USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

This will be an open game with high scoring i think, both teams like to score goals. There is after the weekend the sense of inevitablity among supporters but if i were a player i'd love the opportunity to knock Donegal off their perch no hard that might prove to be. Looking forward to this game and still a number of key positions in the Derry team that aren't known who will start.

DownFanatic

Very low key build up in Down this week. Mightn't be a bad thing.
Still think we are a better team than Derry with more big match players.
An exciting open game is in the offing.
Minors have the capability to make it a double in Celtic Park. Watch out for Conor Doyle and Cory Quinn up front. Lethal finishers.

DennistheMenace

Funny i fancy Derry minors and seniors to both win too!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 28, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Minors have the capability to make it a double in Celtic Park. Watch out for Conor Doyle and Cory Quinn up front. Lethal finishers.

Watch out for the best man marker in Ulster. Oisin Hegarty :)

southdown

Strange feeling knowing that whoever wins could well take a tanking in the next round :(

elk

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 28, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Think both games will be very tight. Derry minors with the St. Pats boys on board might be slight favourites with home advantage and Down seniors might just edge it due to the fact that they have been playing against better opposition this season .

J70

Quote from: southdown on May 28, 2013, 04:05:45 PM
Strange feeling knowing that whoever wins could well take a tanking in the next round :(

I really hope the Donegal team don't buy into this attitude!  Because I'm sure the bandwagon brigade will be filling their ears with the same shite. I think we'll beat the winner, mostly because of McGuinness's skills, but Donegal still have to pay Derry/Down the proper respect and prepare accordingly. Too many teams have been caught out too many times in the past especially in Ulster. I'll never forget the tanking Monaghan gave us in '95 after we strolled past AI champs Down. (Sunday was not the first time supporters were singing "cheerio" in Ballybofey!). Or Armagh 2004 after we beat Tyrone. Or Tyrone 2007 after we beat Armagh.

Aristo 60

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2013, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: southdown on May 28, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

I really hope the Donegal team don't buy into this attitude!  Because I'm sure the bandwagon brigade will be filling their ears with the same shite. I think we'll beat the winner, mostly because of McGuinness's skills, but Donegal still have to pay Derry/Down the proper respect and prepare accordingly. Too many teams have been caught out too many times in the past especially in Ulster. I'll never forget the tanking Monaghan gave us in '95 after we strolled past AI champs Down. Or Armagh 2004 after we beat Tyrone. Or Tyrone 2007 after we beat Armagh.

There would have been a certain false reading of things there after too much partying in the Mournes!

snoopdog

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 28, 2013, 03:50:11 PM
unfortunately the terrible throw in time for the minor game and clash with the marathon will prob mean most people will miss the minors.
Its a long enough drive without having to leave even earlier to avoid traffic. I would say if im in the ground for 1.50pm i will be happy enough.

elk

Quote from: snoopdog on May 28, 2013, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 28, 2013, 03:50:11 PM
unfortunately the terrible throw in time for the minor game and clash with the marathon will prob mean most people will miss the minors.
Its a long enough drive without having to leave even earlier to avoid traffic. I would say if im in the ground for 1.50pm i will be happy enough.
What time does the marathon start?

theticklemister

starts at 8.30 from prehen (waterside area just about 0.5 mile from blue bridge coming from strabane direction). It should be finished in time. mind ye however there are bound to loads of people walking the marathon so it may take longer and the track and places cordoned off is going to have be partitioned until the last person finishes the race. there could be trouble ahead, no official announcement yet from the uk city of culture offices stating if there is going to be a clash.

not sure of the route.

Rois

Miles 8-13 are out the direction of the Letterkenny Road, so would likely be clear by the time match traffic would hit.  On that basis, you should check the route coming through Strabane, cross the border at Lifford, and go through St Johnstone and Carrigans.  The marathon does run that route but if it starts at 8.30, you'd imagine most will be through 12 miles in 4 hours, even if they are walking!  It is a pretty handy drive to Celtic Park that way if any Down supporters are coming under Lough Neagh and through Omagh, Strabane. 
We always go that route when going to Celtic Park. 

SHEEDY

whats the parking situation like in the vicinity of celtic park? why was the marathon and the match allowed to clash like this? surely the ulster council could have switched the match to the Saturday evening to avoid any clash.
nil satis nisi optimum

theticklemister

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 28, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
whats the parking situation like in the vicinity of celtic park? why was the marathon and the match allowed to clash like this? surely the ulster council could have switched the match to the Saturday evening to avoid any clash.

Why should the GAA switch?

Parking maybe a bit cramped, tis wile since we have had 13,000 or so at a game. But doesnt matter where ye park in brandywell, creggan or bog; it is not a long walk to pitch.