Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on March 21, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2014, 11:51:48 AM
If the soccer team had of been part of a tournament that had only 5 teams in it for the majority of it's existence I'm sure they won have won it a few times as well.

The same could be said of the provincial hurling championships.

Be careful deiseach, you might be bordering  on  criticizing the 'GREATEST.GAME.EVER!!!!!'

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2014, 12:40:33 PM
Be careful deiseach, you might be bordering  on  criticizing the 'GREATEST.GAME.EVER!!!!!™'

Fixed that for you.

screenexile

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 12:07:28 PM
The key to coming across as being knowledgeable about rugby depends on the amount of jargon you can throw into conversations. I hereby give you, the reader, a crash ball course in fluent rogbish for those awkward water cooler moments. Despite the following being a load of utter gibberish, you'll come across as an expert - because none of the so called "rugby fans" you'll be talking to have a clue abut the game.

Ireland's win was a result of all the work they've done on the training paddock. In a tactic that was referenced by POC at the traditional Captain's Run on Friday, their choke tackles and can openers created space for the jackals to run through. They were also dominant at the breakdown and set pieces. Our groundhogs worked hard to forage and recycle and avoided being pinged for their hoovering, refused to give up cheap yards, and used the pick and go and truck and trailor with success. They also got the bind very effectively at scrum time which enabled Conor Murray to use his lovely soft hands to make a pop pass to the broken field runners or to Jonny Sexton who was sitting in the pocket. Jonny's game has really benefitted since he pitched up in the Top Quatorze. It's just as well Ireland won as the sword of Damocles would have been out for Joe Schmidt if they'd lost.

That's brilliant... truck and trailer with succcess!

The equivalent of telling our GAA players to pick the ball straight off the ground with success!

BennyCake

You'll always get bandwagon jumpers, but if Ireland won the rugby World Cup, I still wouldn't give two fiddlers frig about it. I wouldn't even watch it if they won it.

I think a hell of a lot of rugby "followers" don't even know the rules or even played or been to a game. Maybe it's all about being patriotic or something. I couldn't give a toss. Why would I? I, like most people, have absolutely no connection to the game. In fact, I would go as far to say I want to see them beat in every match. Even against England.

Walter Cronc

I still can't figure out how a man from Trillick is such an expert on the 6 Nations thread!!

johnneycool

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 21, 2014, 01:07:21 PM
I still can't figure out how a man from Trillick is such an expert on the 6 Nations thread!!

Maybe he lined out for Clogher Valley in his day!!

Zulu

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2014, 01:05:07 PM
You'll always get bandwagon jumpers, but if Ireland won the rugby World Cup, I still wouldn't give two fiddlers frig about it. I wouldn't even watch it if they won it.

I think a hell of a lot of rugby "followers" don't even know the rules or even played or been to a game. Maybe it's all about being patriotic or something. I couldn't give a toss. Why would I? I, like most people, have absolutely no connection to the game. In fact, I would go as far to say I want to see them beat in every match. Even against England.

Why would you want to see them lose though? I presume you have little or no interest in show jumping, cricket or hockey but do you want to see those Irish teams lose?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2014, 01:17:06 PM

Exactly!! I played in that bog a few times, and rugby is one thing they are not well versed for.

Rossfan

+1.
Thank God there's at least 2 of us sane in this Country.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kimbap

So you want to see Ireland lose at sports you have no connection with?

What a strange and bitter attitude to have.

BennyCake

Quote from: Zulu on March 21, 2014, 01:30:36 PM

Why would you want to see them lose though? I presume you have little or no interest in show jumping, cricket or hockey but do you want to see those Irish teams lose?

Going back to that article posted earlier, because it is hyped up beyond belief. The way the game is portrayed, it's like this unbelievable spectacle. It's a terrible game, worse than American Football, and it's brutal!

Like the others you mentioned, it's an elitist sport played by the upper classes. That's reason enough to want them to lose.

Kimbap

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2014, 01:50:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 21, 2014, 01:30:36 PM

Going back to that article posted earlier, because it is hyped up beyond belief. The way the game is portrayed, it's like this unbelievable spectacle. It's a terrible game, worse than American Football, and it's brutal!

Like the others you mentioned, it's an elitist sport played by the upper classes. That's reason enough to want them to lose.

"Like the others you mentioned, it's an elitist sport played by the upper classes. That's reason enough to want them to lose."

Thats a tired old cliche trotted out by those who know nothing of the game today.
If you don't like the game and think its brutal,then fair enough,but if you're going to air opinions on it at least try to sound like you know what you're talking about.

The above outdated and frankly bullsh1t sentiment is similar to other people saying GAA is only played by muck savages down the country.Or soccer is only played by scumbags in Dublin.

I watched my nephew represent my old school in the Connacht cup on Wednesday against Roscommon.Neither team had ever been in the final before and there was no rugby played at my school only 10 years ago.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 21, 2014, 01:36:55 PM

Exactly!! I played in that bog a few times, and rugby is one thing they are not well versed for.

Big weekend for Clogher Valley this weekend, they play Wanderers in the Round Robin in Lansdowne Rd. Winners of the Round Robin get promoted to the AIL.
#newbridgeornowhere

BennyCake

Kimbap, many sports are played in schools these days, and even when I was at school. But it's mainly those who attend private colleges that go on to play at a high level. ie, you need to be a toff.

PAULD123

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 12:07:28 PM
The key to coming across as being knowledgeable about rugby depends on the amount of jargon you can throw into conversations. I hereby give you, the reader, a crash ball course in fluent rogbish for those awkward water cooler moments. Despite the following being a load of utter gibberish, you'll come across as an expert - because none of the so called "rugby fans" you'll be talking to have a clue abut the game.

Ireland's win was a result of all the work they've done on the training paddock. In a tactic that was referenced by POC at the traditional Captain's Run on Friday, their choke tackles and can openers created space for the jackals to run through. They were also dominant at the breakdown and set pieces. Our groundhogs worked hard to forage and recycle and avoided being pinged for their hoovering, refused to give up cheap yards, and used the pick and go and truck and trailor with success. They also got the bind very effectively at scrum time which enabled Conor Murray to use his lovely soft hands to make a pop pass to the broken field runners or to Jonny Sexton who was sitting in the pocket. Jonny's game has really benefitted since he pitched up in the Top Quatorze. It's just as well Ireland won as the sword of Damocles would have been out for Joe Schmidt if they'd lost.

No Sidney, the key to success of being knowledgeable involves knowing what you are talking about Something which you clearly don't.

Truck and trailer is not something you can use successfully, it is an infringement causing offside that you get penalised for.

Johnny Sexton's game has not improved from moving to Paris, in fact he is looking jaded as he plays considerably more matches. Everyone interested in Irish rugby knows he would benefit more from being back home and managed and sheltered by the IRFU.

Again, Sexton - unlike many fly-half's does not spend a lot of time in the pocket but tends to play flat up on the line, which is precisely why he has been able to score 4 tries in the tournament (more than any other fly-half)

The choke tackles did not create space for anyone to run through. the choke tackle brings play to a halt and allows a scrum restart (in Ireland's favor if done right)

No one says Connor Murray has soft hands - why the hell would a scrum half want a soft touch???? - Hello!! knock-ons everywhere!!

Seriously, you know nothing about this sport and as such have very little credibility to attack it. You also make a fool of yourself with such blatantly ignorant comments. So go ahead, wander on down to a rugby match and quote some of that garbage and see how knowledgeable it makes you sound? See how knowledgeable you feel when they are all laughing their tits of at you.