Jimmy's throwing hacks out!

Started by T Fearon, September 23, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 05:03:38 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 27, 2012, 05:00:07 PM
I didn't know the winning manager had to congratulate the losers?

I thought the tradition was the losing manager came into the winning dressing room to say:
"Well done. Ye were the better team ON THE DAY"...Implying that the losing team are usually the better team every other day.

That's what I've being thinking. My only memory of ever seeing it on screen - and I admit it might be a false memory - is of a Galway mentor going into the Offaly dressing room to congratulate them in the 1985 final.
Micko Dwyer did it in the Galway dressing room in 1998 as seen in "A Year Till Sunday".
I'm nearly sure I saw footage of him doing the same in 1982 in the Offaly dressing room.

I think it was Cork who got the hump when Babs Keating didn't congratulate them on winning the 1990 Donkey Derby Munster Final. Or maybe it was when Clare beat Tipp in 1994?
Either way, Keating made the excuse afterwards that he wasn't able to fight his into the dressing room with all the crowds.

Mentalman

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 05:05:20 PM
I can see your point, but if it's obligatory then it renders the gesture meaningless

Granted. I'd always try to do it myself, especially with the underage teams, and especially if they'd been wailed on, and ensure my team knew it was done, but wouldn't feel it's obligatory by any means.

To the point in hand, if J McG didn't do it, by accident or design, that's his look out. Maybe it's not his practice? Just something else to fire up Mayo with next season I guess?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

TyrionLannister

Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2012, 05:07:48 PM
exactly, didnt tick all the boxes. Did he forget? Tried and Mayo had left? Wouldnt be bothered? Who knows?

The priority was winning the AI for his county.

You still suing the local council?

For the smell of the bullshit coming out of your mouth I am thinking of bring a lawsuit against you

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:59:13 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 04:43:01 PM
This is going to sound very cruel, but if what's bothering losers about losing is the failure of the winners to commiserate with them, maybe that's why they're losers.

Hardy, do you know if there were many handshakes between the Meath and Cork teams of the late 80's? It took the death of John Kerins to eradicate the bitterness between the two teams. Any handshakes that took place were utterly meaningless in that context.

There were the usual perfunctory handshakes on the field but they did indeed strongly dislike each other. Hayes, for instance, describes in his book the farcical situation where the two teams found themselves sharing the same resort (maybe hotel?) on a foreign holiday and many of them (though not all) doing their best to ignore each other. And you're right, those on  both sides cite John Kerins's funeral as the occasion of a coming to the senses for both parties.

And it wasn't just the players. The supporters didn't like each other much either.

Edit: sorry - just noticed your link covering much of the above.

J OGorman

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 05:16:26 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 27, 2012, 05:07:48 PM
exactly, didnt tick all the boxes. Did he forget? Tried and Mayo had left? Wouldnt be bothered? Who knows?

The priority was winning the AI for his county.

You still suing the local council?

For the smell of the bullshit coming out of your mouth I am thinking of bring a lawsuit against you

...ing

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

T Fearon

Frank might have name checked the original instigator of the thread!  ;D

Bud Wiser

Frank is a nice lad, don't forget he gave Conal a few column inches to promote our gaaboard.com charity golf outing last year for Pietta and Cormac Trust. Be nice now, we might need him again ¡¡
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

This is going to sound very cruel, but if what's bothering losers about losing is the failure of the winners to commiserate with them, maybe that's why they're losers.

Nail on head.

I'm not sure that James Horan is pissed off about this. The only thing I've heard from the Mayo camp is no excuses, no excuses for the goals and acceptance that basic execution of skills let us down.

This pragmatic acceptance and lack of shite talk gives me hope.

T Fearon

Expect a cheque made out to "Bingo" to the value of 50 cents,to drop through your letter box any day now.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on September 27, 2012, 10:47:22 PM

Nail on head.

I'm not sure that James Horan is pissed off about this. The only thing I've heard from the Mayo camp is no excuses, no excuses for the goals and acceptance that basic execution of skills let us down.

This pragmatic acceptance and lack of shite talk gives me hope.
Spot on. Chatting to two of the lads and that's exactly their attitude.

Ohtoohtobe

Frank might be a nice lad but I don't think it's funny to joke about journalists' cowardly abandonment of a colleague who had been slandered for the crime of writing a book that if anything, praised mein fuhrer, I mean McGuinness.
People who stand for nothing will fall for anything.