Cant stand yapps like moyna

Started by Orchardman, February 07, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Not sure, I think they did take into consideration the sporting ability of students so you could get a course that you technically didn't have the points for but I don't think it made up a significant shortfall in academic points. I'd support such a system, Sigerson or no Sigerson, where sporting ability was taken into account for PE, sports science, sport related courses as academic ability shouldn't be the only criteria for entry into some courses, but that's a different discussion!

As long as Universities aren't getting lads into courses they have no chance of completing simply to play football then I'd have no issue with free accommodation, use of a car etc.. Good luck to lads talented enough to get these perks, it really is more of a bonus to their families than them as their parents would generally be forking out for accommodation and the like.

Sigerson is a great competition and if lads can get an education, improve their football and save a few pound then I see no issue.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Orchardman on February 13, 2013, 05:32:47 PM
Just read that interesting article by super joe brolly. One thing im wondering is:

Walsh dropped out of his first after a few weeks, fair enough. He then did a full Biology/PE course in CIT for 3 years, right?

So all he would need to do to become a teacher is to complete a one year H Dip ( that's what i did anyway). Why would he need to be enrolled on a 4 year degree again? I know murphy is also on course to be a PE/Biology teacher, surely this must be his 5th there now?

Even though i wouldn't have a pro or anti- DCU view, and I like to see general fair play and sigerson having proper rules and students, I think walsh could be unlucky enough with the ruling in this case.

Just so there's a bit of reality here. This is my understanding of the facts as I have ascertained from people I've spoken to.

Walsh was doing 1st year Engineering in CIT..he most certainly did NOT drop out after "a few weeks"...indeed records will likely show he played fresher football in jan/feb of that college year. He decided he didn't see his future in Engineering, so switched to diploma in health managment (or whatever its called) and completed that last May. (Not a course that generally leads to teaching study and really a stepping stone to further study..or becoming a gym instructor or that kind of stuff)

At some point during his last year of college he was contacted about the possibility of attending DCU...)Moyna claims he never contacted him or spoke to him prior to landing at DCU's doorstep which is horsesh*t) he was however informed by several people, as were DCU that he would be ruled ineligible for Sigerson due to the 3 course rule. DCU for whatever reason (I can only assume they thought Walsh had some sort of special case?) decided to go ahead with the process and Walsh was enrolled on a PE/Biology degree course (and given a scholarship/bursary). DCU were again informed on attempting to register Walsh for 3rd level gaa that he was ineligible for Sigerson and THEN months after being informed of this decided to kick up a fuss and start the campaign (still running) for "Justice for Aidan"..."GAA are trying to screw DCU"...etc.

Fact is, wherever its coming from and for whatever reason..DCU have huge bucks behind them and have gone around to talented U-21 players AND players from other 3rd level colleges offering them scholarships etc to sign up. Players have been known to be driving sponsored cars and the like for example.

To hear Moyna then, come out with rubbish like this, is most ironic. He would badly want to catch himself on.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

If only we'd got Moyna for the county job.. O how wonderful this thread would be.

You know, the more I think about it the happier I am about sports scholarships and even some of the associated goodies. It goes a long way to offering talented 17 and 18 year-olds that might be tempted to take a professional offer from a rugby province or an AFL rookie academy a real world reason to stick with gaelic, which in most cases is where their emotional choice lies anyways.

It also helps ward off the spectre of emmigration by pushing back the need for a full-time job another 4-6 years and at the end of it all the player has a degree and a reputation that makes it a little easier to find a job at home. I know we've got one of the most, err, educated panels in the country and it's doubtless that had this  recession hit a few decades ago our panel of almost entirely sub-25 year-old men would have been destroyed by emmigration because a whole lot more wouldn't have even had the option of going to college in a county with Roscommon's demographics.

Sure it mostly benefits the star players but where would our sport be without those same players? There's a positive trade-off here that few seem to want to admit to.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Missing the point completely.

I've no problem with scholarships for fellas leaving school. Every 3rd level institution has them, every province (I assume) has them....great, get more fellas an education while improving their football/hurling.

What I DO have a problem with is bringing players into a college SOLELY to play football/hurling with little or no regard to what course they do or how they fare academically. DCU,IT Tralee back in the day, LIT and a few other colleges have had a few guys in their mid 20's (or older!) who have very little bona fides as students and aside from being contrary to the spirit of Sigerson/Fitzgibbon, it is damaging for genuine GAA players in those colleges and ALSO for those "elite" players themselves, who at some point have to move on. Be interesting to see if Aidan Walsh is kept on at DCU for example now that he can't play for them. I couldn't put a figure on it, but the foolish decision he and Moyna took to push ahead with bringing him in could be a very costly mistake for him.

Sigerson/Fitzgibbon should be under 25/26 and allow players 4 years max, with exceptions being made for those doing Medicine/Dentistry which takes 5/6 years. Just my opinion.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2013, 03:38:44 AM
If only we'd got Moyna for the county job..

We certainly appear to have dodged a bullett by not being able to aff getting that lad.

rodney trotter

If only we'd got Moyna for the county job.. O how wonderful this thread would be.

And how exactly would Moyna getting the Roscommon job have made a difference to Walsh and Boyle being eligible?

Rossfan

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 15, 2013, 01:59:27 PM

And how exactly would Moyna getting the Roscommon job have made a difference to Walsh and Boyle being eligible?

Ahh now Rodney - you're not very well acquainted with Syferian logic  ;D

Syferus

You missed the point in the most complete fashion I've ever seen.

spuds

Great usage of the quote function chaps, impressive stuff. You were in danger Rossfan for a while of appearing semi-educated with your grammar correction vocation.  ???

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2013, 02:15:45 PM

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2013, 04:18:10 PM

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Quote from: spuds on February 15, 2013, 07:16:45 PM
Great usage of the quote function chaps, impressive stuff. You were in danger Rossfan for a while of appearing semi-educated with your grammar correction vocation.  ???

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2013, 02:15:45 PM

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2013, 04:18:10 PM

Haven't you little to be doin FataĆ­  ;D

neilthemac

the last we'll hear of Moyna for 2013, hopefully

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on February 22, 2013, 06:17:12 PM
the last we'll hear of Moyna for 2013, hopefully

Well, if you expect Down to sink faster than a Mayoman in a bar on Paddy's Day, sure! No more Moyna!