USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

not to worry we not have 13,000 there sunday either, could see the occasion where the away teams out numbers the home team, unless of course the sunday is shining

theticklemister

Ah come on wildweasel show a bit of faith!! We are going well with a new manager and squad. Im sure ye. Will find a lot travelling over the Glenshane!

western exile

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: southdown on May 28, 2013, 04:05:45 PM
Strange feeling knowing that whoever wins could well take a tanking in the next round :(

I really hope the Donegal team don't buy into this attitude!  Because I'm sure the bandwagon brigade will be filling their ears with the same shite. I think we'll beat the winner, mostly because of McGuinness's skills, but Donegal still have to pay Derry/Down the proper respect and prepare accordingly. Too many teams have been caught out too many times in the past especially in Ulster. I'll never forget the tanking Monaghan gave us in '95 after we strolled past AI champs Down. (Sunday was not the first time supporters were singing "cheerio" in Ballybofey!). Or Armagh 2004 after we beat Tyrone. Or Tyrone 2007 after we beat Armagh.

I agree with most of that, J70.

I would not be as pessimistic as some, and I don't think any of the players would be either.  This is a great opportunity for both teams. The winner will get a chance to test themselves against the reigning AI champions and the form team of the moment.  It should be about ambition. Which teams wants the most from this year? Any team that has sights on a long summer should be excited about facing up to the best at some stage.  Both Derry and Down might yet have a long summer regardless of the result of this game or the semi-final.

PAULD123

Great news that Donal O'Hare has been declared fit along with Danny Hughes and it looks like Aiden Carr will be capable of playing a part. Gordon, Garvey and McParland are reported as our only absentees. None have really played all season so we are not shocked by their absence. But it would have been really useful to have had big Dan.

If we progress through the summer would Dan become available. A broken foot should heal fully in three months shouldn't it, and he did it nearly a month ago. So isn't possible Dan would be back by the round 4 qualifier?

Also does anyone know if Shay McCartan has joined the squad?

rodney trotter

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 29, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
Great news that Donal O'Hare has been declared fit along with Danny Hughes and it looks like Aiden Carr will be capable of playing a part. Gordon, Garvey and McParland are reported as our only absentees. None have really played all season so we are not shocked by their absence. But it would have been really useful to have had big Dan.

If we progress through the summer would Dan become available. A broken foot should heal fully in three months shouldn't it, and he did it nearly a month ago. So isn't possible Dan would be back by the round 4 qualifier?

Isn't that the fella that was released by Burnely?, has he played much club football since he came back?

snoopdog

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 29, 2013, 10:52:01 PM

Isn't that the fella that was released by Burnely?, has he played much club football since he came back?
Outstanding underage talent. And i assume he has been training all year with whatever team he was loaned out to.
Maybe the lad wants a break from football after the dissapointment of not making the big time. But would be a great addition to a Down forward line. Has a great eye for goal.

western exile

Quote from: snoopdog on May 30, 2013, 10:46:59 AM

Outstanding underage talent. And i assume he has been training all year with whatever team he was loaned out to.
Maybe the lad wants a break from football after the dissapointment of not making the big time. But would be a great addition to a Down forward line. Has a great eye for goal.
That sums up Down football, year after year, decade after decade.
I long for the next Paddy Kennedy

Mourne Rover

Western Exile is right about Paddy Kennedy, who was good enough to win an All Star in 1981 at a time when very few came north. The funny thing is that Down had two other equally good full backs then in Tommy McGovern and Mark Turley who had to be moved to either the corner or the half backs. Our production line of natural number threes came to a halt some time ago, although in fairness both Benny McArdle and Dan Gordon have done well there when when shifted from their recognised positions.

Anyway, the official team for Celtic Park has just been named.

Mc Veigh

D Mc Cartan Mc Ardle Boyle

Rooney P Turley Quinn

Rogers Mc Kernan

Madine Poland Coulter

O Hare King Laverty.

It's a reasonable looking line-up after all the injuries, although there is a prospect of some positional switches and it would not be a surprise if Ryan Mallon started as well.

5 Sams

Rusty wasnt bad either. At his peak in the early 80s after winning his AI minor medal in 77. But he simply couldn't break through the 3 lads you mentioned.
Turley was captain when we won the league in 83 and Tommy McGovern was exceptional.....superb footballer. Kennedy was a rolls Royce.
The Aristocrat Years

Estimator

Derry (v Down): Eoin McNicholl; Gerard O'Kane, Chrissy McKaigue, Ryan Scott; Charlie Kielt, Mark Lynch, Sean Leo McGoldrick; Patsy Bradley, Ryan Bell; Aidan McAlynn, James Kielt, Enda Lynn; Benny Heron, Eoin Bradley, Coilin Devlin.

Substitutes: Thomas Mallon, Declan Brown, Dermot McBride, Brian McCallion, Conor McAtamney, Kevin Johnston, Bliain Gormley, Declan Mullan, Emmett Mc Guckin, Lee Kennedy, Aaron Devlin
Ulster League Champions 2009

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

umpire

Quote from: snoopdog on May 30, 2013, 10:46:59 AM

Burnley has resign Shay McCartan for another 2 years

Wildweasel74

slight surprise in some players starting who have played little through the league, very young and inexperienced sub bench. Alot of good players not on the panel currently injured at present. I know Micheal Friel wasnt too hot last yr but was very impressive in 2011 and i cant believe he not in the panel with PJ out injured, and diver retired, Midfield looks risky with Patsy carrying a injury. I dont know how fit Paddy Bradley is, but we 1 guy starting who was out as long as he was, and given the league not started too long in Derry he been called back into the panel after injury, makes me wonder what form he picked on if PB been told he not be back to he shows some form for his club. he been a big benefit on a sub bench light on experience. PJ and barry McGoldrick must be further off the pace than i thought. C Mullan and C McWilliams also looked as if they be in the 24 earlier in the yr. is mark Craig back playing for Dungiven yet>? Def not the strongest panel we would have out when Emmett bradley, C McFaul and McCamley, D Heavern, R ferris, if not injured / lacking match practice would been in contention too. What i give to get  a full year with no players injured

5 Sams

Quote from: Minder on May 30, 2013, 10:19:16 PM
Derry v Down 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxU9aCiLW3o&sns=em

A few random memories from that day. Jerome's dodgy jacket...we gave him some stick....he was interviewing Sean McCague live on TV. we all chanted "you bought your coat in Tavey's" >:( ;D
That was the start of the 94 World Cup and we went back to some pub close to the ground to watch the game and Barry Breen, Ross, Greg and a few others joined us for a few pints. Best memory of the lot was a masterclass by Mickey.....unreal day...great memories.
The Aristocrat Years

theticklemister

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 30, 2013, 10:53:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 30, 2013, 10:19:16 PM
Derry v Down 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxU9aCiLW3o&sns=em

A few random memories from that day. Jerome's dodgy jacket...we gave him some stick....he was interviewing Sean McCague live on TV. we all chanted "you bought your coat in Tavey's" >:( ;D
That was the start of the 94 World Cup and we went back to some pub close to the ground to watch the game and Barry Breen, Ross, Greg and a few others joined us for a few pints. Best memory of the lot was a masterclass by Mickey.....unreal day...great memories.

What about the slogan in the middle of the pitch getting painted over???

Yeah agree with wildweasel, we are more short than I thought beforehand. Only 1 recognised midfielder on the bench and he hasn't touched leather all year. Very young bench and very light physically.

For once we would be physically very small in the starting 15 also, but maybe this will lend us to moving the ball at speed instead which will be of an advantage.

Well it is great to know that these players will come back in for Donegal when we beat Down!