Cant stand yapps like moyna

Started by Orchardman, February 07, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

So go on then, quit the game, quit ur fancy job with Down, get out of the media. And if walsh is so peeved of, then let him quit GAA too!
I know this is mentioned in the sigerson thread, but i think yapping needs a thread of its own. Just the same as the way harte and loads of county
managers moan about rule changes and stomp their feet.
I'm also reading mick o dywers book at the moment from 5 years ago. It should be a gread read considering the life he has had in GAA, but the
amount of chip on the shoulder moaning about the 'powers that be' in the GAA is unreal. Sickners!

Both Walsh and Boyle fell foul of the new requirements, which limit the courses players can take and also the number of years they can play in third-level competitions.

"We were surprised and disappointed," said the DCU manager of the ruling from the Dispute Resolution Authority.

"Aidan Walsh made a decision three years ago that he was going to drop out of a course and retrospectively they have imposed a ban on him playing collegiate football.

"It's disappointing in a number of ways. That man is going out to teach physical education and I certainly won't be encouraging him to promote Gaelic games and I mean that. In my classes from now on, I have no intention of promoting Gaelic games.

"The retrospective application of the rule really annoys us. They were saying the rule was enacted maybe a year or two ago. But (Walsh and Boyle) still made their decisions three or four years ago."

The Monaghan man added: "Michael Murphy is going to be a PE teacher and so are Paul Flynn and Aidan. Why should they promote Gaelic games if that is they way they are going to be treated?

"Michael was disgusted. After the meeting he said that, if there was ever an excuse to give up Gaelic games, that was certainly it."

While the first half was competitive, DCU never looked like relinquishing their crown in St Clare's yesterday.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Orchardman on February 07, 2013, 06:20:42 PM
So go on then, quit the game, quit ur fancy job with Down, get out of the media. And if walsh is so peeved of, then let him quit GAA too!
I know this is mentioned in the sigerson thread, but i think yapping needs a thread of its own. Just the same as the way harte and loads of county
managers moan about rule changes and stomp their feet.
I'm also reading mick o dywers book at the moment from 5 years ago. It should be a gread read considering the life he has had in GAA, but the
amount of chip on the shoulder moaning about the 'powers that be' in the GAA is unreal. Sickners!

Both Walsh and Boyle fell foul of the new requirements, which limit the courses players can take and also the number of years they can play in third-level competitions.

"We were surprised and disappointed," said the DCU manager of the ruling from the Dispute Resolution Authority.

"Aidan Walsh made a decision three years ago that he was going to drop out of a course and retrospectively they have imposed a ban on him playing collegiate football.

"It's disappointing in a number of ways. That man is going out to teach physical education and I certainly won't be encouraging him to promote Gaelic games and I mean that. In my classes from now on, I have no intention of promoting Gaelic games.

"The retrospective application of the rule really annoys us. They were saying the rule was enacted maybe a year or two ago. But (Walsh and Boyle) still made their decisions three or four years ago."

The Monaghan man added: "Michael Murphy is going to be a PE teacher and so are Paul Flynn and Aidan. Why should they promote Gaelic games if that is they way they are going to be treated?

"Michael was disgusted. After the meeting he said that, if there was ever an excuse to give up Gaelic games, that was certainly it."

While the first half was competitive, DCU never looked like relinquishing their crown in St Clare's yesterday.

Maybe because it will be their job?
That was never a square ball!!

ck

As I said in Sigerson thread, Moyna has developed a poor reputation over the last few years. He's an ego maniac, not a gaa man. It's all about him.

cadence

the real story for me is that he has failed to uphold his duty to protect his student's confidentiality and privacy. don't know what data protection law is like in ireland, or if there is any, but employers sack staff for doing that here in the uk. gross misconduct.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 06:59:03 PM
As I said in Sigerson thread, Moyna has developed a poor reputation over the last few years. He's an ego maniac, not a gaa man. It's all about him.

I'm sure he has a great ego but so do the Micko's and Cody's of the world. You don't have to be liked to be very good at what you do and clearly Moyna is a talented sports scientist and has a good eye for talent on the field, indeed having an ego and a personal aura tend to go hand in hand with top-level 'GAA men'.

I have to imagine when he reflects on what he's said he'll be regretting putting it as strongly as he did.

ck

Ah c'mon Syferus. When have you ever heard Cody or Micko saying anything as daft as they are going to stop promoting the GAA? Who does Moyna think he is. He clearly sees himself in a very flattering light if he thinks anyone gives two shites if he promotes the GAA or not. The GAA is bigger than any team, any college, any man. Moyna is full of his own importance, and full of shite.

spuds

Quote from: cadence on February 07, 2013, 08:53:03 PM
the real story for me is that he has failed to uphold his duty to protect his student's confidentiality and privacy. don't know what data protection law is like in ireland, or if there is any, but employers sack staff for doing that here in the uk. gross misconduct.

That's what stood out for me also in the article. Would hate for any manager I dealt with quoting me to the media to build his case. Wonder is Murphy that upset about it at all ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Jinxy

Not a fan of the whole DCU operation to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on February 08, 2013, 12:00:17 AM
Ah c'mon Syferus. When have you ever heard Cody or Micko saying anything as daft as they are going to stop promoting the GAA? Who does Moyna think he is. He clearly sees himself in a very flattering light if he thinks anyone gives two shites if he promotes the GAA or not. The GAA is bigger than any team, any college, any man. Moyna is full of his own importance, and full of shite.

Y'see I'm not disagreeing with you that it was a complete over-reaction by Moyna, indeed as someone who's been involved with and continues to be involved with football at a college and inter-county level it's almost laughable because unless he plans on giving up his jobs with Down and DCU he's likely going to be promoting the sport whether he wants to or not.

What I am saying is that bloody-mindness, arogance even, is what a lot of top-tier people in any field have bubbling under the surface, just look at how Cody has treated the media in the past or the self-agrandising of people like Alex Fergson who thinks every little call made against him is a case for a conspiracy. I think for some people a healthy ego is not an impediment to success but an ingredient for it.

DCU have parlayed an excellent sports science department into an excellent football college and if most people were in Moyna's shoes they'd probably have been just as forceful in building up the football program, indeed if they weren't they wouldn't have been doing their job as manager properly.

It's up to the GAA to set the limits colleges operate within, not managers' to take avantage of what is in place.

Hound

Personally I think Moyna is right to be annoyed. Of course his comments in the immediate aftermath of the decision were OTT, but I'm sure we've all had serious frustration at the machinations of the GAA at some time or other - "typical feckin GAA" when something has gone wrong at some level or another.

I think there's a big amount of begrudgery in some of the anti-Moyna comments. He feels his player has been hard done by, so he feels he has to speak out. A certain amount of over reaction but it is a huge decision for the two lads, and in Aidan Walsh's case (don't know the details of Boyle's case but its presumably very similar) it looks very unfair to me.

The rule is now that you can only qualify to play Sigerson while completing two separate courses. However, if you start a course and then drop out, that won't count - so long as you've all the official deregistration paperwork done by October.

When Walsh was doing his first course, he realised quickly that it wasnt for him, and dropped out. If the October rule had been in place back then, he would most certainly have completed all the paperwork by the deadline. But back then there was no such deadline, so he hadnt bothered with the paperwork until some later time.

The only reason Walsh is ineligible to play this year is because he missed the paperwork deadline - a deadline that didn't exist back then! Its completely and blatantly unfair in my view, and you can see why Moyna would be annoyed and why Walsh and his teammates would be scractching their heads about the GAA (not that any of them are going to give it up!)

DuffleKing

Mentioning Moyna in the same breath as top level coaches is the real travesty in this thread

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2013, 08:22:17 AM
Personally I think Moyna is right to be annoyed. Of course his comments in the immediate aftermath of the decision were OTT, but I'm sure we've all had serious frustration at the machinations of the GAA at some time or other - "typical feckin GAA" when something has gone wrong at some level or another.

I think there's a big amount of begrudgery in some of the anti-Moyna comments. He feels his player has been hard done by, so he feels he has to speak out. A certain amount of over reaction but it is a huge decision for the two lads, and in Aidan O'Shea's case (don't know the details of Boyle's case but its presumably very similar) it looks very unfair to me.

The rule is now that you can only qualify to play Sigerson while completing two separate courses. However, if you start a course and then drop out, that won't count - so long as you've all the official deregistration paperwork done by October.

When O'Shea was doing his first course, he realised quickly that it wasnt for him, and dropped out. If the October rule had been in place back then, he would most certainly have completed all the paperwork by the deadline. But back then there was no such deadline, so he hadnt bothered with the paperwork until some later time.

The only reason O'Shea is ineligible to play this year is because he missed the paperwork deadline - a deadline that didn't exist back then! Its completely and blatantly unfair in my view, and you can see why Moyna would be annoyed and why O'Shea and his teammates would be scractching their heads about the GAA (not that any of them are going to give it up!)

Aidan Walsh you mean. Aidan O'Shea is with DIT.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bingo

Don't doubt his comments was over the top but the rules as outlined by Hound are a bit of a joke. While I don't like what they are doing in terms of recruiting everyone, anyone who has had any players under their programmes at any level will get a better player back, thats for sure. Also, what they doing in terms of educating and giving players new careers is to be encouraged.

Moyna is very impressive to listen to in terms of player development, burnout, injury prevention and training regimes. Heard him a few times and his forward way of thinking for playing is very good and should be listened to. If we had more coaches with his outlook and attitude we'd have a better game, I think.

Just because he disagrees and crictises the GAA and the rules, doesn't mean he is against the GAA or anti-GAA. Fustration can lead to people saying rash things and if these are GAA people, should they not be listened too?

Hound

ck

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2013, 08:22:17 AM

I think there's a big amount of begrudgery in some of the anti-Moyna comments. He feels his player has been hard done by, so he feels he has to speak out. A certain amount of over reaction but it is a huge decision for the two lads, and in Aidan Walsh's case (don't know the details of Boyle's case but its presumably very similar) it looks very unfair to me.

When Walsh was doing his first course, he realised quickly that it wasnt for him, and dropped out. If the October rule had been in place back then, he would most certainly have completed all the paperwork by the deadline. But back then there was no such deadline, so he hadnt bothered with the paperwork until some later time.

The only reason Walsh is ineligible to play this year is because he missed the paperwork deadline - a deadline that didn't exist back then! Its completely and blatantly unfair in my view, and you can see why Moyna would be annoyed and why Walsh and his teammates would be scractching their heads about the GAA (not that any of them are going to give it up!)

Disagree completely. Your pro DCU stance implies that Walsh would have completed withdrawal papers had he known about the new rule.. A bit hard when not only was he a student till January but he played freshers football that year too. The fact is that Moyna poached yet anther player and got caught out this time because of the rule, so he huffs no puffs like a child since.

His quoting of Michael Murphy was disgraceful to say the least and says allot about Moyna that he would stoop to such pathetic levels.