USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

DOWN: Brendan McVeigh; Daniel McCartan, Brendan McArdle, Ryan Boyle; Declan Rooney, Peter Turley, Keith Quinn; Ambrose Rogers, Kevin McKernan; Niall Madine, Mark Poland, Benny Coulter; Donal O'Hara, Kalum King, Conor Laverty.

Looks like high balls into Kalum King with Laverty getting the breaking ball.

Mourne Rover

At the risk of correcting such a distinguished commentator as 5 Sams, the Derry/Down classic of May 29, 1994 was shortly before and not during the World Cup. The Republic of Ireland played a friendly away to Germany that evening and amazingly enough won 2-0 (Tony Cascarino and Gary Kelly). We also adjourned to a bar after Celtic Park to watch the soccer, and it neatly rounded off a day of days.

elk

any minor line ups announced yet?

theticklemister

Ulster GAA wishes to advise patrons travelling to Sunday's games in Celtic Park, Derry to take account of the fact that the "Walled City" Marathon is also taking place in the areas in proximity to the venue from 8.30am on the day.

As a result some partial road closures and temporary traffic restrictions will be in place on the approaches to Celtic Park, particularly around the Craigavon Bridge area.

We would ask supporters to:

- Travel early, leaving additional time for their journey.
- Follow directional electronic signage and car parking signage in the city to avoid disruption.
- Down supporters are recommended to travel from the Omagh, Strabane approach (A5) to enter Derry via Lifford or from Newbuildings use the Foyle Bridge.
- Derry supporters travelling via Dungiven are advised to use the Foyle Bridge and those travelling from the North West of the County are asked to come via Limavady/Ballykelly and use the Foyle Bridge.

Down lads coming via omagh and strabane it looks like they are asking ye to come in from one part of the city go through the waterside over the foyle bridge and come right down the cityside. This could add at about 30 minutes onto your trip, by the looks of it they wont let ye over the old blue bridge. Be warned.

On the other hand when ye hit strabane go over to lifford and up through donegal and keep going on the road to derry until ye come to the brandywell and it will be much quicker and handier.

Drici is gonna give me a disgruntled text shortly for helping ye Down rule 21ers and 42ers out!!!!!!!!!!

DownFanatic

Quote from: theticklemister on May 30, 2013, 11:35:46 PM

DOWN: Brendan McVeigh; Daniel McCartan, Brendan McArdle, Ryan Boyle; Declan Rooney, Peter Turley, Keith Quinn; Ambrose Rogers, Kevin McKernan; Niall Madine, Mark Poland, Benny Coulter; Donal O'Hara, Kalum King, Conor Laverty.

Looks like high balls into Kalum King with Laverty getting the breaking ball.

King is well adept at playing full forward. Plays quite a lot there with his club. Wouldn't expect him to be in there the whole game though.
Still think Ryan Mallon will start somewhere.
I doubt that starting XV will be the same as the one that takes to the field on Sunday afternoon.

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on May 30, 2013, 11:58:49 PM
Ulster GAA wishes to advise patrons travelling to Sunday's games in Celtic Park, Derry to take account of the fact that the "Walled City" Marathon is also taking place in the areas in proximity to the venue from 8.30am on the day.

As a result some partial road closures and temporary traffic restrictions will be in place on the approaches to Celtic Park, particularly around the Craigavon Bridge area.

We would ask supporters to:

- Travel early, leaving additional time for their journey.
- Follow directional electronic signage and car parking signage in the city to avoid disruption.
- Down supporters are recommended to travel from the Omagh, Strabane approach (A5) to enter Derry via Lifford or from Newbuildings use the Foyle Bridge.
- Derry supporters travelling via Dungiven are advised to use the Foyle Bridge and those travelling from the North West of the County are asked to come via Limavady/Ballykelly and use the Foyle Bridge.

Down lads coming via omagh and strabane it looks like they are asking ye to come in from one part of the city go through the waterside over the foyle bridge and come right down the cityside. This could add at about 30 minutes onto your trip, by the looks of it they wont let ye over the old blue bridge. Be warned.

On the other hand when ye hit strabane go over to lifford and up through donegal and keep going on the road to derry until ye come to the brandywell and it will be much quicker and handier.

Drici is gonna give me a disgruntled text shortly for helping ye Down rule 21ers and 42ers out!!!!!!!!!!
I would be very wary about going via Lifford. Down cars could easily get caught up in a Donegal swarm. Surrounded by up to 15 cars plus Jimmy McGuiness and a very frightening experience. 

yellowcard

Looking at the 2 starting teams I would fancy Derry to narrowly win this game in a low scoring affair cos I'm reliably informed that McCartan is playing even more defensive this year.

Fuzzman

Quote from: theticklemister on May 30, 2013, 11:58:49 PM

About a mile or two outside Lifford (just past Shay Given's home place on the left) ye have to turn right at the Rosgier inn. It's not a great road but might save ye a good few miles rather than follow the sign post to Derry up the N14 & N13
http://goo.gl/maps/EoyyY

theticklemister

J OGorman

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2013, 10:24:38 AM
Looking at the 2 starting teams I would fancy Derry to narrowly win this game in a low scoring affair cos I'm reliably informed that McCartan is playing even more defensive this year.

I'd say there wont be a game Derry plays in this year that will be low scoring ! Dry, no wind, James Kielt...plenty of scores (at both ends!) Looking forward to a good hardy contest

seafoid

yellowcard

Quote from: J OGorman on May 31, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2013, 10:24:38 AM

I'd say there wont be a game Derry plays in this year that will be low scoring ! Dry, no wind, James Kielt...plenty of scores (at both ends!) Looking forward to a good hardy contest

Derry might have a high scoring rate under McIver but if Down's main aim is to not concede then it could reduce their scoring threat. The fact that McIver will have worked with Down a few years ago may be a slight help as well. Looking at that Down line up there are only about 7 players that started the AI final in 2010, thats a fair turnover of players.

The division 2 form guide is not exactly looking too good however though with the results to date of Armagh,  Laois, Galway and Longford not working out too well.

5 Sams

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 30, 2013, 11:38:24 PM
At the risk of correcting such a distinguished commentator as 5 Sams, the Derry/Down classic of May 29, 1994 was shortly before and not during the World Cup. The Republic of Ireland played a friendly away to Germany that evening and amazingly enough won 2-0 (Tony Cascarino and Gary Kelly). We also adjourned to a bar after Celtic Park to watch the soccer, and it neatly rounded off a day of days.
I stand corrected ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Aristo 60

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2013, 11:39:29 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 30, 2013, 11:38:24 PM
I stand corrected ;)

Neither of ye should have been watching soccerball anyhow  >:( on what was such a beautiful day of football  :)

Mourne Rover

Aristo, you are allowed to watch soccer as long as you don't enjoy it. For example, also in 1994, the World Cup final was on the same day as the Ulster final. The game played on a scorching day on Clones was absolutely brilliant, with Mickey Linden inspiring Down to lift the Anglo-Celt. Brazil then bored everyone to death by winning on penalties after 120 minutes with no score in Pasadena.  As Down fans were still out celebrating their magnificent triumph earlier in the day, allowing the World Cup to be on television in the background was permissible.