Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

A superficial glance at the Ulster championship draw would suggest that Armagh has an easy path to the final with Donegal, Down, Derry and Tyrone all on the other side of the bracket, but this is a wobbly Armagh team that was fortunate to maintain its Division 2 status.  What with Cavan's U-21 success and our porous defense, I'm not exactly charged with confidence at the thought of a prelim matchup in Breffni.  Still, with Forker acquitting himself fairly well of late, Harold playing well at midfield, and Aaron Kernan looking composed as captain, as well as the return of Jamie Clarke and McKeever, I'm a little more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago.  I think we'll be good enough to edge Cavan and to survive long enough to see some football during the summer.  Maybe the Grimley era will begin in earnest.

Armaghgeddon

We were beat by Roscommon last year, they are in the same division as Cavan. It looks like a good draw for Armagh but in reality we aren't the team we were. This has huge potential for an upset. But on the other hand Cavan have no knowledge of what they will be coming up against when it comes to our Championship team, and it will be stronger than any team that played in the league.

Syferus

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on April 11, 2013, 01:16:15 AM
We were beat by Roscommon last year, they are in the same division as Cavan. It looks like a good draw for Armagh but in reality we aren't the team we were. This has huge potential for an upset. But on the other hand Cavan have no knowledge of what they will be coming up against when it comes to our Championship team, and it will be stronger than any team that played in the league.

Arrah, sure our second string are ten points better than Cavan  8)

Cavan will be buoyant after a third Ulster U21 (and maybe more) and at home there mightn't be a whole lot in this one.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2013, 01:25:30 AM

Cavan will be buoyant after a third Ulster U21 (and maybe more) and at home there mightn't be a whole lot in this one.

Your second string were ten points better than a patchwork Cavan team missing 7/8/9 championship starters. Its good that you're happy about the win,but don't lose the run of yourself now.
Armagh will be slight favourites,but there won't be much in it either way.

Syferus

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 11, 2013, 01:30:18 AM

Your second string were ten points better than a patchwork Cavan team missing 7/8/9 championship starters. Its good that you're happy about the win,but don't lose the run of yourself now.

Ah buck, no need to be sour.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2013, 02:31:04 AM

Ah buck, no need to be sour.

Us by 4 points!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Captain Obvious

I think he lost it years ago and he probably still thinks that win over Armagh last summer was worth something.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 11, 2013, 02:40:15 AM

I think he lost it years ago and he probably still thinks that win over Armagh last summer was worth something.

I'm so used to Ros teams beating Armagh teams at this stage I've moved on caring about bigger fish, like Fermanagh or Leitrim.

Oraisteach

I would say that Fermanagh are bigger fish since they did beat you in the league, if I remember right.  In the meantime, before we have to cower under the hulking shadow of that juggernaut from the west, we have to worry about Cavan.  I'd say that with the exception of Donegal and Tyrone, on the one hand, and Antrim on the other, the rest of the Ulster crop is much of a muchness, so I'd say it'll be a tough encounter against Cavan, especially in Breffni.

BallyhaiseMan

I was just looking at the Armagh team that beat Galway.
That is a very Strong half back line of Aaron Kernan,Kieran Toner and Finian Moriarty.
Midfield,I know of James Lavery who is a good player but who is this Stephen Harold guy, and how good is he?
Johnny Hanratty or David McKenna will surely start at Centrefield on May 19th ?
When you add in Vernon,Dyas,Forker, the Kiernans and the brilliant Jamie Clarke into it,you just see the huge potential there in this Armagh team.

rodney trotter

Charlie Vernon only returned for the Galway game, had be been injured until then?, very handy player.Kevin Dyas is a useful half forward aswell. Stefan Forker is a talented player, younger brother Aidan who was u21 this year, is also on the panel

Ciaran McKeever and Clarke will be coming back into that team aswell, both missed the Galway game. I'd expect a lot of the Cavan u21's to feature, It will take a huge effort to beat Armagh, even if they aren't the team of a few years ago

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 11, 2013, 01:41:45 PM
Charlie Vernon only returned for the Galway game, had be been injured until then?, very handy player.Kevin Dyas is a useful half forward aswell. Stefan Forker is a talented player, younger brother Aidan who was u21 this year, is also on the panel

Ciaran McKeever and Clarke will be coming back into that team aswell, both missed the Galway game. I'd expect a lot of the Cavan u21's to feature, It will take a huge effort to beat Armagh, even if they aren't the team of a few years ago

Vernon played a small part in the WM game, came on as a sub. I heard that he was fit before the game but was not used - whether that is true or not is a different matter, but when he did come on he contributed well to the game scoring a point instantly.

Does anyone know what happened the Stevenson? Think I asked on here recently but never seen the reply.

bennydorano

It's got zero potential for an 'upset' as who would be shocked if Cavan won?  Very much a 50/50 game.  I dont know much about the current Cavan tbh, but they are certainly progressing in the right direction and will be a force when it pays off at Senior level - bar Jamie Clarke we've no reason to assume anyone we've introduced into the county senior set up this past year or two is any better than what Cavan have,  i wouldn't put tuppence on us coming out of Breffni with a result.

Orior

One team on its way up meeting another team on its way down.

The result will tell us who has topped out or bottomed out.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano