before that a Kerry ex-player said to me as we left the ground after that game that if Micko had been in charge Mayo would not have lost and I agreed with him.
I knew what this hoor meant and it wasn't that Micko or anyone else could have taken Mayo to an AI final that year.
Maughan is still the most successful Manager we have had since 51 and I believe that the 96 side is the best I have seen-to date at any rate.
But they all cracked under pressure, including the manager. If only Maughan had the experience and cuteness of someone like O'Dwyer in the frenetic closing stage, the result might well have been different.
A fine man and he learned his lesson that day but it was too late.  He kept his composure in the replay and in the finals of 97 and 04 but that's all history now.
Horan was there in 96 and he knows what happened back then. He was one of the most laid players I have come across and I think he has carried this trait through to his management. This side may well get stuffed sooner or later but they'll fight to the end.
I wouldn't bother my posterior about what others have to say.
The stereotype you speak of may be partly based n fact but its grounded in jealousy.
I mean you can't lose an AI final unless you have managed to get there in the first place and there at least 30 other counties who'd give anything to be in our place when the ref throws the bal in.
f**k the begrudgers! We'll get there sooner or later and that's all that counts.

Couldn t agree with all that Lar. I ve highlighted a few bits.

In 04 and 06 we were up against a much better team in terms of quality and we went toe to toe with them with predictable outcome. I don t believe guts had anything to do with it. If we were more tactically astute we may have been a lot more competitive though.

We were poorly set up in 96, concering the 11 position ( which we again did in '97). When the momentum swung to Meath we did not readjust - Maughan had also left Fallon out of the subs ! Momentum swings during games all the time anyway. I was surrounded by a lot of nervous Down men in  92 final when the momentum swung Meath s way v Down. Very similar but Down hung on. Again I don t think choke had anything to do with. Maughan again should have done better coping with the Maurice Fitz threat in 97, but all this has been digested many times before.
Probably what I m trying to say is that I m not gone on this choking and cracking business. I believe there were more practical reasons for our failures. I can t accept likes of Kenneth Mort. Gary Ruane. Nallen, Cahill, Fallon, Colm Mac, Horan etc were chokers

rosnarun

why do mayo posters think there is a case to defend here .
mayo are going for 3 in a row in connaught and have reached  the semi-final and final  in the last 2 Championships and leagues .Thaht the kind of record most counties would kill for and we are still on the back foot ?
f**k the begrudgers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

There is no Choke mentality with Mayo in Connacht, that has never been the problem. That's why i feel this is not a factor. If anything Galway's recent Connacht and back door record has shown when the chips are down they do not cut it. They have been living off the 2001 year glory for the last 12 years and have faded out of the championship year in year out with a whimper. The media have not got on their back because they are gone before they get a chance to.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2013, 03:29:06 PM

There is no Choke mentality with Mayo in Connacht, that has never been the problem. That's why i feel this is not a factor. If anything Galway's recent Connacht and back door record has shown when the chips are down they do not cut it. They have been living off the 2001 year glory for the last 12 years and have faded out of the championship year in year out with a whimper. The media have not got on their back because they are gone before they get a chance to.

Wrong. The media never get on Galway's backs because the mediamen can still remember Galway winning an All-Ireland, I think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2013, 03:50:21 PM

Wrong. The media never get on Galway's backs because the mediamen can still remember Galway winning an All-Ireland, I think.

Well that's the nub of it. Galway can afford to lose half a dozen games by a single point as they have in recent years and avoid the choker tag as the county has won 7 of the last 8 All-Ireland finals it's appeared in at all grades. You win finals and you are given a free pass to f**k away a few games. That's just the way it is.

That said Galway has got some stick for losing those games but because they were in the qualifiers (and generally not televised) it's not nearly as much as it would have been had they been semi-finals or quarter-finals. Unfortunately the only way in any sport to lose a choker tag is to win finals. That shuts it all up in one go.

Crete Boom

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 09, 2013, 04:04:13 PM

Well that's the nub of it. Galway can afford to lose half a dozen games by a single point as they have in recent years and avoid the choker tag as the county has won 7 of the last 8 All-Ireland finals it's appeared in at all grades. You win finals and you are given a free pass to f**k away a few games. That's just the way it is.

That said Galway has got some stick for losing those games but because they were in the qualifiers (and generally not televised) it's not nearly as much as it would have been had they been semi-finals or quarter-finals. Unfortunately the only way in any sport to lose a choker tag is to win finals. That shuts it all up in one go.

To be honest I think we might have to win back to back or a three in a row to shake of the chokers tag from the media and the casual GAA fan as we have lost too many on the big day in the last 20 yrs for them to forget! I believe Galway were labeled chokers and fancy dans after losing finals in the 70's and 80's ( I think Eugen McGee might have called the Fancy Dans in 98?) until winning those All Ireland's in quick succession and especially the way they dismantled Meath in style in 2001 helped to boost their rep in the football world. Put it this way in this country you have to do an awful lot very quickly to silence the begruders because Irish men and women knock the soft target more often than not instead of addressing their own short comings.

Anyway back to the game and I hear Dillion and Barry Moran will be fit for selection and the news on Regan seems to be that he will be in the shake up too. Keith played midfield for the hurlers against Kildare ( scoring two points) so his hamstring seems to be grand which means we will probably be missing Conroy , Andy and Tom Cunniffe only so that will make things a bit more daunting for the Tribesmen. I haven't heard anything more on Boyle but no news is good news at this stage of the season. We just need to start taking some of the plethora of goal chances we created in the league and we should be hard stopped!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 09, 2013, 04:39:41 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 09, 2013, 04:04:13 PM

To be honest I think we might have to win back to back or a three in a row to shake of the chokers tag from the media and the casual GAA fan as we have lost too many on the big day in the last 20 yrs for them to forget! I believe Galway were labeled chokers and fancy dans after losing finals in the 70's and 80's ( I think Eugen McGee might have called the Fancy Dans in 98?) until winning those All Ireland's in quick succession and especially the way they dismantled Meath in style in 2001 helped to boost their rep in the football world. Put it this way in this country you have to do an awful lot very quickly to silence the begruders because Irish men and women knock the soft target more often than not instead of addressing their own short comings.

Certainly 83 must be considered the ultimate choke job. 14 v 12 with a gale behind them and they still conspire to lose it somehow. In fairness they did cop plenty of stick for that. No more than from within their own county but as long as you win a few finals you can afford to lose a few without getting unwarranted stick. Even Kerry have lost plenty of finals.

galwayman

Yeah Eugene McGee had a fancy dans article about Galway after the drawn Connacht Final in 98. In A Year Till Sunday (the fly on the wall documentary of that season) O'Mahoney produces the article and uses it as a motivational tool.

I don't really believe in this choking rubbish myself. It's like any game - if you're good enough you win - if you're not good enough you don't.
And again like any game luck plays its part.

I don't get all this media thing with Mayo - sure they have lost AI finals (89, 96, 97, 04, 06, 12 if memory serves me) in the last 25 years. But in all honestly in 5 of those finals they lost because they weren't good enough on the day. They simply didn't deserve to win those games.
In 96 I think they should have beaten Meath. They let them back into it and paid the price for that. Again though that can happen in games & I don't believe it is evidence of choking at all. that is just the way sport is.
I have played in county finals myself that I could say "we should have won" but we let our opponents back into the game, didn't take our chances and lost. We didn't "choke" - it's just the way the game panned out.

Similarly Galway lost finals in the 70s and again in 1983. I don't know about the games in the 70s as I was too young but people talk about 83 being a game we should have won.
I have watched it on video and we weren't good enough to win that day - even with the extra players. Simple as.
It wasn't a choke job - simply a case of not being good enough on the day.

I really do get tired of reading the same old cliches about Mayo in the media. It has long since become boring.

ross4life

Quote from: galwayman on May 09, 2013, 05:34:00 PM
Yeah Eugene McGee had a fancy dans article about Galway after the drawn Connacht Final in 98. In A Year Till Sunday (the fly on the wall documentary of that season) O'Mahoney produces the article and uses it as a motivational tool.

I don't really believe in this choking rubbish myself. It's like any game - if you're good enough you win - if you're not good enough you don't.
And again like any game luck plays its part.

I don't get all this media thing with Mayo - sure they have lost AI finals (89, 96, 97, 04, 06, 12 if memory serves me) in the last 25 years. But in all honestly in 5 of those finals they lost because they weren't good enough on the day. They simply didn't deserve to win those games.
In 96 I think they should have beaten Meath. They let them back into it and paid the price for that. Again though that can happen in games & I don't believe it is evidence of choking at all. that is just the way sport is.

I have played in county finals myself that I could say "we should have won" but we let our opponents back into the game, didn't take our chances and lost. We didn't "choke" - it's just the way the game panned out.

Similarly Galway lost finals in the 70s and again in 1983. I don't know about the games in the 70s as I was too young but people talk about 83 being a game we should have won.
I have watched it on video and we weren't good enough to win that day - even with the extra players. Simple as.
It wasn't a choke job - simply a case of not being good enough on the day.

I really do get tired of reading the same old cliches about Mayo in the media. It has long since become boring.

Since 1989 Mayo have shown great consistency they have produced numerous wins in Croke park including a number of wins against the defending AI champions. I don't get the choke tag either? it's true of the 6 AI finals only 1996 could you say Mayo should have won in the others they were simply beaten by the better sides.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

Anyway the moral is this is Connacht football and the choker tag has no bearing here! You can go back to talking about it if Mayo get to the knockout stages. For now there is a Connacht Championship title up for grabs!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2013, 06:49:39 PM
Anyway the moral is this is Connacht football and the choker tag has no bearing here! You can go back to talking about it if Mayo get to the knockout stages. For now there is a Connacht Championship title up for grabs!

Exactly.  You can only live in the present and make plans for the future. The past and what might have been might help to while away long winter evenings but right now the focus should be on Salthill. Can't see Mayo choking here. (BTW, I can't see Galway doing ditto either.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

We should know the teams in a week or so.

Mayo should be something similar to the team that started games at the end of the league. I d expect Dillon and Barry Moran will be held in reserve and introduced for final 20. He ll probably start with big Aidan on the 40 as well. Hopefully Boyle will be fit.

Farrandeelin

What are the roadworks like on the N17 these days? Is there some sewage works going on? We'll have to leave earlier in the morning if that's the case.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.