Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2013, 11:21:18 PM
What are the roadworks like on the N17 these days? Is there some sewage works going on? We'll have to leave earlier in the morning if that's the case.

Hopefully Mayo don't end up in the gutter on the 19th.

moysider

What are the roadworks like on the N17 these days? Is there some sewage works going on? We'll have to leave earlier in the morning if that's the case.

Not sure what s going on there? But I believe there were 3 sets of traffic lights between Ballindine and Claregalway last week. Through Headford would be a better option normal days but maybe not that day.

Anyway, the ould traffic mightn t be too bad! Between one thing and another I ve yet to meet anybody that actually is convinced about going to this gig. Even people with season tickets and all. The location and the traffic shite is a contributing factor, no doubt about that.

galwayman

Not sure what the story with roadworks on N17 is Far.
Traffic in the city is a disaster any time Galway play Mayo in the championship.
I live in the city and it took me 90 minutes to drive out to Pearse the day we played Westmeath in the qualifiers on a Saturday evening some years back.
Also the day of the 2009 game our football board re-fixed one of my clubs championship games for the morning of the game.Afterwards we had to go back into the city through Claregalway. Disaster!

If I were you I'd avoid the N17 altogether. Head up to Galway via Headford instead. It will be busy that way too but I reckon it will move better than the Tuam Road. Or else take a slight detour a few miles the Tuam side of Claregalway. That should bring you through Carnmore instead, past Galway airport & into the city via Briarhill.

One way or another leave in plenty of time or you'll be sitting in traffic for a LONG time. Luckily I'm now living within a 20-30 minute walk of the stadium now so won't have that issue.
You are nearly as well off to park the car in town and walk out to the stadium from there

galwayman

Come to think of it I do remember going to a Galway-Mayo game in Pearse (the one before 2009 I think) through Headford (am a Headford man myself) and traffic was backed up past Ballindooley castle on the way in so it might be as bad this way as well.

I'd have a look on Google maps & plan a route on smaller roads across country to avoid the worst of the traffic.

mouview

Thought all ye lads lived and worked in Galway?

Farrandeelin

Oh well. The only things that will be 'choked' will be the roads in this instance :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

I dread the year we have to play a senior Connacht final at Pearse. Paddy Joe will have to bulldoze those stupid walled roads in Salthill with the Rosmobile.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2013, 11:49:12 PM
I dread the year we have to play a senior Connacht final at Pearse. Paddy Joe will have to bulldoze those stupid walled roads in Salthill with the Rosmobile.
Ya won't have to worry yer little headeen about playin a senior Connacht Final  ANYWHERE  ;)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

galwayman

Another option would be to go via Westport and instead of heading the usual way via Ballinrobe go onto the N59 and into the city via Oughterard & Moycullen. This is obviously a longer route as the crow flies.
The advantage of this route is that you will be arriving into the west side of the city (which is where the pitch is) as opposed to the other routes where you arrive on the East side and have to get across the city.

It will probably start to slow down a bit approaching the city after Moycullen. My advise (if traffic is slow) would be when you come to Keleghans pub in Bushypark on the outskirts of the city, take the very next right turn. It is an un-signposted narrow-ish road up a hill that will take you straight into Knocknacarra (well you have to take one left turn but straight apart from that).
You could park in Knocknacarra somewhere and walk from there or keep driving to get as close to Pearse as you can.
I used to live in an estate in Knocknacarra and used to take this shortcut to work every morning. Very few cars seemed to use it.

Anyway as ye said in a previous post - I doubt there will be any crowd records broken on 19th :-)

moysider

Quote from: galwayman on May 09, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
Traffic in the city is a disaster any time Galway play Mayo in the championship.
I live in the city and it took me 90 minutes to drive out to Pearse the day we played Westmeath in the qualifiers on a Saturday evening some years back.
Also the day of the 2009 game our football board re-fixed one of my clubs championship games for the morning of the game.Afterwards we had to go back into the city through Claregalway. Disaster!

If I were you I'd avoid the N17 altogether. Head up to Galway via Headford instead. It will be busy that way too but I reckon it will move better than the Tuam Road. Or else take a slight detour a few miles the Tuam side of Claregalway. That should bring you through Carnmore instead, past Galway airport & into the city via Briarhill.One way or another leave in plenty of time or you'll be sitting in traffic for a LONG time. Luckily I'm now living within a 20-30 minute walk of the stadium now so won't have that issue.
You are nearly as well off to park the car in town and walk out to the stadium from there

Yeah. I ve done that a few times. It s the Roscommon road you take I think. Hurling country.  Heading to Turloughmore through Lackagh (Flynns pub/stores). That ll get ye by Claregalway and in by the airport but when you reach the city there s another level of stress again. If ye can get to lower Salthill, head up through Shantalla and park in a housing estate like Highfield Park and walk through the ratruns to the pitch - about 10/15 mins. But this venue is a serious deterrant to a lot of people attending matches. It s a f**king joke tbh. The only 'home' championship match v Galway that I ve ever missed was the one in Salthill that coincided with an airshow. Like how can that happen?
My first match attended in Salthill was in 78 - Mayo were not even playing. Parked in a bloody field. We got home in a different time zone. Ridiculous venue.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on May 10, 2013, 12:18:09 AM
Quote from: galwayman on May 09, 2013, 11:35:30 PM

If I were you I'd avoid the N17 altogether. Head up to Galway via Headford instead. It will be busy that way too but I reckon it will move better than the Tuam Road. Or else take a slight detour a few miles the Tuam side of Claregalway. That should bring you through Carnmore instead, past Galway airport & into the city via Briarhill.One way or another leave in plenty of time or you'll be sitting in traffic for a LONG time. Luckily I'm now living within a 20-30 minute walk of the stadium now so won't have that issue.

Yeah. I ve done that a few times. It s the Roscommon road you take I think. Hurling country.  Heading to Turloughmore through Lackagh (Flynns pub/stores). That ll get ye by Claregalway and in by the airport but when you reach the city there s another level of stress again. If ye can get to lower Salthill, head up through Shantalla and park in a housing estate like Highfield Park and walk through the ratruns to the pitch - about 10/15 mins. But this venue is a serious deterrant to a lot of people attending matches. It s a f**king joke tbh. The only 'home' championship match v Galway that I ve ever missed was the one in Salthill that coincided with an airshow. Like how can that happen?
My first match attended in Salthill was in 78 - Mayo were not even playing. Parked in a bloody field. We got home in a different time zone. Ridiculous venue.

Tell us about it. They could have made a bomb selling Pearse for property and building a new stadium on a green field site on the east of the city where you could get on a motorway in minutes.

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on May 10, 2013, 12:02:21 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2013, 11:49:12 PM
Ya won't have to worry yer little headeen about playin a senior Connacht Final  ANYWHERE  ;)

The best thing about this year will be that we get to beat ye (pending Maroon) and then come back to Castlebar for a re-run of 2010.

Lock yer doors, lads. We're coming.

moysider

Quote from: galwayman on May 10, 2013, 12:08:00 AM
Another option would be to go via Westport and instead of heading the usual way via Ballinrobe go onto the N59 and into the city via Oughterard & Moycullen. This is obviously a longer route as the crow flies.
The advantage of this route is that you will be arriving into the west side of the city (which is where the pitch is) as opposed to the other routes where you arrive on the East side and have to get across the city.

It will probably start to slow down a bit approaching the city after Moycullen. My advise (if traffic is slow) would be when you come to Keleghans pub in Bushypark on the outskirts of the city, take the very next right turn. It is an un-signposted narrow-ish road up a hill that will take you straight into Knocknacarra (well you have to take one left turn but straight apart from that).
You could park in Knocknacarra somewhere and walk from there or keep driving to get as close to Pearse as you can.
I used to live in an estate in Knocknacarra and used to take this shortcut to work every morning. Very few cars seemed to use it.

Anyway as ye said in a previous post - I doubt there will be any crowd records broken on 19th :-)

From around N/E Mayo, heading via Westport is like heading via Athlone! Ok, only having a laugh, but it is a chore. Another option - which many people will take - is to sit on their holes and watch it on tv. It s not like anybody will miss out on a great occasion or anything. This is not the attraction it used to be - why that is so is another discussion - but the grĂ¡/fear/dread these games used to generate, is well gone. We wont see 95 - 99 again. That s gone and it was great.

Galway fans don t like Salthill and dont travel unless they are sure they will win. Mayo support could be modest enough too. Opposite of 'snowball effect'. If one person/family decide not to bother, five others dont bother either.

galwayman

Yeah the back door has taken the edge off the Galway-Mayo games imo.
Even the Connacht finals between us are not what they were.

I can see why people wouldn't bother travelling to Pearse. It can be a nightmare.
Can see a lot of people watching it in the pub with a few pints instead!

southsidejohnny

Try this way. Bus to Knock, flight to Waterford, flight to Southend, up to Heathrow, flight back to Galway and bus to Salthill. Mayo like to travel in style.