Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

QuoteI think it will have a huge boost to Galway

It is a boost for the senior team for the future - no doubt about that. It's of no relevance to the game on 19th May though.
It is going to take time for these lads to come though. There are just 2 of that side likely to start for the seniors and 2 more panellists.
Remember we won the u21 AI two years ago as well & it didn't do the senior team much good in the championship that year or last year either.

Look at the Mayo team now - there is a hell of a lot of lads that played on the u21 AI winning team of 2006 involved with the senior team now. It took 7 seasons for that group of players to make any real impact on the senior championship.

There's no quick fix to our woes at senior level - we just have to bring these players through incrementally over the next 4-5-6 years.
That's all we can do.

bucko

Quote from: moysider on May 07, 2013, 12:06:39 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2013, 11:13:37 PM
Can everybody just lie to me about injuries to Mayo players for the next 10 or so days! Just keep saying they are all doing well in training. Leave the surprises for the 19th. There are so many crocked players at this stage that I'll need tranquilisers to sleep at night! :P

Anyway heard through the grape vine Mayo beat Fermanagh  3-13 to 1-12. Vaughan, Freeman and Murphy with the goals. Game naturally lacked intensity! Andy Moran took a full part in the warm up.

Yeah, and Regan got injured again in training during the week.

Brendan Harrison from Aughamore seems to have been introduced into the panel and was named to start v Fermanagh. Good to see that Walsh and Burke were named to start anyway. I wouldn t give up the ghost yet. Some of these guys could give us a boost. Of course we will need Barry, Andy and Dillon to do anything but if we could manage without them for a while we could have real options.

Jaysus, another forward on the casualty list! Agree with you bout Walsh and Burke, liked the look of Walsh when he came on in the semi, looks the most natural corner back we've had in a long time. If Horan is looking at these guys with the notion of releasing Higgins further out the field it can only be a good thing, but it remains to be seen if this is what he is thinking. Regan injured ain't good, our depth in the forwards has receded to ankle deep at this stage!!!

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 07, 2013, 05:57:05 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2013, 05:53:32 PM
I think it will have a huge boost to Galway. That and all our injury ptoblems means I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Mayo lost this one.
Injuries should make it a closer game however last years All Ireland finalist losing a game in Connacht will be a surprise.
A repeat of 98 would be lovely. 3 or 4 young fellas with no fear and the Mayo complex kicking in. It isn't even knockout so they can always go the scenic route.  Mayo have loads more experience but they aren't playing Leitrim.   

I think Mayo need a higher overall standard in Connacht as well so the best thing would be a tight match. 

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2013, 11:45:20 AM
I think it will have a huge boost to Galway. That and all our injury ptoblems means I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Mayo lost this one.
Injuries should make it a closer game however last years All Ireland finalist losing a game in Connacht will be a surprise.
A repeat of 98 would be lovely. 3 or 4 young fellas with no fear and the Mayo complex kicking in. It isn't even knockout so they can always go the scenic route.  Mayo have loads more experience but they aren't playing Leitrim.   

I think Mayo need a higher overall standard in Connacht as well so the best thing would be a tight match.

The comparison with 98 is obvious. Or at least at first glance it is. However the game has changed a lot and it is very unlikely a team of kids could pull that off now. That 98 team had hardened quality veterans like Ja, Mannion and Walsh as well as the Savages, Joyces and Donnellans. Of course Galway can always beat Mayo but how would they cope against the tactically advanced teams like Tyrone and Donegal. That ll be the important thing for them sooner or later.  I m not sure Mulholland will try to change Galway s traditional game. U21 is a different galaxy to senior championship. Galway should ideally be in Div 1 but even if Mayo were at full strength this match could go either way most days.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on May 08, 2013, 12:20:26 PM

The comparison with 98 is obvious. Or at least at first glance it is. However the game has changed a lot and it is very unlikely a team of kids could pull that off now. That 98 team had hardened quality veterans like Ja, Mannion and Walsh as well as the Savages, Joyces and Donnellans. Of course Galway can always beat Mayo but how would they cope against the tactically advanced teams like Tyrone and Donegal. That ll be the important thing for them sooner or later.  I m not sure Mulholland will try to change Galway s traditional game. U21 is a different galaxy to senior championship. Galway should ideally be in Div 1 but even if Mayo were at full strength this match could go either way most days.
In fairness, Moysider, making it past the first match in the QFs would be an achievement for Galway for this year .   Ideally not losing the last match by 1 point either.   

But anything goes v Mayo. I still think Mayo will win by 5 or 6 but wouldn't be surprised if it was Galway's day.

galwayman

There's no comparison with 98 at all imo.
As Moysider has said previously, that Galway team had some quality mature established players. Lads like Tomas Mannion, Kevin Walsh, Ja Fallon & Sean og de Paor were some of the finest players in their positions in the country even by then.
Without them, 98 would never have happened.

The current senior side doesn't have anything like that kind of quality of established players.
As well as that, while this years u21s have some talented players onboard - the 98 vintage had Donnellan and Joyce - two truly special players. Savo also was a top player - very underrated in his early years on the team.

It really is only now looking back on it that I can truly appreciate how lucky we were to have such a team to follow at the time.

moysider

Meant to mention this earlier. What exactly do you mean by this?

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on May 08, 2013, 10:55:05 PM

Meant to mention this earlier. What exactly do you mean by this?

Yeah, good question. Looking forward to the answer!

Syferus

Uh oh. The Green and (very) Red army is massing at the Gaza Strip.

Let me clear it up for ye - he was using an euphemism to say you're choke artists. Glad to be of service!!  8)

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2013, 12:19:57 AM

Let me clear it up for ye - he was using an euphemism to say you're choke artists. Glad to be of service!!  8)

With respect Syferus, I think Seafóid can answer for himself.

Do you think he was euphemistically labelling Mayo 'choke-artists' ? Or is that what you want to think ( maybe you think that is what we are too?) he is saying? Let s see what the man says?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on May 09, 2013, 12:32:35 AM

Do you think he was euphemistically labelling Mayo 'choke-artists' ? Or is that what you want to think ( maybe you think that is what we are too?) he is saying? Let s see what the man says?

It's the only thing people mean when they mention a Mayo complex. Seafoid wouldn't be so uncouth as to put it as bluntly as that but the gist is the same and unmistakable.

Of course I don't think Mayo are choke artists, just helping clear up a misunderstanding.  :D

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2013, 12:49:58 AM

It's the only thing people mean when they mention a Mayo complex. Seafoid wouldn't be so uncouth as to put it as bluntly as that but the gist is the same and unmistakable.

Of course I don't think Mayo are choke artists, just helping clear up a misunderstanding.  :D

No misunderstanding. Seafóid will respond anon.

seafoid

Not doing justice to themselves and not building on the work already done. I think this mayo management has more duthracht but the history of non achievement must be a real mental load. There is always the risk the supporters lose faith. It is some kind of inferiority/defensive thing I think. All the broken dreams. Like people don't dare it could happen or they feel they don't deserve it. When it does happen  the county is going to go absolutely mental. If Galway have a decent team they can execute. Mayo need that mindset.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2013, 07:23:34 AM

Not doing justice to themselves and not building on the work already done. I think this mayo management has more duthracht but the history of non achievement must be a real mental load. There is always the risk the supporters lose faith. It is some kind of inferiority/defensive thing I think. All the broken dreams. Like people don't dare it could happen or they feel they don't deserve it. When it does happen  the county is going to go absolutely mental. If Galway have a decent team they can execute. Mayo need that mindset.

Wouldn t entirely agree but I accept that your opinion would be the popular one. Of the AIs that we could have won (89,96,97 and 12), I believe we could have been better served by more tactical nous and better selection. I dont accept that there was a collective mental collapse by the players.
But I realise that it is a perception that is going to stick with us. The idea that we re a choking, spineless football culture is, I admit, an attractive stereotype for media and fans from other counties.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on May 09, 2013, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2013, 07:23:34 AM

Wouldn t entirely agree but I accept that your opinion would be the popular one. Of the AIs that we could have won (89,96,97 and 12), I believe we could have been better served by more tactical nous and better selection. I dont accept that there was a collective mental collapse by the players.
But I realise that it is a perception that is going to stick with us. The idea that we re a choking, spineless football culture is, I admit, an attractive stereotype for media and fans from other counties.
I think an AI would put a lot of theories to bed .  The Galway hurlers have a similar problem and there is more to it than tactics on the day. Some teams lose far more finals than they win. It is very mysterious.