Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Do any of you Cavan ones know there is a match on Sunday!

Can see it going either way. If Lavery and Harold can get possession in midfield Armagh should have a good chance.

Dirtyball

Quote from: Westside on May 17, 2013, 06:12:01 PM
Quote from: Dirtyball on May 17, 2013, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 15, 2013, 10:47:19 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 15, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
Well I have faith in Terry Hyland to put the right team on the pitch and have them motivated. His record is unmatched in Cavan as a manager. I have no problem giving him time to get this team right. I am looking for a good solid performance and I am hoping we sneak a win. I will not be throwing the toys out of the pram if we lose, Armagh are still a little ahead of us.

Nail on the head there Myles lad. Patience is needed. A time will come where we will have to say "it's time to deliver". That time is bit away yet.
.                                                                                                                                          When exactly would you expect the present management to start producing? Given that hyland himself has been in or around the senior set up 4/5 years. Lads like Givney McDermott dunne were all u21 in 2010 . Lads like Murray Meehan seem to have been discarded already and they were u21 in 2011. Fergal Flanagan comes back in for his annual first round of the championship game . He was brutal against Donegal last year and was at fault for Corks last 3 points in the u21 semi . And to call him a senior county footballer is complete nonsense. If you look at last years first round team v Donegal and look at this years team v Armagh there not a lot of similarities to show the management know what they are doing. As a poster here said already hyland played a big part in the downfall of Andrews by not opening his mouth regarding team selection and regarding who was dropped from the panel. He set Val up for a fall and jumped in when Val left. He got 4 and a half years and from the way he is shaping up he will leave it no better than when he joined it all those years ago. Yes he worked wonders with the u21s .but so did Peter Reilly this year. That doesn't make them senior managers. Nor does jumping on the sideline like a headless chicken roaring his guts of make forde and better than a selector with a bit of cop. Armagh by 5 and wait for Terry's work in progress press conference.

So you decided to join the, what was it you called us.. "lick arses" over here on GAABoard?

Saying that Terry set Val up for a fall is bordering on conspiracy theorist type idiocy. If Val picks a terrible team, then that is Val's issue, he is not a simpleton that Terry was there to look after. And you have absolutely no idea what was going on between them behind the scenes. Maybe there was war between them over team selections, maybe not. But at the end of the day Val had the final say and the buck stops with him, as he said himself many times. Terry Hyland was always going to take over this Cavan team, the CB knew it, we knew it, Val knew it, and Terry knew it. He had no reason to "set him up for a fall" You think Hyland, a man who has given more to Cavan than any manager in the past decade, would be happy to see us fail miserably so he would improve his already massive claim to the managers position? You think he was satisfied to see Antrim come to Breffni and hammer us out the gate? Maybe you're a pathetic man with no integrity but Terry Hyland is not.

Now Hyland is the main man, and the buck will stop with him. And he is well entitled to call this what it is, a long term project that requires work and patience. Now you and the rest of the "experts" in the stand might not like that, but it's the truth. In short, there are a lot of morons in Cavan - including yourself - who want a quick fix that does not exist. You wanted it before 2011 when you said we had the players we just needed the right manager (which was bull), now we have a few decent underage teams (not exceptional) and that ramps up the impatience. Suddenly 2 years after we won our first U21 Ulster title and we should be making huge strides despite the depressingly low ebb we were at in 2010 and that we have almost no quality older Senior Intercounty Players in the county to build these lads around? There has been progress under Hyland this year, small progress but progress. For the last 4 years it has been a downward slope but that has stopped. This is not like turning a Micra in a driveway it's like turning a 747. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron. (You)

Also, can you honestly tell me that the U21s in 2010 were that good that we should be making senior progress on the back of that? They won a grand total of TWO games. Do you think anyone remembers who was in the Leinster U21 Final in 2010? Do you think the losing county have raised expectations because their players appeared in an underage final that year?

And yes I do see some similarities between the team that played v Donegal last year and the team v Armagh this Sunday. 8 players are starting again, 2 more would have if Gearoid and McKeever weren't injured, 2 lads are no longer involved, both emmigrated. 5 Subs came on, 4 of whom are still involved. So from the 20 that day 17 are still on the panel either starting, on the bench or injured.

Now for the good of the board and for the genuine supporters on it, please crawl back under your rock, we'll probably be seeing you Sunday evening where you can brand Hyland as the sole cause for anything that might have went wrong. If we manage to pull off a result I hope you won't be too upset.

H'on Cavan!
.               I write something you don't like u get upset and I have to crawl back under a rock? Some discussion board this. Agree with the chosen few is the way it seems to be. Let me tell you hyland set Val up for a big fall by publicly not backing his calls when he was joint manager .thats fact. He let Val make mistakes knowing it would land him the hot seat. Now Hyland has to deliver . Now hyland has to show improvement in his own tactical knowledge to prove regardless of results he is capable . He hasn't done that yet. Our underage structured is better than most. Lads that are pushing the 23/24 mark should be reaching their peak. It's time to start performing. Yes this year,

TacadoirArdMhacha

Let nobody be under any illusion that Armagh are facing into a very difficult challenge tomorrow. Our recent championship record, the Down match in 2011 apart, makes sorry reading so any suggestion that, even if we were at full strength, we would be dismissing Cavan is a bit fanciful. Add in the fact that we are away from home and missing our most natural defender (Morgan), possibly also one of key defenders in recent years (Donaghy) and definitely what has been arguably our most established midfield partnership (Toner and Vernon) and its very difficult to predict what might happen tomorrow. The positive for Armagh of course is that, unlike the vast majority of our matches in recent years, we have what I believe to be our key trio of Kernan, McKeever and Jamie Clarke in place. I still think we'll just about squeeze home but with the teams priced at 4/7 and 15/8, there's little doubt in my mind that Cavan represent the better bet.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mylestheslasher

Dirtball - why don't you write another letter into the celt, the last one was fascinating. It should keep you busy for a few days and the rest of us will head to Breffni.

Good luck to Cavan seniors and minors tomorrow. If we can play to  the best of our ability we can win.

rodney trotter

Good interview with Jamie Clarke in todays indo - hopefully Cavan can keep him quiet tomorrow , http://t.co/KBokLOP0xT

babarino

If this game was on in today's weather, I'd fancy Cavan to win it. It ain't gonna be pretty, 15 men in blue behind the ball, short passing, rugby league stuff. Armagh's superior attack should have enough to come out on top if the weather conditions allow it.

armaghniac

QuoteGood interview with Jamie Clarke in todays indo - hopefully Cavan can keep him quiet tomorrow , http://t.co/KBokLOP0xT

The other Armagh forwards need to step into the breach, be available for a pass etc, if Cavan double mark Jamie. Cross' have often scored well without Jamie getting many directly himself, because the other forwards made hay when the defence was occupied with Jamie.
I'd be hopeful that they can.

QuoteIf this game was on in today's weather, I'd fancy Cavan to win it.

Sunday: Fog clearing to give a mild, mostly dry day tomorrow with sunny spells.
Highest temperatures generally 15 to 17 degrees away from the east and south coast where onshore breezes will keep values at 11 to 13 degrees
So a decent day for the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

anglocelt39

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Dirtyball

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 18, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
Dirtyball, different username same old Richiej ;)
. Spare me! Can I not just be me? It's a discussion board. Posters don't necessarily have to agree with you or mylestheslasher or westside. Or mylestheslashers other mate Itchy. I believe Val was stitched up properly. Hammered on this board and other boards. Stabbed in the back by fellow selector and shit on by an excuse for a county chairman. It's Armagh by 2 plus tomorrow. Lump on at 11/10 . Get the Christmas money in early. Biggest certainty since Shergar won the Derby.

seafoid

Was the last manager from cavan gaels? He wasn't very good.
Up cavan tomorrow.

rodney trotter

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2013, 04:11:35 PM
Was the last manager from cavan gaels? He wasn't very good.
Up cavan tomorrow.

Val Andrews is a Dub, Ballymun.

Westside

Quote from: Dirtyball on May 18, 2013, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 18, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
Dirtyball, different username same old Richiej ;)
. Spare me! Can I not just be me? It's a discussion board. Posters don't necessarily have to agree with you or mylestheslasher or westside. Or mylestheslashers other mate Itchy. I believe Val was stitched up properly. Hammered on this board and other boards. Stabbed in the back by fellow selector and shit on by an excuse for a county chairman. It's Armagh by 2 plus tomorrow. Lump on at 11/10 . Get the Christmas money in early. Biggest certainty since Shergar won the Derby.

To be fair, it's hard to believe that there are two morons of this magnitude both from a small county like Cavan. Possible though I guess.

I do like your "we're going to be hammered-put the farm on Armagh-if I convince myself we're going to lose I can't get hurt if it happens" attitude. The self preservation instinct is a marvel.

Celt_Man

Shite weather today, hope it doesn't leave Breffni too greasy and slippy tomorrow...

Can't wait - still don't know what way to call both games
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010