Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2014, 02:19:25 PM
Kimbap, many sports are played in schools these days, and even when I was at school. But it's mainly those who attend private colleges that go on to play at a high level. ie, you need to be a toff.

Yeah, Sean O'Brien is a toff. And John Hayes is a toff, and sure you can see Keith Earls from Moyross, big toff. I think the professional era has knocked that on the head all over the country, and I'm not sure even in the amateur days I'd have been calling lads from the Island field in Limerick toffs.

Kimbap

Kimbap, many sports are played in schools these days, and even when I was at school. But it's mainly those who attend private colleges that go on to play at a high level. ie, you need to be a toff.

Ah look,we'll leave it at that so.

You are either genuinely ignorant or on a wind up,either way im not interested.

Walter Cronc

BOD's parents were/are both doctors as far as I know.

That doesnt make them toffs to me. I'd say they are middle class and have done well for themselves (through hard work).

Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder.

Sidney

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 21, 2014, 02:24:12 PM

Seriously, you know nothing about this sport and as such have very little credibility to attack it. You also make a fool of yourself with such blatantly ignorant comments. So go ahead, wander on down to a rugby match and quote some of that garbage and see how knowledgeable it makes you sound? See how knowledgeable you feel when they are all laughing their tits of at you.
Thinly veiled "most rugby fans are either women or have man boobs".

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 02:24:58 PM

Yeah, Sean O'Brien is a toff. And John Hayes is a toff, and sure you can see Keith Earls from Moyross, big toff. I think the professional era has knocked that on the head all over the country, and I'm not sure even in the amateur days I'd have been calling lads from the Island field in Limerick toffs.
Wow. Three. It's like saying that rugby in South Africa is not a white game, because look at Bryan Habana, the Beast and Chester Williams.

AZOffaly

OK, donnahca Ryan from Nenagh, Peter Clohessy, the Currow Lads. Do I have to keep going?

Sidney

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 21, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
BOD's parents were/are both doctors as far as I know.

That doesnt make them toffs to me. I'd say they are middle class and have done well for themselves (through hard work).

Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder.
BOD had your average, normal upbringing, with two parents doctors, living in Clontarf and going to Blackrock College. Your average, normal upbringing, the same as everybody else.

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 02:51:57 PM
OK, donnahca Ryan from Nenagh, Peter Clohessy, the Currow Lads. Do I have to keep going?
Yes.

Because I can come up with a list of names far longer than you can.

Puckoon

Did the two parents just get elevated to being Doctors? Picked out of a lottery?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 02:53:37 PM
Yes.

So you can come up with a long list of Toffs, and I can come up with a list of lads who I certainly wouldn't call toffs. That would almost make it a game everyone can play!

Zulu

The Claw wasn't particularly refined but he was no working class hero. His family were millionaires!

Walter Cronc

Did quite a number of Dublin lads from Kilmacud not attend Blackrock??

Mark Vaughan went there ffs!!!

AZOffaly

Sidney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 02:56:38 PM
Yes.

So you can come up with a long list of Toffs, and I can come up with a list of lads who I certainly wouldn't call toffs. That would almost make it a game everyone can play!
Can you name me somebody from a working class area of Dublin who has played international rugby?

Tubberman

Quote from: Sidney on March 21, 2014, 03:03:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 02:56:38 PM
Yes.

Can you name me somebody from a working class area of Dublin who has played international rugby?

Trevor Brennan
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."